Do Bearded Dragons Stink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that of all the pets i've owned my lizard is the least offensive in just about every area. They won't stink so long as you take care of the poop right away and clean the cage every so often. There usually pretty clean and when they do poop just give them a bath right away.

relab

Fallencomrade2008":1uqzc695 said:
I just wanted to let you know in my personal experiance it's better to buy one from a breeder rather than a store just because of the way they are cared for.

I agree 100%. buy from a breeder for 2 reasons. You know they were cared for by a knowledgeable person, as opposed to a (possibly clueless) pet store employee. Also you know the husbandry, sex, and birth date of your dragon.

I bought a dragon from a pet store a little over a month ago, and wished I had waited and found a proper breeder in my area. I have spend well over $150 in vet bills and meds since the baby beardie I got had abnormally high levels of cocidilla and round worms(which is extremely rare in dragons). I spend a lot of time getting my guy back to health ( I didn't do it alone though, I had a lot of help from mods on this board :D ). This was very stressful especially being a newb with dragons, but I'm glad we got though it together. It makes me feel like a better owner now knowing I can identify a problem, and address it before it gets worse, but still the main goal is to have a healthy dragon in the first place.

-erik

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
I am very happy that you were able to get your baby feeling better! That is the number one reason I recommend breeders. I get so sad seeing someone buy from a petstore or wholesaler at the shows just because I know the heartache they are probably going to be going through soon. The dragons are too young to be sold in the first place, small, cold, improperly fed and highly stressed out. Nothing good can come from that, and typically can put them off of beardies all together!

Anyways, sorry for the ramble, good luck with your baby!!

Metalz

Fallencomrade2008":q5tfnxd0 said:
Oh and you should check your local Craigslist.com for used terrariums. There more like 40-50 bucks

if you do go to craigslist for a viv make sure you disinfect it well with 90% water and 10% bleach. You have no idea what was in or what died in them. If there is something in the viv it could carry over to your new dragon if the viv is not cleaned well.

paulpjholcomb

Original Poster
Metalz":2vl4wobw said:
Fallencomrade2008":2vl4wobw said:
Oh and you should check your local Craigslist.com for used terrariums. There more like 40-50 bucks

if you do go to craigslist for a viv make sure you disinfect it well with 90% water and 10% bleach. You have no idea what was in or what died in them. If there is something in the viv it could carry over to your new dragon if the viv is not cleaned well.

Gotcha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom