Does your beardie poop in his/her sleep? (blood results p.9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Pudgy did this once over a year ago. She has her own bed with a fleece blanket and a little warmer (it is not a heating pad or plugged in...it is heated in the microwave for a few minutes and it stays warm all night). So one night she's in her little bed next to me in my bed and I hear a big ol' beardie fart. Nope not a fart. It was a HUGE POOP! She was totally asleep and even when I took her to the sink to wash her off she barely woke up. :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

So this morning I get up and I smell something a little funny. Her bed is on the floor next to my bed and she never leaves it until I get up (and I always wake up before she does). So I go to pick her up and I realize I have bearded dragon poop in between my fingers. Yep. She did it again!

Is this normal? Pudgy is sick for the first time in 5-6 years (she's a rescue and the vet estimates her to be about 6). But she is sick for the first time since I have had her. The vet says ear infection, but I suspect something else. She is on Fortaz-injected every three days for 30 days. She has had four injections, so far.

I just changed her from a PowerSun 10.0 160W to a ReptiSun 10.0 with a separate 65W basking bulb. Her temps are fine and she does seem A LOT better. No more stress marks, more alert and her color looks back to normal (she was very dark and brown). BUT... Her left eye is still halfway shut (saline rinses are not working) and she still has something wrong with the left side of her mouth. I am super stressed :banghead: because she is having a hard time swallowing. I have no idea if this is all related or just a coincidence.

I have never made a slurry before and not sure how to do it. Have to research the boards, but she has hardly been eating. A few silkworms and Reptiworms here and there along with greens (collard, chard, dandelion, mustard) but she has a hard time with them. They get stuck in the roof of her mouth. Vet said she saw no blockage. Pudgy goes back the 20th.

So anyway, sorry I rambled there. Back to the first question. Does your beardie do this? Is it just that she is super relaxed and BAM!! It comes out? Since switching her lighting, she has never pooped so regularly!

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Ive never heard of a beardie doing this..

I'd agree with you that something more might be going on with her..

Hope everything works out for you

Edit*

Her eyes being closed makes me think her lighting is bugging her

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, and it is just her left eye - halfway shut. It happened the day I put a new PowerSun 10.0 160W bulb in her terrarium. I immediately switched to the PowerSun 10.0 and a separate basking bulb after coming in here. She seems better, but her eye is still halfway shut.

I am just so unsure of what to do. :banghead: And worried!

Thanks for your feedback.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
PudgysMom":3fpvxato said:
Yes, and it is just her left eye - halfway shut. It happened the day I put a new PowerSun 10.0 160W bulb in her terrarium. I immediately switched to the PowerSun 10.0 and a separate basking bulb after coming in here. She seems better, but her eye is still halfway shut.

I am just so unsure of what to do. :banghead: And worried!

Thanks for your feedback.

Hmm

Try turning the uv lighting off for a few days to give her time to heal over, it might have been the new bulb, but even using the old one could irritate the injury she got from the new one

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok. Will do. Will she be ok without any UVB for a few days? is the basking (heat) bulb ok to keep on?

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
PudgysMom":q5gijcx0 said:
Ok. Will do. Will she be ok without any UVB for a few days? is the basking (heat) bulb ok to keep on?

She should be, if your really worried just take her out side for an hour,

mellu

Juvie Member
I had an eye problem with my big guy too, I changed the bulb umpteen million times and it didn't help. He had a retained shed all around the eye. Try the bulb solution first if it doesn't help start giving her more baths and use a soaked cotton ball on her head and drape it down AROUND the eye. It probably ISN'T that but I'm just throwing that out there, my guy has chronic skin retaining problems so it's the kind of thing that happens all the time with him.

Doing the baths will also help to clear out her bowels so maybe she won't poop in her sleep? It would concern me if my guys did this as their digestive tracts are supposed to slow down at night, I'd cut out the warmer too as that could be keeping her digestive tract running more than it normally would? Just give her a fleece blankey and make sure her temps don't dip too low at night(I keep mine around 75). Point out to your vet that this is causing you concern and her ear is completely unrelated to her bum so you'd like some reassurance everything is okay with her GI tract.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks. I will get rid of that warmer. Yeah, I keep the place 75-78. I also do give her regular soaks. She released some urate the other day when she was playing on the carpet. I got her into the sink to finish up her bowel movement and she had a good poop. She's just never pooped so much since I started on the ReptiSun 10.0. This is so new to me LOL!

Thanks again for the advice. I've turned off the UVB and will see how it goes for the next few days.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Just saw a photo of your baby

I'm sorry to say but it looks like the start of mouth rot.
Or a bad infection
I'm surprised your vet didn't catch that unless the vet hasn't seen your little one since it started
Can you get your little one to the vet soon?

And shes got a nasty ear infection, but I'm sure the vet told you that

mellu

Juvie Member
I agree with the mouth rot, we are not vets but I think you need to find a new vet, your current one just isn't doing a good job. Her ear seems to have retained shed(so that could very well be what is wrong with her eye).

That's going by this picture
5948379835_410a644fd2.jpg

You can see where the colour difference from the normal skin ends, just under her eye where it's light and then it goes dark and her ear looks covered over with dead skin and pus.
I don't want you to go by what I'm saying here as I really think you need to locate a new reptile vet who is maybe more experienced, I'm worried for your little one and I want you both to be happy with the end results. Good luck, hon.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, they did diagnose the ear infection had started her on Fortaz. She has had four injections (she is supposed to be on it for 30 days...one injection every three days-which I have been doing).

How does mouth rot start? Oh my goodness. I don't mean to be a drama queen, but I feel SO BAD. Did I do something wrong?

She didn't seem to have the mouth rot when I took her in in early (that would've been around the 2nd or 3rd). Although her lip was "off". The guy who owns the petstore here (not a chain, the guy has been breeding beardies for 20+ years) also did not catch it.

She is going back to the vet this week on the 20th for her two week check-up. Is this curable? is there anything I can do? Do I need to clean out her terrarium?

I am telling you, I swear (pardon me for swearing) that you all know more than my vet!!! He is supposed to be like the #1 herp vet out there. I am so upset :angry5: GRRR.

Is there anything I can do in the immediate? THANK YOU SO MUCH for giving me answers!!! I have been sick over this!

PS there is no bad breath and no wet pus whatsoever from anywhere.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
PudgysMom":26z5tsmm said:
Okay, they did diagnose the ear infection had started her on Fortaz. She has had four injections (she is supposed to be on it for 30 days...one injection every three days-which I have been doing).

How does mouth rot start? Oh my goodness. I don't mean to be a drama queen, but I feel SO BAD. Did I do something wrong?

She didn't seem to have the mouth rot when I took her in in early (that would've been around the 2nd or 3rd). Although her lip was "off". The guy who owns the petstore here (not a chain, the guy has been breeding beardies for 20+ years) also did not catch it.

She is going back to the vet this week on the 20th for her two week check-up. Is this curable? is there anything I can do? Do I need to clean out her terrarium?

I am telling you, I swear (pardon me for swearing) that you all know more than my vet!!! He is supposed to be like the #1 herp vet out there. I am so upset :angry5: GRRR.

Is there anything I can do in the immediate? THANK YOU SO MUCH for giving me answers!!! I have been sick over this!

You need to keep her mouth clean, and its nothing you did I believe it has to do with humidity and bacteria

I'd honestly get a new vet..

I cant remember how to get ride of mouth rot in Bearded dragons, Ive only dealt with it in Water Dragons, I am going to Pm Tracie (Shes a mod) and have her take a look at this for you

mellu

Juvie Member
I would switch vets if it was me, there is no need to take any chances with him missing anything else. Don't beat yourself up as you've obviously done nothing but try to help your baby, you're a good momma.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have another recommendation of another herp vet and I will make an appt with him ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom