Gout related questions

willowbillow

Beardie name(s)
willow
Hello! My beardie willow has gout and I have a few questions. First of all, I saw somebody say alfalfa helps but could somebody give me more details on that? Currently her substrate is paper towels that I change whenever she poops which is very often, but is there any other substrate that would be better?
her tank right now is about 120 gallons, is that good for a beardie her age? Lastly, does anybody have an suggestions on diet and liquids? Like, what fruits, veggies, and greens would be the most benefiting for her because i’ve done some research but I am scared to give her something that will worsen the gout. As for liquids, before she was on the gout medication when she was bathed, she would drink tons of water but now she wont; is there any way to keep her hydrated without her drinking? Is soaking her doing any good? I attached some pictures but I feel like she seems so dehydrated and im not sure about what I should do. That is all, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8996.jpeg
    IMG_8996.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 25

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Tart cherry extract helps.
Use an eyedropper to hydrate her. Drip it on her nose until she laps it up. If she doesn't add the tart cherry or some mone citrus fruit juice to give it flavor.
Gout is caused by high uric levels if your feeding dubias absolutely don't feed them any kind of food with protein. They convert it to uric acid and store it the way we do fat. You have to starve them to the point of famine to reduce the levels. It's best to only feed the feeder sized dubias veggies.
Hornworms are good for helping with hydration also btw 🙂

willowbillow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
willow
okay thank you :) do you have any brands for the tart cherry extract that are good or can I just get any brand of it? And by “starve them to the point of famine” Should I feed her less or just like keep feeding her only veggies? She hasn’t gotten dubias in very long since I live in florida but she gets mealworms sometimes so I will stop that. Thank you again for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
okay thank you :) do you have any brands for the tart cherry extract that are good or can I just get any brand of it? And by “starve them to the point of famine” Should I feed her less or just like keep feeding her only veggies? She hasn’t gotten dubias in very long since I live in florida but she gets mealworms sometimes so I will stop that. Thank you again for your help!
She needs protein please get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large or some silk worms- www.reptilianarts.com -- or both -- feed both salads and protein - the bugs 2-3 times per week

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Shouldn’t I limit the protein? Since she’s almost three and she has gout? I’m a little confused but I appreciate your help thank you!
Dubias can be high in uric acid that is what causes gout- we always recommend BSFL or silk worms as a better option for protein for dragons w/ gout

willowbillow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
willow
does it say I feed her dubias on my account? Because I do not but I am going to look into BSFL and silk worms for her. Thank you 😊

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
does it say I feed her dubias on my account? Because I do not but I am going to look into BSFL and silk worms for her. Thank you 😊
She can be given Allopurinol for her gout- I am diabetic and take that medication for gout -- do you have the blood test from your vet? If so please post it and Tracie can take a look at it and also advise further as far as treatment
@Drache613

willowbillow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
willow
She can be given Allopurinol for her gout- I am diabetic and take that medication for gout -- do you have the blood test from your vet? If so please post it and Tracie can take a look at it and also advise further as far as treatment
@Drache613
she takes allopurinol, gabapentin, and meloxican for her gout as prescribed by her vet. I don’t have the blood test but I could post a picture of the medication she takes if you’d like

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
she takes allopurinol, gabapentin, and meloxican for her gout as prescribed by her vet. I don’t have the blood test but I could post a picture of the medication she takes if you’d like
Please get a copy of the blood work from the vet --- have them email it to you and post it on the board here so Tracie can take a look -- what are the doses of the meds being given --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry I didn't get here sooner. Definitely if possible & it isn't too much trouble, a copy of the bloodtest
would be great.
The Allopurinol is great & can be safely given long term if needed. I definitely wouldn't keep her on the
meloxicam long term, only as needed. It can be hard on the system.
There is a good brand of Tart cherry juice by RKnudsen I believe, that you can use, but there are others
but make sure it is "Organic" & has no added sugar. It will help along with the allopurinol.
As far as the Alfalfa leaf powder, it is a non purine protein source that you can add for her for supplemental support.
Try greens such as dandelion greens if you can find them, arugula, mustard & collards are good. You
could also try some bok choi too. Since she is an adult, go for lower numbers of insects. I would aim for
30 or so weekly. As suggested, the calcium or phoenix worms are good, silkworms, or hornworms are
low in uric acid, crickets or superworms, too. Just choose a couple & you can rotate as you would like,
according to her preferences.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Shouldn’t I limit the protein? Since she’s almost three and she has gout? I’m a little confused but I appreciate your help thank you!
I was saying starve the dubias not your beardie. When dubias don't have enough to eat they convert the uric acid they have stored beck into protein and use it for energy. That uric acid is what contributes to gout in beardies. By all mean feed yout baby 🙂
Ttacie (Drache613)sells the tart cherry on her web sight, but i don't remember the address off hand. Any will work though, i have been seeing it lately in grocery store in the juice section. (Kroger line of stores)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom