Do beardies bond with their owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
They all seem to have different "personalities", that's for sure...

I had a male that would actively seek me out when he was out and about the house - I believe he genuinely enjoyed my company.

I also had a female at the same time that would just as soon see me choke to death than let me handle her. :roll:

I will say that they are curious and clever creatures, and that equates to intelligence in the animal world.

Bearded dragons aren't domesticated to the point that dogs and cats are, for instance - and that only happened with thousands of years of living with us, and us controlling their breeding for certain traits - but I do believe they have the mental and emotional capacity to be.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Well, I don't know about "bonding", but I know that Fluffy most definitely has a way of expressing her "feelings" about whatever she wants. She can throw a tantrum that would deserve respect from any two year old human. There is no question when she wants to be held and when she doesn't. She does different things with each of her different humans. And it is all extremely entertaining. Today she was petting me. :shock: Yup. Every time I reached up and petted her back, she would pick up her little foot and pet my neck. Would have been cuter if not for the toenails.

Anyway, my point is that we interact with each other. I'm happy and she's happy. And when she's not happy everyone knows about it. I'd say we've got a pretty good relationship going and I don't feel the need to really define it any better than that.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
I always love it when this topic comes up. Just to read how other people see there dragons behavior. Which ever side you take on this topic its nice to see other people just as passionate about there dragon as myself!!
~, Tommie

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
NeosMom":1u8tpgl9 said:
Today she was petting me. :shock: Yup. Every time I reached up and petted her back, she would pick up her little foot and pet my neck. Would have been cuter if not for the toenails.

Just have to say... awwwww!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Here's what I know. I know that my dragon (Malcolm), will run and try to jump back into his tank when he doesn't want to be held :( . I also know that he will lay on me until he falls asleep when he does want cuddle time :D . I know that any creature smart enough to understand what they do or do not want, is smart enough to understand affection. Just because an animal doesn't show fear when scared or happiness when happy doesn't mean they don't feel it. I think it's more about the animal not being designed to physically show basic emotion. I know Malcolm enjoys our time when he feels like it, if not, his whole life would be about the inside of his tank, or trying to get back in a tank. I have faith that we understand each other and in the end, that's all I need. I just plain love him for no other reason then I am blessed enough to know him. :wink:

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Morphmom,
I agree with you but I do want to point out that I do think they show when they are scared as they black beard,hiss or etc. I think you will agree with me on that.
Sometimes, I think I can tell when they are happy as they have that content look on thier face.
So that just goes back to what you are saying.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Yes. I do agree with you :wink: . They do feel fear and go into defense mode and physically show it. I'd like to also point out that animals with 'very basic brains' have been known to be capable of amazing tasks. Such as homing pigions winning races and spiders compleating obstacle courses to get to a fly :study: . In terms of the brain, I choose to proceed with caution and never underestimate anything. Great topic by the way. :blob5:

NeosMom

Juvie Member
But are we discussing intelligence here or emotional capability? Perfect example - my brother. To talk to him, you would say the man doesn't have a brain in his sad little head. However, he earns a living running his own plumbing company. Obviously a lot smarter than he appears. And yet, he has absolutely no concept of emotions or how to deal with them (according to every girlfriend he ever had, anyway). So, I have to make the argument that intelligence and the ability to bond with someone are two different things.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Lol! :lol: Fair, but one might say that your brother chooses not to bond. He's still capible. I would argue that intelligent animals are in fact smart enough to choose affection and respond to it. Like stated before, bearded dragons do seem to get quite the contented look on their little faces when they seem to be enjoying something. I think there is a thought process first. Like, they have already decided how they will react before you pick them up. I think the two are connected. Opinions? :)

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Well, then that proves my theory. My bearded dragons really are smarter than my brother! I had always suspected as much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom