Extremely Ill Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaBella

Original Poster
I was able to bring a stool sample in so we will hear back on that Monday...her weight was down to 390 which is super scrawny for her but the vet said her fat pads in her belly felt ok still and she wasn't as concerned about that...although her abdomen looks swollen she felt and said there is no fluid and doesn't feel at all constipated...she still has some pink in her mouth so she's not worried about her iron anymore...we hydrated and tube fed again
I have given her a small amount of probiotics but wasn't sure how much she can have...I didn't know I could give her bee pollen...I have some for allergies so once she processes this critical care from the vet I'll add bee pollen into her reptiboost to give her, thanks for the tip!
I'm trying to be patient while she heals it's just sooo hard...thank you all so much!!!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Poor girl, she's worn out from all of this crap! I don't blame her at all, lol. Really, I know it's hard to be patient, I'd want her 100% better right now too, it's so hard to not be able to help them, but she's just been through so much, she's still very weak, she had severe iron deficient anemia, which can take a lot out of anyone, and I'm sure her tummy and her intestines aren't feeling the best yet either. I'd definitely give her probiotics every day, the amount depends on what you're using, if you tell us we can help with the dosing. Also, the Bee pollen combined with the probiotics has helped my skinny rescue boy with severe MBD start eating like a horse, even his greens, which when I first brought him home, I swear he was such a sweetheart, lived to cuddle, ate his Phoenix Worms out of my hand because he couldn't hold himself up and lean over a bowl, just a little sweetie, then the very first time he was waiting for his breakfast and I put a bowl of greens in, I swear he limped on over to see what was in his bowl as I was setting it down in his enclosure, and as I let go of the bowl that little jerk bit me!!! Lol, hasn't done it since, but I haven't left my hand in his tank after putting greens in long enough to let him...The little faker...

StellaBella

Original Poster
Awww, thank you for the encouragement EllenD!!! I love your story, too...refreshing to hear others with huge hearts for these precious companions❤️❤️❤️. The probiotic is called benebac and it came with a small scoop...really small, it was said to be for bearded dragons... I will upload a pic of the two in a bit...maybe that will help

court

Any updates on her broke my heart reading what she's been through. to me they aren't lizards they aren't dragons they are little pretty scaley people and extremely intelligent and I feel just as you do about being impatient with the progress. one of my rescues exhibits alot of the symptoms she had/has it kills me to see them suffering

StellaBella

Original Poster
That's what I've been feeding her, thank you!!! It is good stuff, it's just hard for me to get much in her so I have to get her tube fed, too :)

StellaBella

Original Poster
We finally have answers!!!! Stella is loaded with 3 types of parasites!!! The vet was so glad I brought in another fecal...I just didn't know what was making her belly look so bloated despite having not eaten in so long!!! She said 2 are normal but Coccidia is not....I can pick up her 3 meds after 2 today and get started on a 2 week treatment plan!!! I'm so thankful to finally know WHAT we are fighting!!! I've had her almost 2 years, she wouldn't eat when I got her and was super scrawny, she was my rescue back then...I wish I would've tested her way back then...I had no idea and just worked to fatten her up and get her healthy and eating...we can win this fight...at least we now know all of her organs are working great and she's otherwise healthy and what a little fighter...I love her so much and am so glad her spirit and will is so strong!!! I can't help but wonder if the antibiotics the first doc gave wiped out all of her good bacteria that were keeping the little buggers in check and as soon as I can get her to eat something it will all be dusted in probiotics daily....woooohooooo!!!!!! Thank you all for the support, I was at my wits end and so needed you guys to lean on and I hope this whole thread will help lots of others looking for answers❤️❤️❤️

StellaBella

Original Poster
Agree completely @court!!! I didn't see your post before...and I hope your companion recovers quickly!!! From everything we've been through I wish I'd been more persistent with the parasite testing before...I had one and it came back negative so I thought it couldn't be but her swollen abdomen just kept bugging me until I asked her to check it again....it was super high levels...crazy!!! Best of luck to you!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, you lost her that suddenly? Oh gosh, I am so sorry you lost her. :cry:
That was so very fast. I thought that they had diagnosed her & that she was going to be
alright after treatment....wow, how devastating!
My condolences to you & your family.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Oh no ....

Are you going to get the vet to do a necropsy on her ? .... seems to me there was more going on than just a Coccidia infestation , and it was secondary issue that she was unable to cope with because she had a compromised immune system or something more major going on with her health that wasn't picked up on by anyone.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bduckworth78":2twdfs36 said:
I don't know if anybody has said it already but Repti-Boost seems to help sick beardies. I keep it on hand at all times.
93154-5795463282.jpg

I don't know if the Fluker's stuff is effective , I have used VetaFarm HerpaBoost (comes as a slurry) and it's very good.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm soooo sorry to hear that she died ! :( What a rollercoaster ride of emotions, thinking that you'd finally be able to get her healthy and then this. You tried so hard to help her and did everything you could have. I know your heart is broken and my heart goes out to you. :(

susanmurl

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry for your loss!! You are so strong for pushing through this and not giving up!! My heart breaks!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom