Dying Lizard :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
I would drop the saline on his eye/lids 3xday, and then let him rest.

Have you had him since he was a hatchling? He is very small for 2 yrs old, I know you have cared for him under the direction of Pet-co, but we can help you here in hopes that it's not too late, he's appears very sick and fragile.

With him having alot of diarrhea and poor fluid intake, (this is my nursing coming out :wink: ) it's for sure he's dehydrated, he'll need frequent but small amounts of the pedialyte and squash. Have you ever hand fed him before? You have to be very careful when syringing so he doesn't aspirate. It will be time comsuming and slow, so don't get discouraged. Please don't give him live food right now, and lets work on hydrating and small am'ts of squash. What do you think of that?

daggerz

Original Poster
beardie osk":e12ec said:
I would drop the saline on his eye/lids 3xday, and then let him rest.

Have you had him since he was a hatchling? He is very small for 2 yrs old, I know you have cared for him under the direction of Pet-co, but we can help you here in hopes that it's not too late, he's appears very sick and fragile.

With him having alot of diarrhea and poor fluid intake, (this is my nursing coming out :wink: ) it's for sure he's dehydrated, he'll need frequent but small amounts of the pedialyte and squash. Have you ever hand fed him before? You have to be very careful when syringing so he doesn't aspirate. It will be time comsuming and slow, so don't get discouraged. Please don't give him live food right now, and lets work on hydrating and small am'ts of squash. What do you think of that?

No, we bought him when he was about 2 months old.
We're still not sure if he has diarhea, he hasn't gone yet still.
I got a little pedialyte in him & he drank a lot of water yesterday.
We gave him a bath while I changed out tank.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
daggerz":bf77d said:

I'm glad he isn't having diarrhea now, but he was before so your doing a great job in giving him fluids and the bath is always a plus. Support his head while in the bath and don't leave him alone, your can dribble the bath water over his eyes as well, that will help, and he may drink the bath water, which will be a plus as well. Daily baths, at least, would be great if you can do it.

How are you getting the fluid/pedialyte into him, by syringe or dropper?

daggerz

Original Poster
beardie osk":3a1cb said:
daggerz":3a1cb said:

I'm glad he isn't having diarrhea now, but he was before so your doing a great job in giving him fluids and the bath is always a plus. Support his head while in the bath and don't leave him alone, your can dribble the bath water over his eyes as well, that will help, and he may drink the bath water, which will be a plus as well. Daily baths, at least, would be great if you can do it.

How are you getting the fluid/pedialyte into him, by syringe or dropper?

A syringe. Is a dropper better?

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Either syringe or dropper is fine, just be careful not to put the syringe in his mouth and push in the fluid, just drop the liquid onto his lip or end of his nose til he starts licking , I use a syringe but alot of people have more control with a dropper, which ever suits you is fine. Beardies can easily aspirate with too much liquid/babyfood, and it causes pneumonia, so dropping the liquid that way allows your beardie to lick and control the amount, is that what you do?

daggerz

Original Poster
beardie osk":016ac said:
Either syringe or dropper is fine, just be careful not to put the syringe in his mouth and push in the fluid, just drop the liquid onto his lip or end of his nose til he starts licking , I use a syringe but alot of people have more control with a dropper, which ever suits you is fine. Beardies can easily aspirate with too much liquid/babyfood, and it causes pneumonia, so dropping the liquid that way allows your beardie to lick and control the amount, is that what you do?

Yeah, though he's not liking it too much this morning. :roll:
We're feeding him those soft worms, not sure what they're called. But they're fat & squishy & really hard to work with... :|

daggerz

Original Poster
Hm, OK, so...
He just had a bad case of diarhea & now won't move his legs because he's so tired.
We're calling around to find a vet.
I'm not really sure what to do with him until we get a vet...
I'll give him more water to keep him hydrated... :(
He's still squirming like he's pushing something out, but nothing.
But there's one good thing to this... He opened both of his eyes... :/

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Until you can get him to a vet, keep him warm and continue giving warm baths 2-3 times a day with pedialyte. Make sure when you are on the phone with the vet, you emphasize that it is an emergency. Have you checked http://www.herpvetconnection.com to see if there's a reptile vet listed in your area?
Sara

daggerz

Original Poster
We took him to the vets & they're keeping him in an incubator (sp?) until the doctor can take a look at him.
I'll post what what the doctor says when we hear from them.
Thank you all for your help! :) You all helped a lot! I really like this site. :]

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We're ALL hoping for the best. Please update us as soon as you can.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
I just got home from work........you have done such a great job, but I'm glad he's at the vet since his last bout of diarrhea........We are all here for you and I'll be praying for you and family and of course, your little one............we'll be waiting for you updates.

((((HUGS))))

daggerz

Original Poster
We talked to the doctor; he said Spike (the dragon) was extremely dehydrated. He kept him over night & tube fed him/ gave him antibiotics. He said that he didn't find any parasites, so that's good. We're bringing him home today. From what I heard, I have to tube feed him every 45 minutes. :| But he's doing better, his eyes are open, he's moving around.
Thank you all, again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom