Death of my heart

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so sorry ! That can be very serious, infection from cat bite is no joke ! The clinic cat should not be roaming around and if you incur even a dollar in medical expenses be sure to keep track and have the vets office pay. I know the clinic treated you very consolingly during your trauma with Lenny and that this is an accident but the accident was due to their negligence. I hope it does not get too bad but there's a chance that it will. Please keep us updated on YOUR emergency now. Wishing you the best, get to the Dr. ASAP to ward off a possible and extrememy serious infection.

Last edited:

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Are you going to a Dr. today, even an Urgent care ?
Yes, I contacted my doc via telehealth and she made me go to the er because she was thinking iv abx. I went in and they gave me a tdap and an rx, so hopefully that's that, but I know hand bites are... ugh. Maybe God is trying to keep me distracted from my emotional pain?

As for the clinic cat, I DID pet it despite the numerous signs that say to pet the roaming animals at your own risk because they might bite. Plus I know I startled the other human in there, I'm sure my abrupt mood change scared the poor cat as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231014-141104_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231014-141104_Messages.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K good, hopefully it will not get worse. And no, God wouldn't distract us with something painful but gives us the good things + experiences we have.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so sorry that happened! I hope you are doing better. Cats can definitely give some bad bites.
Let us know how you are doing!

Tracie

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Hello,

Oh so sorry that happened! I hope you are doing better. Cats can definitely give some bad bites.
Let us know how you are doing!

Tracie
As it turns out, the oral antibiotics didn't quite do the trick and my hand/wrist worsened until I was sent home from work on Monday. I ended up spending 2 nights in the hospital with antibiotics running 24/7. They even had a hand surgeon consult, I was shocked! I knew cat bites were high risk but I absolutely did not anticipate this level of involvement. I will definitely think twice before petting cats I encounter. I'm sure I'll still do it more often than not, but I WILL think twice.

Every doctor or nurse who crossed my path asked about the circumstance of the bite, and I told them all, and every single one ended up wanting to see pictures of Lenny and offering their condolences and asking questions about him. Even nurses not assigned to me came by asking about my sweet lizard. It was nice to share him with everyone, even in memory. 💜

Attachments

• Snapchat-694015247.jpg
    Snapchat-694015247.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 55

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ouch, poor thing to have this happen on top of your grief. One thing about empathetic nurses, sometimes they can make you feel like you are their own family when in the hospital. It's nice that they showed so much interest in Lenny. :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
When your stuck in yhe hospital it's in your best interest to befriend the nurses. They are the ones that actually take care of you.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad sharing stories and pics with the nurses brought you happiness 😊
Get well soon 🤗

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
This week was pretty busy, so I had a lot to keep my mind off crying, and I did take your advice about making a photo album. I found myself crying, then smiling and laughing through those tears, and pretty soon those tears dried up! I felt much better, sad, of course, but better... up until today when I picked up his cremains. I keep hearing that grief comes in waves, but I think a more accurate water comparison would be "drowning."

I also believe Lenny's spirit will find mine again, and I am so torn between wanting to go out there and find him already and not being ready to sanitize his enclosure and let another lizard in... I built that home FOR Lenny... Would everything become a new lizard's? Or would the newcomer just be using Lenny's things? Mostly I just know that I can't love another lizard quite yet.

On a side note, I don't know how many on here live in Texas, but my vet provides cremation services through a place called Fond Memories, and they really provided a beautiful package. It was horrible to get Lenny's cremains, but it was at least a small comfort to see everything so meticulously and carefully packaged, delivered in such a dignified way. I didn't ask for or pay for impressions or prints, but I'll treasure them forever.
I have the same thing but of my old dogs Prints they're really a great way to keep a beloved animal in your memory.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I'm don't know where you live, so not sure what laws would apply, but it is my opinion that the clinic should be paying your medical bills, or at least their insurance company should be. The sign being up proves they KNOW they are letting an animal roam that could be dangerous to their customers, but they are allowing that unsafe situation to exist anyway. You already had enough going on without this happening. Your original post absolutely broke my heart and I wish there was more I could do for you right now. At least: thank god for nurses!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, you have really been through it, how awful! I hope you are feeling better. Not everyone responds
quite like that to a cat bite, but when you do it can be really bad.
I'm glad the nurses were nice, very lucky there! I hope things start to look up for you.

Tracie

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
It's been a rough few weeks and a bittersweet day. I have never taken a loss this hard in my life. My son bounced back quicker than I, and he'd been badgering me for a new friend to fill the empty lizard home in his room. We got Lenny as a tiny baby over Thanksgiving break all those years ago, and the timing was not lost on us. I agreed, but dragged my feet the whole break until today. I told him that we'd look, but that we had to find the RIGHT lizard, and that it would probably take more than one stop, more than one day, etc. I had finally cleaned and sanitized Lenny's home a couple weeks ago, and since I'd had the fogger out, I had also done his travel tank. My son made sure to bring it along "just in case". I warned him not to be disappointed if it came home empty, as you couldn't rush these things.

We went to a reptile store, and I was pretty much crying as soon as we walked in. While I tried to do that quietly, my son immediately gravitated to an orange beardie. I just KNEW he would want that one as soon as I saw it. I had a baby in mind, like Lenny, but this guy was more like a toddler beardie. My son asked to hold him, and when the staff handed him over, the little lizard jumped right out of his hands onto the counter, looking like he wanted to make an escape. I quickly picked him up, and the lizard tilted his head up at me, licked my hand twice and then immediately crapped in my hands. My son was sold. He said he knew it, he felt it, he wanted THIS lizard, it had to be THIS ONE. I started to protest, this was literally the first beardie we'd laid eyes on since losing Lenny, plus he'd jumped and looked like he wanted to run off. I went to wash my hands and upon my return, my son was in full pleading mode, even deploying puppy-dog eyes like I've not seen from him in years...he kept insisting this was The One, he knew it in his heart. I glanced at the thing, trying to find the right words to persuade my son to at least look at another lizard, but then I saw it... this guy had a tiny kink in his tail in the same spot Lenny did. I'm pretty sure many beardies have kinked tail tips, and I'm damn sure most of them like to crap on the hands that hold them, but other beardies didn't matter right then, the jumping crapper was coming home with us. I apologized to the staff member for being so weird, with the crying and all, and she said that actually, she got a lot of criers. She said that losing them was awful and that it was nice I was ready to love another. I looked, snifling, at the sweet lizard who isn't Lenny and said "well, to be frank..." but instead of finishing the sentence, I realized his name was Frank.

Frank came home with us and ate 18 xs dubia, basked on Lenny's old platform, then climbed me and went to sleep. He nestled right up to my neck just like Lenny used to. It it simultaneously breaking and warming my heart that Frank is in Lenny's spot and Lenny's still there, his ashes in my teardrop necklace. 💔❤️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125_221724.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_221724.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231125_221621.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_221621.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20231125_221516.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_221516.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 34

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
It's been a rough few weeks and a bittersweet day. I have never taken a loss this hard in my life. My son bounced back quicker than I, and he'd been badgering me for a new friend to fill the empty lizard home in his room. We got Lenny as a tiny baby over Thanksgiving break all those years ago, and the timing was not lost on us. I agreed, but dragged my feet the whole break until today. I told him that we'd look, but that we had to find the RIGHT lizard, and that it would probably take more than one stop, more than one day, etc. I had finally cleaned and sanitized Lenny's home a couple weeks ago, and since I'd had the fogger out, I had also done his travel tank. My son made sure to bring it along "just in case". I warned him not to be disappointed if it came home empty, as you couldn't rush these things.

We went to a reptile store, and I was pretty much crying as soon as we walked in. While I tried to do that quietly, my son immediately gravitated to an orange beardie. I just KNEW he would want that one as soon as I saw it. I had a baby in mind, like Lenny, but this guy was more like a toddler beardie. My son asked to hold him, and when the staff handed him over, the little lizard jumped right out of his hands onto the counter, looking like he wanted to make an escape. I quickly picked him up, and the lizard tilted his head up at me, licked my hand twice and then immediately crapped in my hands. My son was sold. He said he knew it, he felt it, he wanted THIS lizard, it had to be THIS ONE. I started to protest, this was literally the first beardie we'd laid eyes on since losing Lenny, plus he'd jumped and looked like he wanted to run off. I went to wash my hands and upon my return, my son was in full pleading mode, even deploying puppy-dog eyes like I've not seen from him in years...he kept insisting this was The One, he knew it in his heart. I glanced at the thing, trying to find the right words to persuade my son to at least look at another lizard, but then I saw it... this guy had a tiny kink in his tail in the same spot Lenny did. I'm pretty sure many beardies have kinked tail tips, and I'm damn sure most of them like to crap on the hands that hold them, but other beardies didn't matter right then, the jumping crapper was coming home with us. I apologized to the staff member for being so weird, with the crying and all, and she said that actually, she got a lot of criers. She said that losing them was awful and that it was nice I was ready to love another. I looked, snifling, at the sweet lizard who isn't Lenny and said "well, to be frank..." but instead of finishing the sentence, I realized his name was Frank.

Frank came home with us and ate 18 xs dubia, basked on Lenny's old platform, then climbed me and went to sleep. He nestled right up to my neck just like Lenny used to. It it simultaneously breaking and warming my heart that Frank is in Lenny's spot and Lenny's still there, his ashes in my teardrop necklace. 💔❤️
The tail kink twin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125-205921_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125-205921_Photos.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 30

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Heeeeey, a new little stinking love bug ! So nice to see this , it was a funny story [ still with the remnants of sadness ] in the pet store but it seemed to have worked out well ! Frank knows who and how to snuggle, glad that you made the immediate bond and hoping all goes well. Looking forward to hearing about his growth with your family !

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom