Experienced Roach Feeders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
I've never fed roaches before so can anyone tell me their opinion on these two types:
Blaptica Dubia (Orange Spotted South American) and Madagascan Hissing Roaches

Thanks!

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
We breed hissers but we NEVER feed them the big ones. They get the soft young juicy ones. :D Let me tell you they LOVE them!!

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Why would you want a feeder that makes noise?? That's part of the reason i stopped with the crickets (that and the smell, okay so it was mostly the smell) I use Dubias, dragons love them. Never heard of anyone feeding hissers to their dragons.

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
Our hissers really don't make that much noise unless breeding or provoked. They are gut loaded with all kinds of fruits and veggies. They also have little to no smell at all. Plus the kids and husband love to play with the adults.

Ever get freaked out reactions when you take your beardie places? Imagine taking a 4 inch roach my husband things it's great. LOL

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
one of the reasons I like the idea of Dubia vs. hissers is that with an adult dragon you can feed off the adult Dubia. You won't run into a time when you have a surplus of breeders, but nothing to do with them (I.E. a waste) you can always use the adult males (even females if you just have a boat load of them or if a few have passed their breeding prime) for food. The hissers are neat though and if you went by what the petstore wants for them, you'd be rich! lol

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
Hissers can climb glass, Dubias can't. That's one of the main reason why I stick with Dubias. Besides all the other virtues of Dubias, I've had roaches since this past October and have never had a single escapee. My professor at college bred Hissers, and he had escapees all over the floor! I could never handle that in my home!

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
Can't say we have ever had an escaped roach *knocks on a LOT of wood*, I'm looking into Dubias and some other types of worms that produce really well for my beardies as well. :D

Ruby2uesday

Juvie Member
OgleRpets":78df7 said:
Can't say we have ever had an escaped roach *knocks on a LOT of wood*, I'm looking into Dubias and some other types of worms that produce really well for my beardies as well. :D

I can't say i HAVEN'T had an escapee, but that's usually my fault. lol But that and the no sound no smell factor is why i went Dubia! i can handle the babies ok it's the adults that creep me out. that's why i usually have an escapee.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I have both, they are housed in the same bin, no lid, and no escapees ;)
My dragons love em, but there isn't any adults yet, just large juvies.
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom