Emmett, EMILIO, Emma..RIP sweet Emily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
OK, as I stated in my last post, I am babysitting Zues, a friends beardie. This poor little thing came to my house in a 20 gallon tank which is fine for 4 days as he has a 3 story home at his house. He also HAD a compact UVB over tiny holed screen and on nasty walnut shell. Well, now Zeus is happy, I got him a 18 inch reptisun 10.0, a probe thermometer as all he had was a tape strip thermometer. He is off the walnut shell and on repti carpet and has 3 tiles to put his food bowl on. I gave him a healthy dose of liquid calcium and a good healthy dose of liquid vitamins and fed him well. He may be showing signs of MBD in his tail as its kinked in places but 4 days of good care may stop it, I don't know. At least he has what he needs here and I will tell my friend that this little guy needs proper care, lighting and supplements. Emmett is 6 months and bigger than this 2 yr old. I know you cannot compare one to another but Zues is tiny. Oh he also had his first bath here and hated it but calmed down enough to drink a ton of water and just sit still in it. I don't think he has EVER had a bath in his life from the way he was acting. To be quite frank, I don't care if his owner gets upset I threw out the nasty walnut shell and took his water bowl from him. I refuse to use a compact UVB on him so got him proper lighting that will go home with him on Monday. He is in a clean healthy tank now albeit small.
Here is Zues and his tail. I am not sure if you can see the kinks or not. His owners did get him at a GARAGE SELL!

The kinks in the tail of Zues poor baby

Emily playing on her bed

Emmett with his little black beard, isn't he just ferocious lol

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Poor Zeus. I'm glad that you decided to change out the walnut shells and put him on repti carpet, and gave him a ReptiSun instead of the awful compact coil UVB. Thank you for caring.
It does look like his tail has a lot of kinds in it. Hope the good dose of liquid calcium will start the reversal process, and that your friend will continue the regimen.

Oh Emmett! Are you now going to have a black beard every day, now that you know how to make one? :lol:

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you Goonie, I knew you all would understand my reasoning even though this beardie is not mine. I cannot care nor babysit this little guy knowing he was not happy and his lighting was wrong. He just ate a ton of superworms now that he has proper lighting where the last two days he nit picked although that could be due to some relocation stress even though he does not look stressed and is very active.

Emmett continuously black beards at anything and head bobs. He doesn't keep his beard black but in off and on spurts as it suits him lol.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad Zeus is with you and that you switched him over to good lighting and substrate. And yes, I hope your friend listens to you and gives him what he needs. I'm not sure if it's MBD in his tail, some beardies are just born with kinks in their tale, so hard to know, but he looks well nourished, even though he's small. Hopefully your friend listens to you.

That is so cute that Emmett has figured out how to black beard, a big milestone & now he will do this constantly. When Rubio figured it out, he'd cross his eyes to watch it change, to the point that he fell off his log one day. I got a picture of him climbing back on & if a dragon could look embarrassed he did :lol: He kept looking around to see if I'd seen it, it was just too funny.

The pictures turned out really well, Emily is such a grown up girl...so glad her colours have never faded. And Emmett is so cute with his black beard. Zeus is a handsome dragon, too.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Just curious...is Emily overweight (don't mean to offend Emily or her mom :wink: ), or is there another reason she has such large arms and large under-chin? Rin is about 10-11 months old, and he has the sides of his under-chin that stick out, but not the larger underside of his chin pulling downward.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Emily has always had a large beard like that. She sees the vet every 6 months with Emmett and as did geico. Emily is huge but the vet is not concerned about her weight, as she is just over 600 grams and if she had all her tail would be probably about 21 1/2 inches long. No she is not overweight for her length and is healthy as a horse. She is fine but I do want her under 600 grams and we are working on it. I am not offended. She is just huge with no health problems.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Tonja":39ifomie said:
Emily has always had a large beard like that. She sees the vet every 6 months with Emmett and as did geico. Emily is huge but the vet is not concerned about her weight, as she is just over 600 grams and if she had all her tail would be probably about 21 1/2 inches long. No she is not overweight for her length and is healthy as a horse. She is fine but I do want her under 600 grams and we are working on it. I am not offended. She is just huge with no health problems.

So then she is just big boned. lol I know the feeling.

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Hey! Sorry I have't been around for awhile. I got a job and been busy with other things.. I'm sure you've read them on my thread. Emily and Emmett are getting so big and both are so beautiful! Zues is so lucky to have him caring for him, even if it is only for 4 days.. hopefully his mom/dad will take your advise and fix what needs fixing for him. I hope the rain stops soon and you don't get flooded out again. It's been raining here alot too.. alot of thunderstorms as well.. I've been lucky to get Jango outside twice so far since the weather warmed up enough for him. When I took Jango to the vet, she told me he was one pound.. I looked it up and says it's equal to 453.592 grams.. so I'm guessing that is underweight? he's between 20 and 21 inches long. I'm trying to get him to eat.. all he wants is superworms. I want to get him different worms since his vet said to get him to eat a variety and not just one kind.. but I want him to eat his salads mostly and he just refuses.. he'll eat one or two bites when I hand feed him... I want to get him some pumpkin and see if that helps. The bump on his head is looking like it's getting ready to shed already..so i'm hoping that's a good thing. He's not as active as he was but he still runs around some when I leave him out.. Mike says he's just getting older.. hope that's all it is.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Zues's daddy came and got him yesterday, a day late due to storms. I was so disheartened before he left when the first words out of Jims mouth were, do you want to buy him? He got the lizard on a whim thinking it would replace a dog he lost. I had no clue that he was on craigs list. I wish I could take him on but no room for him. I feel so bad and now wonder about the care he will get. You don't get an animal on a whim, an animal is a life long commitment and that just tore at my guts to hear him talk about Zues. Said his kids loved to hold him and he is a cool little guy but does not replace or fill the void of his lost dog. I know he wont mistreat Zeus but I have to wonder if he will get the care he so very much deserves. Also said his son lost his job and may have to move in with his kids and wife so there is no room for Zeus if that happens. I just don't understand people that think pets are throw away. I would take Zeus but not for the price he asking and his 3 story homemade cage would come with him. I just don't have the room .

On another note, Emily and Emmett are doing fine. I still cannot get them outside, The storms here have been horrible. Had 3 rounds of storms day before yesterday with half dollar sized hail in some areas, our hail was dime sized. Yesterdays storms were not to bad but we have had these storms it seems since our last snow on Mother's Day. The days it doesn't rain or storm its either to cold or way to windy. Emmett has stopped black bearding since Zeus left so I wonder if he sensed another male in the house even though Zeus was in the dining room and Emmett and Emily have their own room. Khai still mothers Emily and Emily is still housekeeping. Emmett rearranges things to his liking also but I think he does it so he can lay with his front half on one thing letting his belly hang and his back half on something else, silly boy. Got their checkup appts made with their vet for next month. I know they will have a clean bill of health. Gotta feed them breakfast here in a few so best get to preparing their meals and fresh salads.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, Tonja, doesn't sound like Zeus is well taken care of (as we saw by what you had to change. If he could be in a 40 gallon and they would give him to you, would you be able to take him in? He needs a good mom like you, but only if you have the room. It's awful that the dad only wanted him to replace his dog, you can't replace an animal that's lost, he should have gotten another dog in that case, not a reptile. Honestly, gotta wonder how people think.

Sorry to hear you're still getting so many storms, hail and rain. I'm so praying that you don't get any flooding & that the storms go somewhere else.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I would gladly take Zeus if I had the space but I don't. My heart breaks for that poor beardie. I hated to see him go back home after hearing that he wants to get rid of him. I told him that he could keep him in a tank and put the tank on a dresser or something but no..he built the huge 3 story house for him so that's where he will live. I don't understand how people think animals are throw away beings. I look at my two and could never throw them away, sell them, or just give them up. I took on the commitment and I am happy taking care of them. It just irks me to no end to think that he wanted me to babysit Zeus for the sole reason of wanting me to buy him, I know in my heart that is the reason. Even though I had no emotional attachment to him it bothers me endlessly that he may not get the care he needs. I did send the reptisun home with Zeus and I pray the owner uses it. Also sent a little stuffed bear Zeus played with and some blankies I cut from some fleece I had. I just hope he allowed Zeus to have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom