Egg bound.??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes they all push it to one side, that's what they do as they dig. Mine have never had less than about 6-8 inches of substrate and it should be a little bit damp. Also a lid on the top for privacy. My girl lurking in the back, lol.

1713728013169.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This behavior sounds pretty normal, they can take awhile to dig their perfect burrow! Be patient, it
seems like she will be laying really soon.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

This behavior sounds pretty normal, they can take awhile to dig their perfect burrow! Be patient, it
seems like she will be laying really soon.

Tracie
Well, she still hasn't laid eggs. She's still digging and stuff, no symptoms of egg bound yet. We talked about bringing her to the vet but we aren't sure. She's usually laid her eggs by now and we just can't determine how much more time to give her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Does she seem to have a black beard at all as if she were stressed? How long has this process been
going on for now, a few weeks?
Usually it is a 4-5 week process give or take. If you are starting to feel uncomfortable or worried about
her or she seems to be having trouble, you could take her in for an x-ray to see where the egg placement
is. Have you given her some extra calcium to boost her system in case she might be a little low in calcium
stores.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

Does she seem to have a black beard at all as if she were stressed? How long has this process been
going on for now, a few weeks?
Usually it is a 4-5 week process give or take. If you are starting to feel uncomfortable or worried about
her or she seems to be having trouble, you could take her in for an x-ray to see where the egg placement
is. Have you given her some extra calcium to boost her system in case she might be a little low in calcium
stores.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie
Okay, so from start to finish, her egg laying process is about 5ish weeks. Her last two egg lays have been just over a month of each other. So, she really should be laying any day now and if she hasn't passed that one random egg, I wouldn't be worried but because of that one random egg she laid five days ago. She's never done that before.

She has no signs of egg binding, no black beard, no lethargic, nothing. Just turning away food, (save for a few bites of salad) but she does that every time she lays. She is still scratching/digging all day long, even when she gets to the bottom of her box, she still just digs. I do offer her food, but no go and I do put calcium on her salad and she'll eat a few bites of it so that's really her only source of calcium, unless I mix up some calcium with some critical care and make her take that. But I haven't done that yet and haven't even given her critical care in a long time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a hard call. I wouldn't wait too much longer, if her behavior is out of character. Since she did
lay one random egg, she either has another clutch or it was left over from the previous clutch, I am not
sure.
There is a possibility that there isn't another clutch, but the only way to confirm that would be to get an
x-ray to make sure nothing else is going on.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

That is a hard call. I wouldn't wait too much longer, if her behavior is out of character. Since she did
lay one random egg, she either has another clutch or it was left over from the previous clutch, I am not
sure.
There is a possibility that there isn't another clutch, but the only way to confirm that would be to get an
x-ray to make sure nothing else is going on.

Tracie
So I suppose we will give her one more day, granted she doesn't start showing egg bound symptoms. She just woke up about an hour ago so shes still sitting in her basking spot but no black beard or lethargy or anything like that. She does have an annual check up Wednesday but I don't know if we should wait that long.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she's not eating and losing weight or if this deviates from her regular routine of previous laying behavior it might be good to get her in by tomorrow for a shot of Oxytocin.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
If she's not eating and losing weight or if this deviates from her regular routine of previous laying behavior it might be good to get her in by tomorrow for a shot of Oxytocin.
She always turns away food when she's in this process and isn't loosing weight, really. She's not... exactly pooping, but there will be a teeny tiny bit of it and some urate. It's been like.. 6 weeks exactly since she laid last so it really should be any day now but Jesus it's so hard. She has an appointment Wednesday. Do you think we should wait until then or take her tomorrow, if she hasn't laid.?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't say for sure, it's up to you. It's kind of tough to decide because she could lay tomorrow or the next day without the shot all on her own but you just don't know if it will happen that way. Or she could get the shot and most likely lay within a few hours.

jabda

Hatchling Member
One of my girls have a similar event like your. Healthy and full of energy, laid (1) egg and (2) days later laid 23 eggs.

Attachments

• one egg.JPG
    one egg.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 23 eggs.JPG
    23 eggs.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 22

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
One of my girls have a similar event like your. Healthy and full of energy, laid (1) egg and (2) days later laid 23 eggs.
Yeah it's definitely weird. She's never laid just one egg. Shes laid a clutch then the next day, one or two left behind ones come out but not one egg then nothing. She still digs and scratches all day but is about 6 days past her normal lay time so I guess we'll take her tomorrow for an X-ray and possible shot. I hate it, she's so neurotic, being outside terrifies her to death.😩😩

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it is a hard call for sure since this has never
happened to her in this manner before. It is good she
doesn't have a black beard.
The oxytocin is usually very effective when they are
in the post ovulatory stasis where she is ready to lay
& the eggs have dropped. It helps with muscular
contraction.
Let us know what you decide & how she is doing.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks really good there. I bet she is tired from all of the digging & pacing. There doesn't seem to be any symptoms of egg bonding right now.
When they stop digging & become lethargic if they are egg bound.
I hope she lays soon.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

She looks really good there. I bet she is tired from all of the digging & pacing. There doesn't seem to be any symptoms of egg bonding right now.
When they stop digging & become lethargic if they are egg bound.
I hope she lays soon.

Tracie
Still no laying yet, but she is still digging. We haven't had a chance to do much of anything, my boyfriend and I live with his parents to take care of them, they both have dementia and his dad has been in the hospital the last few days. I think if she hasn't laid by tonight, I'm gonna take her in first thing in the morning. It's been long enough, I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom