Desperate!! Help Please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I agree with Barbara just keep up with the yogurt until she is eating regurly on her own.You said she is looking up? We call that star gazing,they do that sometimes but it can also be a sympton of illness.Does she appear to be having any issues breathing? Any mucous near the eyes or mouth?

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Vicky, her breathing seems okay since course of Baytril. She breathes a bit heavy when we put her back in the viv after feeding her, but I thought that she was maybe a bit stressed, she hates this force feeding business. No mucus around eyes, nose or mouth. I am partially deaf, but my daughter has said that occassionaly she hears a very faint popping noise. Maybe the RI hasn't cleared up, think I will take her back to the vet on monday if she is eatting over the weekend. It is not so much that she is 'looking up', she just seems to stare into space as if in a trance.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
If your daughter is still hearing any popping noises even ever so faintly then you should definately take her back to the vet. The med's may have only knocked it down and not gotten rid of the infection.

Is she doing any better taking food today? Has she given you a poop yet?

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She has taken more of the baby food quite willingly today via syringe and had some yoghurt. She is looking at her live food with a bit of interest now, but still not taking any. It is a holiday weekend here in England this weekend, so nothing open now until tuesday, I will definately take her back to the vet then and let you know how I get on. I wish I could take her back sooner as I am so worried. But she seems to be still alert and not weak. She also seems to be maintaining her weight. Would you expect the vet to give her another dose of Baytril if the RI is still present? Still no poop yet, fingers crossed for tomorrow x

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am glad to hear your are getting her back to the vet.That is the best course of action if she is still making popping noises.There are sometimes some residual effects from an RI but popping is usually a good indicator the infection is still present.They will most likely put her back on the Baytril again,yes.I recommend if they try to put her on something different that you check here first as there are quite a few meds out there that can be very harsh even lethal that vets sometimes prescripe erroniously.What are your basking temps again? I am thinking it might not be a bad idea to boost them up a bit along with using the rice sock but that all depends on how high they are now.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
You know I'm not sure if they would use the Baytril again or approach it with a different med. I know like with humans if an antibiotic that they prescribe doesn't do the trick they usually won't prescribe the same one again.

When is the last time your daughter heard the popping sound?
Just make sure to keep her warm until then.

Hey atleast she's looking at the live feeders now that's actually a good sign and it's great that she's more willing to take the hand feedings too, an alert. :D

BTW the antibiotics tend to dehydrate them so make sure you are offering plenty of water an you might soak her tummy and vent in warm water massaging the right side to help work loose any poop she has...she should have eaten enough now that she's got some. Or you could even try some babyfood applesauce that usually gets things moving. :wink:

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi everyone. My daughter cuddled her for about an hour this evening and says that she heard no popping. Basking temp 115 (i do have another bulb which takes this up to 130, but thought that was too hot?), cool end 90-95. She is tending to stay in the middle of the viv (it is 4ft long). I move her to the hot end occassionally, especially after a feed to help digest the food. I have noticed that she is not gaping at all, even when at the hot end :? We have been giving her tummy rubs and her tummy feels quite soft, not bloated or hard. Will feed apple baby food tomorrow. Gosh, everyone told me that beardies were easy to look after, and before we got her, I made sure that I found out all about them and their care and bought everything necessary. This little girl is sure giving me a lot of worry and stress, I just don't know what I have done so wrong :cry: We all love her so much ( well maybe not the dogs :wink: )

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi Toni! I am Vicky :wink:

Ok you are correct 130 is way to hot,temps are fine as they are I just wanted to make sure as sometimes if its on the lower end a little boost can help dry them out. I am happy your daughter did not hear any popping,that is good news.As for beardies being easy well in some ways yes they are but in others they are not.They are one of the easier species of reptile to keep but all reptiles have specific requirements that need maintaing which is very unlike that of a dog or cat so it is just a matter of how you look at it I suppose.The other problem is beardies are just so easy to get attached to that just living isn't enough for most of us beardie slaves,we strive for perfect living :wink:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
:wave: Toni. I'm glad to hear that she's doing better. I did want to say that if she is laying in the middle of the tank rather than under the basking light, it sounds like the 115 may even be too hot for her. When you put her in the basking spot, about how long does she stay there?

I agree with Barb that the vet may very well change the antibiotic to something else if her symptoms haven't totally cleared. When that happens with humans, it usually means that the antibiotic originally given wasn't the right one for the particular infection so a different family of antibiotic is needed to clear it completely.

We'd love to see some pics of her if you could post some. :wink:

tonid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Everyone...she is much the same today, looking at her live feeders with a bit of interest and a couple of times she half opened her mouth to take them, but then she seemed to change her mind and didn't. I have an appointment with the vet for tuesday so will let you know how we get on. I am just a bit concerned that he may prescribe her dangerous antibiotics (I am such a worrier), so wondered if you could just let me know the names of any to avoid giving her. No poop still despite baths and tummy rubs. Could only get apple & pear baby food, but guess that will work the same of just plain apple. Will get my kids to put photos of her on here tomorrow as I am not good at all that stuff. Can't wait for you to see her, she is just so pretty :) Regarding basking temps, I do have a lower wattage lamp that would take her temp down to around 100, but it doesn't heat the cool end of the tank that well. Can't get the basking light any further away as the tank has a fixed top.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
tonid":frr35jwx said:
Hi Everyone...she is much the same today, looking at her live feeders with a bit of interest and a couple of times she half opened her mouth to take them, but then she seemed to change her mind and didn't. I have an appointment with the vet for tuesday so will let you know how we get on. I am just a bit concerned that he may prescribe her dangerous antibiotics (I am such a worrier), so wondered if you could just let me know the names of any to avoid giving her. No poop still despite baths and tummy rubs. Could only get apple & pear baby food, but guess that will work the same of just plain apple. Will get my kids to put photos of her on here tomorrow as I am not good at all that stuff. Can't wait for you to see her, she is just so pretty :) Regarding basking temps, I do have a lower wattage lamp that would take her temp down to around 100, but it doesn't heat the cool end of the tank that well. Can't get the basking light any further away as the tank has a fixed top.
Well interest is start hopefully she will get a little better day by day although I am glad to hear your taking her into the vet.As for meds you can check here with us with med and dosage before giving them to her but the one med I would immediately refuse is Ivermectin which some vets prescribe incorrectly IMO to reptiles.It is traditionally a live stock medicine but has been used in reptiles.It is very harsh and has even been known to cause death in beardies specifically so if he offers that I would greet that suggestion with a resounding NO! I cant see that he would since generally it is used for parasites but I wanted to mention it just in case.

I cannot wait to see pics of her! I suggest you open a photobucket.com account and use the IMG code to paste the pics here.It is the easiest way to post pics.

On the heating, when you sau the cool end doesnt heat up as well how cold does it get? You can also use any ordinary household bulb so long as it reaches the desired temp, a reptile bulb is not necessary for heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom