Desperate!! Help Please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Everyone, sorry there has been no updates for a couple of days, but it has been pretty hectic here. My daughter has been sick, and believe me, she is much more demanding and needy than poor Georgie!

Georgie is much the same, I am still syringe feeding her baby food and daily Reptoboost baths. Good news is she finally pooped today :D . Very nervous about vets tomorrow and will let you know how we get on when we get back...promise photos tomorrow xx

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
WooHoo!

Here's a happy poopy dance for Georgie!

Hope your daughter is feeling better.
There's not much worse/demanding than a sick child unless it's a sick hubby. :roll: :lol:

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, we are back from the vet and he has decided to try Georgie on a different antibiotic as he is in agreement that her breathing is not right. On a good note, he says that she looks healthy, her eyes are bright and the inside of her mouth is nice and pink, although she is quite still and sluggish. She has actually gained weight, on the last visit she was 400g and this time she was 417g. He says that I am doing a great job looking after her and to stop beating myself up. The antibiotic he is now giving her is call Fortum and was given via vaccination, he also gave her a multivitamin jab to try to perk her up. She has to go back on friday for another dose and it may be necessary to give her a third dose. The poor baby did not even flinch when he gave her the jab, and silly mummy was in tears and couldn't look :oops: He says he doesn't expect to see an improvement until after the 2nd jab as reptiles are slow to respond, but to just keep doing what I am doing. What do you all think, does this sound like a good course of action? This is all breaking my heart :(

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I think you may mean Fortaz(Ceftazidime) correct? Do you know what the dosage was? I would really like to know before you take her in for a 2nd round if at all possible.The only thing I would do is make sure to keep her plenty hydrated as it is not as easy on the kidneys as Baytril and of course keep up with the probiotics.I am glad you took her back as it did sound as if her RI was not cleared up.

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Vicky, I googled Fortum and it does go by the other names you mentioned. I don't know the dosage as the vet gave it to her via syringe. I hope he hasn't done the wrong thing :( I am bathing her and mixing some water in with her baby food, is that enough to keep her hydrated do you think? I am also still giving probiotics via soya yoghurt and Reptoboost..I am really worried now that the antibiotics may harm her. It was only a very small syringe and probably didn't hold more than 1ml, but I don't know how much was actually in it, sorry

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Doing a lot of 'Star Gazing' today, when is my baby gonna get well again?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Give the vet a call in the morning and ask him what they dosage was - it should be on Georgie's records - so someone should be able to look it up for you without any trouble.

Sounds like she is getting plenty of hydration - how long are you bathing her for every day?

Getting well does take a long time with reptiles so try to be patient (I know thats much easier said than done!!)

Good luck with the rest of the meds!!
Beardie hugs!!

T

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi MissT, she is not too keen on the baths, so manage about 10-15 minutes at a time. I am just so worried that she is not going to make it! I am a mum of two teenagers so should be used to stress and worry, but this little girl has just got such a special place in my heart :( Apparently my vet is a reptile lover and has done lots of work with them for the Zoological Society, so I guess I just have to trust that he knows what he is doing, but I will definately try to get the dosage and let you all know. Thanks for hugs, much appreciated x

MissT

BD.org Addict
Well then, im sure he will understand your need to know the dosage!! hehe!! My vet now makes sure im listening to him and that I ask all my questions while im there otherwise he gets about 10 phonecalls from me after the appointment.

One thing tho - im not sure if everyone will agree with me but Im going to throw it out there and see what the opinion is... with her having an RI, im thinking you should cut her baths down to perhaps every second/third day. If you do bath her, try to bath her quite early in the day so that she has plenty of time to get warmed up and 'dried out' again - at least a couple hours before bed time!!

Are you using a night time heat source? I missed that in your posts. You might want to get them, just so her temps are well boosted during this time - I would try to keep her night time temps at least in the mid 70's!

Beardie hugs really are the best!! Kazi and Phoebe send giant cuddles to you and Georgie!!!

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't have a night time heater but have been looking at the possibility of a ceramic one, but my fittings are plastic and not suitable. My house is not cold and night time temps don't fall below 70, I have been covering her viv with a fleece blanket at night just to hold some heat in. Is there anything else you can suggest? Hugs right back to all of you x

MissT

BD.org Addict
I use a black night light (my fittings on the side that both of mine sleep are also plastic) - I know they arent highly recommended but I make sure my babies are well covered with a dark coloured blankie and that their heads are not directly under the light (and pointing away from it).

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi There
Miss T was correct is saying you are doing great with the hydrating and normally I would agree about cutting the baths back but with the med she is on a short daily bath is still a good idea to keep her kidneys cycling as long as her tank is warm enough and she doesn't dive under the water(some do,mine do)then it should be fine.If you want to temporarily heat at night a black light would be ok although it does not sound as if you need anything since temps dont fall below 7-F.If you want to do additional warming do a rice sock at bedtime and wrap her and the rice sock in a blankie which will help keep her warmed through out the night.I know it is stressful but you are doing great and I think she will be ok.I only asked about the med dosage so I could double check it for you so dont panic over that,ok?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
WooHoo! It worked! :D

Georgie's a good looking beardie thanks for figuring out how to share her with us. :wink:

How's she doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom