Curiousity about good behavior and acclimating Uro to being held without stress.

Reprobate16

Beardie name(s)
Arlo the Uromastyx
I am curious and seeking extra advice as I have a new little guy named Arlo. He is my first lizard I got him on Sunday July 10th. He's been kind of suspiciously relaxed and eating just fine since I got him which I'm happy about! Still some glass surfing but thats to be expected. He loves when I place food around his tank for him to find. Arlo is good, I just want some extra advice on how to approach him in a way that is comfortable after he has a good routine and has settled. Any advice on handling and how to build trust with Arlo? Hand feeding tips would be great too!

Attachments

• 20220712_144513.jpg
    20220712_144513.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Snapchat-1133333019.jpg
    Snapchat-1133333019.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Snapchat-3657669.jpg
    Snapchat-3657669.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 96

Reprobate16

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arlo the Uromastyx
I am curious and seeking extra advice as I have a new little guy named Arlo. He is my first lizard I got him on Sunday July 10th. He's been kind of suspiciously relaxed and eating just fine since I got him which I'm happy about! Still some glass surfing but thats to be expected. He loves when I place food around his tank for him to find. Arlo is good, I just want some extra advice on how to approach him in a way that is comfortable after he has a good routine and has settled. Any advice on handling and how to build trust with Arlo? Hand feeding tips would be great too!
Side note: He watches me a lot! Is that normal? 😅

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Uros typically are harder to tame than beardies. Calcifer took me near a year to get tamed, although admittedly I wasn't being as consistent with my efforts as I could have been.

Either way, it's the same as taming any lizard - Time, patience, and baby steps. There are no real rules or guides, but there are tips that can help.

• If he is really frightened of you, you can try to start interacting/holding him when he is tired/cold. They are less likely to fight/run when they are in this state.
  • Don't try to pick him up by coming overhead. Most lizards see this as a threat because it is similar to a bird. Try to bring your hand to him low and from the side.
  • Be consistent.
If his previous owner handled him, he likely is already tamed, or will be easier to tame.

I can tell you he already is acting a lot different than Calcifer did, which leads me to believe Arlo is comfortable around people, and will be quite easy to tame if he isn't already.

-Brandon

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom