Extremely Ill Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaBella

Original Poster
I gave her the medications just after 3, she seemed tuckered out when she went to bed but she has been....I kept her heat on even though she likes to sleep cool because I was worried and didn't want to chance it...she moved out of her covers and I put her back...an hour later I checked she had moved out again, I thought I'd just snuggle her a while anyway but she was unresponsive when I picked her up...I saw no signs of breathing...they make no sound and I can't help but worry she was scared and trying to get out of bed to find me and that breaks my heart now that I put her back the first time...I just thought she needed her rest...I turned all of her lights on, got my husband, got dressed to run to the e.r but she was already gone...her eyes stared to nothing with no response to light...she passed just after 11....I'm so crushed...angry that parasites wasn't checked for in the beginning...I trusted the doctor and I should've done more research myself...this was our first beardie...we certainly learned a lot in that two wonderful years...her spirit was beautiful, kind, gentle, loving, strong...I can't help but think she wasn't strong enough for harsh medicines...I was just so afraid because she seemed to be losing the battle again and so excited to have an aim finally to attack...I wish I'd considered getting her fed and hydrated again...getting more probiotics in...idk anything to get her strong enough to handle the meds maybe...she was only two...she was absolutely amazing and my heart is so broken right now...thank you all so very much...I can't remember what the comments asked if anything and will get back on here another day and answer...but that's what happened in case you all have any ideas....I can't imagine another for a long time right now...but I so enjoyed her and no doubt when I heal I'll try again, there's just something beautiful that stirs my soul for beardies, I'm sure you all understand❤️???❤️

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry to hear, and you tried so hard to help her.
Many, many, many, if not all of us, fully understand what you're going through.

I am so sorry for your loss

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh my, I just now saw your post, I was coming to check on how she was handling the new meds...I was so happy that you had finally gotten a diagnosis and had a plan to get her on the road to recovery, the poor girl was most likely just infested with parasites, which explains why she was losing weight, they feed on all of the nutrition they eat, not allowing any for the beardie...I'm just so sorry, you tried so hard to help her and you did absolutely everything that you could for her. This is in no way your fault, she was likely sick when you rescued her, and she was a fighter. But without a vet to run the correct tests and get an accurate diagnosis, there was nothing you could do. It's such a shame she was put on antibiotics that she most likely didn't need based simply on signs of an infection... Unfortunately we're still in a time when most vets don't have a clue about diagnosing and treating reptiles, I wish they'd all be required to take continuing education classes and get certain certifications before they are even allowed to see reptiles or birds, the same issue goes on in avian medicine, they treat them like they treat dogs, and they aren't dogs!

I'm so, so sorry, I know how much you loved her...She's at peace now, she's no longer tired or sick, and no more medications that make her sick...If you need anything or I can help you with anything just ask, I feel gutted over this one... Positive energy your way...

court

I just wanted you to know you're not alone that I completely understand how you feel and if you need somebody to vent to or talk to I'm here for support if you need it

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I just saw your post! I'm so sorry!!! {{{HUGS}}} It's so hard when they are sick :( You did your best. I went through similar with my Evee from last June till she passed in February this year (she had been previously neglected by her previous owners). It hurts like hell. And yes, we definitely understand. I'm so sorry for your loss.

StellaBella

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for the sympathy, support, and kind words...I truly appreciate you all on this forum and there's something to be said for the connection and understanding with others who understand. For now I'm just trying to get over the anger for how it all happened and mourning for her beautiful spirit I miss so very much...there have to be better resources in my state for reptile care and I'll search that out more thoroughly before I venture forward and educate myself more thoroughly as well. This was my first beardie and man she stole my heart so I'm just trying to keep going for my family as best I can, I'm sure I'll allow myself to process more once the kids are in school so maybe holding onto the anger is the only way I can get through right now. I bought cleaner to kill coccidia but had no idea what it was...I should've done more research on my own, too and I have to own that which is also hard...so before I venture out again I'll be more prepared and am forever grateful for all of you in this forum and hope to be able to help someone else someday when I'm ready. Thank You with all my heart so very much, I'm so glad you're all here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom