Does anybody no if or how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IS it possible to tech beardies tricks or something like that. LIke simple things like sit come and stay? :blob8: This is'nt really a serious question m just curious. :wink:

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
No it's not
A bearded dragon is not the smartest reptile around, an iguana is much more intelligent.
I know my dragon does not listen because he wanted to try to jump to the couch from a table and i told him no and he looked at me and decided to just jump
:banghead:

Yes but did he not understand or did he really just want to jump? You have to try to remember we are the SLAVES and they are the MASTERS.
On a more serious note, I don't think they can be trained but you can condition them to do some things if you incorporate their favorite treats into the conditioning.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
My dragons know routine. If they're fed at the same time everyday they'll start getting excited around the same time every day when they know food is coming.

I don't think that they're trainable in the sense that you're asking. But I do think that they "learn" routines.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Poisoned1":4c85f said:
No it's not
A bearded dragon is not the smartest reptile around, an iguana is much more intelligent.
I know my dragon does not listen because he wanted to try to jump to the couch from a table and i told him no and he looked at me and decided to just jump
:banghead:

I disagree that beardies aren't intelligent. Miss Y loved to chew on my hair, usually while she was clinging to my shirt, on my back. I would bring her around to the front, hold her in my hand and told her "no, chew" usually several times. The look she gave me told me she understood what I was saying and she would wait until I forgot (or she thought that I'd forgotten) and then go back around behind my head and start the chewing up again. She knew what I wanted her to do and she was determined to do what she wanted to do, no matter what I'd told her.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
If you understand how an animal thinks you can train it. I say beardies can be trained because they have the ability to make associations. ex - You use yellow tweezers to feed them. They see yellow tweezers and are able to associate them with food even when they can't see the food. much like the pavlov's dog response. The easiest way to train an animal is with positive reinforcement which is rewarding them for doing something so they will want to do it again. hand gestures, food and a reinforcement sound. You make the gesture, give them the food and use a sound like a clicker when they do something that comes natural to them. After a while they will come to associate the sound with success and you won't need the food. With beardies I say try to start with something basic like opening their mouth. My father used to train dolphins and dogs with this method and he says it works for every animal.

for the most part any creature that is motivated by food can be "trained" or at least exhibit a desired behavior in order to get the food. my gecko used to be really cage aggressive (i rescued him, i don't think he got much interaction), but i started hand feeding him crickets and worms, now he associates my hand with food and come out of his house to me. i am doing the same thing with my baby beardie, food isn't coming to him/her[don't really know yet], i bring them to the food, whether its in my hand or in a separate container. i think that this will associate my hand and leaving the cage, with food and make him/her more sociable.

so if you wanted to try to associate a certain behavior with a treat, i guess you could try it, as long as your beardie can identify the action that is getting the reward.

also i have my cat trained to close doors :laughing6: , and the dog knows tons of tricks :book:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom