Dwarf Retic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
Think Retic, just "dwarf". By dwarf I mean most of them only get to around 15 feet. Super dwarf tics max around 10. Still big, just not BIG BIG BIG...lol.
Care is the same as other tics, just their temperament is usually a little different. Jampeas tend to be more docile, most Selayers I've seen are heck on wheels...just my experience though. Most supers are pretty cool.
I'd say just go for it, or if the agro reputation thing scares you get a burm. They're big, but have SUCH good personalities.
God Bless,
Aaron

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Yeah the rep scares me a little...
If it means getting tagged by a baby repeatedly- okay I can do that.
If it means the snake is never going to be easily handled.. well no. I have absolutely no interest in being bitten by a 10 ft strong as heck snake.
And that's probably all individual snake/ temperment based.

Can't do a Burm. No way I've got the space.

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
I've had a big retic before. Retics are rather skinny compared to most other pythons, so a 10 ft dwarf retic is a lot lighter than a 10 foot blood. A 15 ft dwarf retic is a lot lighter than a 15 foot Burmese.

100% dwarfs (regular non morph) only get like 10 ft for females and maybe 6-7 for a male.

DwarfxBig (dwarf tiger, dwarf albino, dwarf albino tiger) get like 15 ft for females, maybe 8-9 for males.

Big retics are like 30 ft + for females and 15 ft + for males.

The ideal size feeder for a snake is about as big around as the fattest part of the snake, that is probably a medium rat or a hamster for a 100% dwarf, or a jumbo rat or a bunny for a half dwarf.

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
Trogdor80":49790 said:
I've had a big retic before. Retics are rather skinny compared to most other pythons, so a 10 ft dwarf retic is a lot lighter than a 10 foot blood. A 15 ft dwarf retic is a lot lighter than a 15 foot Burmese.

100% dwarfs (regular non morph) only get like 10 ft for females and maybe 6-7 for a male.

DwarfxBig (dwarf tiger, dwarf albino, dwarf albino tiger) get like 15 ft for females, maybe 8-9 for males.

Big retics are like 30 ft + for females and 15 ft + for males.

The ideal size feeder for a snake is about as big around as the fattest part of the snake, that is probably a medium rat or a hamster for a 100% dwarf, or a jumbo rat or a bunny for a half dwarf.
Wow..retics get 30ft +?
Dwarfs are half Island variants, supers are pure...but 10 feet is still not uncommon.
A 30 ft retic simply does not exist...and males very commonly get larger than 15 ft. A ten foot blood python is also VERY unlikely...but I think the idea you're going for is solid. Tics tend to stay thin, they are the longest species of snake in the world, with the Green Anaconda being the heaviest. Any snake over 8 ft can deliver quite the bite, and any constrictor over 8 ft has the strength to kill a human being.
Sorry to pick your post apart, but the info has to stay spot on for me to feel good about the forum.

When it comes to tics, burms, condas, heck any snake it's all about handling and individual temperament. I remember having some interaction with a super tiger retic that could be handled hours after feeding with no risk of a bite. I saw a friend grab his tongue after a feed and the animal waited patiently for a few seconds until it was released. It's all about the individual.
If you want to get into tics, just go for it. The price on dwarfs has come down significantly and you can't beat their color and intelligence! Just do it.
God Bless,
Aaron

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
That's the size of fluffy, Bob Clark's former burm... You can probably sense my hesitation to believe.
Again, not trying to be a jerk but that kind of snake would put you in the ranks of only a handful of keepers in the world. Got any pics? What kind of enclosure did you use? Feedings?
God Bless,
Aaron

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Although I dont know a ton about retics. More into my boas, bloods and balls.. I have had a super dwarf lavender albino in the dash of my jeep.. That is one long story. But she was about 5 feet and a couple years old.
I know the longest reported is about 32 foot for a regular and if i remember right from the friend who had the super dwarf its about half that. from what I have read the different morphs can also lead to different sizes. Like the super dwarf tiger is about the smallest? I dont know how factual that is.
I did find this however. thought it may be of interest. it shows a growth chart.
http://mahn001.tripod.com/id28.html

I also want to see this 10 food blood.. Man mine are still young but oh so small then :shock:

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
shadi11":66344 said:
Although I dont know a ton about retics. More into my boas, bloods and balls.. I have had a super dwarf lavender albino in the dash of my jeep.. That is one long story. But she was about 5 feet and a couple years old.
I know the longest reported is about 32 foot for a regular and if i remember right from the friend who had the super dwarf its about half that. from what I have read the different morphs can also lead to different sizes. Like the super dwarf tiger is about the smallest? I dont know how factual that is.
I did find this however. thought it may be of interest. it shows a growth chart.

I also want to see this 10 food blood.. Man mine are still young but oh so small then :shock:

Anything over 30 feet has never been confirmed. A few places have open cash prized for any snake over 30 feet...If I remember right National Geographic was offering 1 million for a live 30 footer.
God Bless,
Aaron

shadi11

BD.org Addict
PastorAaron":84f29 said:
shadi11":84f29 said:

Anything over 30 feet has never been confirmed. A few places have open cash prized for any snake over 30 feet...If I remember right National Geographic was offering 1 million for a live 30 footer.
God Bless,
Aaron
I cant find the link I had last night. it was from a good source the snake wasnt in the us and probably was in the wild :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom