Dragon flipping onto back constantly, lethargic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I can speak for everyone on this forum when I say this:

We are all very proud you. To be in high school and to display such responsibility and maturity to take care of an animal who 'wasn't your responsibility' (regardless of if it was an animal in need or not) is an amazing trait. Good for you.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
I echo Tracy's thoughts. He should never be allowed to return to that awful place again, nor should they ever replace him with another beardie to neglect. Please do not give him back to those people, even if you have to buy him from them.

sammchiggins

You're a really good person, registered just to post this because going through the entire thread made me sad and then actually cheered me up. Echoing the above two posters as well, when it comes to handing the dragon back, point out to them how much he has improved since you've had him with the correct setup, donate the proper stuff to them if you're feeling kind, and let them (or have your parents let them) know that if their care slips and he ends up in a state again that you'll contact the RSPCA or equivalent. There's no excuse for a school, especially one with an agricultural program, to treat animals like this.

Good luck with getting wee Steve sorted out, you can make a difference. I adopted a dragon with MDB when I was first looking for a beardie to take home. Wanted a baby but I couldn't not help the little guy out. He was eight years old, had been severely neglected, and still had a good half a year or so here before he finally left us, so at the age of three I really hope you can turn things around for him. Keep being awesome!

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm definitely going to try and keep him, that's for sure. And thank you all for your kind responses! :) Luckily today his beard wasn't black either, so just like walking it isn't just a one day thing I don't think. Unfortunately it's black the rest of the day; I don't think he's a big fan of people right now and he has to see me quite a bit every day for feeding. He absolutely hates getting his reptaboost now, the beard goes even darker. He still needs it obviously though, so he'll have to deal despite not liking when he gets it. At least he must not be in so much pain since his beard normal in the beginning of the day.

Hi Silver! I spent all evening pouring over this particular thread, and I wanted to tell you that I admire you SO much for stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility for little Steve. I aspire to be a good lizard parent like you :D

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I didn't read this whole thread, its a long one!! But a lot of reading gives me migraines.
First I wanted to tell you your doing the right and correct thing by trying to help the dragon. So good job!
If the school gives you a hard time about trying to keep the dragon I would print off this entire thread. Maybe if they won't listen to you they will listen to everyone on this list. If that doesn't work tell them Steve died. Seems like telling a lie in this case wouldn't be a bad idea. Yeah, its dishonest....but if it saves the dragon, who cares? If you do give them a print out the thread for them block out my suggestion to lie to them ;)

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you guys! :) Unfortunately I think they take the animal back even if it dies, not sure why. Maybe for that exact reason or for autopsy or something, who knows?

A quick update on Steve- he seems to be getting used to how I act around him so he's black bearded a lot less. In fact, he didn't at all today. He usually gets mad and black beards as soon he decides he's eaten enough reptaboost and wants back into the the tank, but he seems to be understanding I'll stop as soon as he moves away from the syringe. He let me clean him up and put him back without it going dark at all. I'm happy for the little guy, he's slowly getting happier.

This is amazing. This dragon had slim to none chance of living, and you were an amazing person and took him in. You decided that you would put great effort into saving this poor defenseless animal's life, AND took him home with you to ensure proper care upon him. You have saved this bearded dragon from dying a slow, painful death with no love or care around him. And from everyone in the beardie community, we thank you for your kindness and caring for such a delicate animal. You truly are an amazing person, and we need to have more people like you on this planet. Thank you so much. For real. This warms my heart. Have a good day, and keep us updated!

Love,
Lynsey and Dexter the baby dragon :lol: :D

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! :)

Here's a couple pictures just to keep you guys updated on how he's doing:
image33.jpg

image34.jpg

His nose and some spikes on his beard are turning pale, I'm pretty sure they're starting to shed. He seems to have good and bad days, some days his beard is fully black all day and some days it's not black at all.

And then a question; about when should he stop getting reptaboost?

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Steve just freaked me out, that's for sure. I had him outside and looked away and when I looked back his eyes were puffed out and bulging and of course I freaked and brought him back inside, but after looking it up its normal so that's good. I've never had my own dragon do that in all the years I've had her, and seeing a sick dragon do it freaked me out even more. This lizard is trying to scare me to death.

On the bright side he's eating more greens on his own as I type this.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, the air gulping and eye bulging always looks odd. The weird body movements during a shed is another weird thing to see.
Glad he's doing better, the tail still looks on the thin side. But with all the good care your giving him the tail weight should improve.

SteelFox

Keep up the great work! His skin is looking much better and he looks more lively in the pictures! We're all rooting for Steve. My little Jewel sends her best also.
87281-5795237478.jpg

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, and Jewel looks adorable :)

Wanted to put up the link to a gofundme page I made; between new lighting, vet bills, and food, he is proving rather expensive and my mom wanted me to create one. She definitely wasn't planning on spending so much this summer. Just thought I would share it here too, even if no one could donate, it will have updates that I may not post here and you can stay updated if you would like. Hope you guys and your beardies are doing well!

This is the page link

Shenlong

We need a donation page on this site to set up the IBHS International Beardie Health Service :mrgreen: an emergency fund we can all donate to and use to help those little dragons like Steve that nobody else can :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so glad to see you're doing so much to help him. Keep up the great work. Best wishes to you both and I hope he starts feeling better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom