Concerned about our baby dragons' size! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Hi again!

Sorry he isn't eating at all now. I was truly hoping something would've gotten better by now. But, with the advice Embee is giving, you should be noticing some sort of difference for the better soon. :wink:

I hope Reptaid works on Smaug, if you do decide to purchase it. I am going to try it out on my beardie and see how things go. Hopefully, it makes a difference in both our beardies' lives. I like the idea that I'm not putting a whole bunch of unknown chemicals in my dragon, too, with it being natural.

I think I met you on another thread, and also inquired on Smaug's Tolkien-based name. I've been reading the LOTR series, but I've misplaced The Two Towers before I could finish it. I'm very upset with myself.

-- Jacqui

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Cheryl,

I wanted to let you know that I put a PM into Tracie (moderator, Drache613), in hopes she might see something I haven't, or offer something completely new, as the experienced and wise tend to do around here. :)

The best,
Em

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like you have gotten great help on here. Thanks Em! Super job. :D
I really don't think that anything has been missed from what I see.
Was he on sand when you got him? If so it is possible he could have a slight impaction still present. How have his stools been since you brought him home? Have you noticed any sand in the stools?
Is he/she getting ready to shed that you can tell? Alot of times that will greatly reduce their appetite.
The lighting is phenomenal & the temps sound fine to me. You said that he basks quite readily then, with no hesitation?
You could try the Reptaid. You could also try jumpstart, which is a molasses based appetite stimulant that is pretty effective. Or, you could try some bee pollen, royal jelly & brewer's yeast mixed up together with some water or apple juice to help with the appetite.
Also I noticed that your crickets are getting plenty of fluids, but they do need some dry food/gutload as well. Such as chicken laying mash, or cricket food that you can buy prepackaged at the petstores or online. You can make your own out of oatmeal, brewer's yeast, oat bran, dried nonfat milk, & dry baby cereal. It is a little expensive, but whichever is easiest. They need to always have food & water available to them, as crickets are very carnivorous.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

CEHSTJ

Original Poster
Sorry guys,

Wow, time flew by this weekend! I hope that you all had a Happy Easter. Thanks Em for asking for Tracie's assistance. Also, thank you Jacqui and Em for checking up on Smaug. I hope that all of your dragon's are happy and health (or on the mend)!

Tracie: thanks for the advice about the bee pollen and brewer's yeast to stimulate appetite. We have ordered Reptaid and hope it will be here this week. Also, we do gut load our crickets with the powder dust load food for crickets, and fresh fruit and veggies also, with the gut load water stuff (forget the name), but it is little blue, jelly-like balls.

Well, Smaug has eaten these past two days. Yesterday he ate two mouthfuls of greens and two dragon bites (the pink moist ones cut into two pieces). He also ate one wax worm and 8 crickets. That seemed to be a better day. Today he ate 8 crickets, but had no interest in anything else. I gave him water by dripping water just to the side of his mouth and he drank what seem like a lot of water - both days.

I do have another concern though. He has been acting like a bit of a spoiled prince lately, LOL! It seems that he will only go hunting for crickets if I first feed him one or two while he is sitting in my hand! Personally, I think he enjoys when I get cricket guts all over my arm as he squishes them in his jaw! Yuck! What should I do about this? Should I continue as long as he is eating? Especially since he doesn't eat much?

Other than his eating problem he seems to be thriving. He is very friendly and isn't scared when we get him out of his vivarium. He watches us, but never moves away when we place our hand in. If I place him on a fleece blanket at night time he will just squiggle his body and get comfortable and will fall asleep. I take him downstairs into the living room and he just sleeps on me for hours at a time. I place a warm water bottle under the blanket just to keep him a bit warm, not too hot. He has bowel movements everyday and they appear normal (not too sure as this is our first dragon). From reading other posts it sounds like his are normal. Urates are normal as well.

Oh yeah, Tracie you mentioned perhaps he was about to shed. He shed last week completely in two days and he used my fingers to rub his head on and get rid of the skin from his head. Our boys collected the large pieces to bring to school in a ziplock bag. Smaugs' colour faded some before he actually shed, but his personality did not change that we were aware of.

I really appreciate all of the advice and just knowing that someone can at least listen to my concerns is a relief. I hope that something will stimulate Smaug's appetite! How often do they shed as a baby or juvenile? We have had him for one month and one day and he has shed once. He did have the wrong environment at the pet store (he was on wood shavings - that's another question you had asked Tracie). They also did not have a proper UVB light. He was housed with his clutchmates (all seven of them) and he was the only survivor. :cry: We did have the wrong set up at first, but the second day we (thought) that everything was right. I just learned (from Em) that when using the Mega-Ray that D3 is not required in the calcium. We did replace it and hopefully now everything is alright. I should be off for now and will keep updated Smaug's progress. Also I will post some pictures tomorrow. (for real this time)

Thanks!

Cheryl

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Cheryl,

Good to *hear* from you. :) Thank you for the update on Smaug. Sounds like he's had some "up with eating" days, which is nice to see. Perhaps the Reptaid will help as well. As for how often they shed, it varies. I'm not a good judge myself, as Cloudy was under a compact to begin with so her progress has been slow. She's been under her MVB for about 6 weeks now, and has done a full body shed (in order: legs, torso, head, tail), the total of which took a good 2 1/2 weeks or so. Early last week, she shed her legs again, and now her torso has gone faded so I think we're back in the shedding "rotation" as it were.

I do know that the "spoiled prince" syndrome does exist, and I'll tell you from the description you gave, that Smaug sounds as if he's living on so much love, who needs to eat?! :wink: What a dearie! Terribly sad that among 8 clutch mates, he was the only survivor. That's quite stunning actually, and not in a good way of course. *sigh* I know at least one of Cloudy's clutch mates didn't make it, and I do wonder about the others. The pet store where we got her doesn't carry a single worthy UVB bulb/tube.

I hope Smaug continues to get eating. Shedding can certainly sap the appetite, and given his circumstances at the pet store, I do wonder if it's just a matter of time before he feeling up and running (and eating tons).

Please keep us posted!

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Cheryl,

How is Smaug doing? Hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow.

Please keep us posted.

The best,
Em

CEHSTJ

Original Poster
Hello!

This will be my second attempt at updating Smaug's condition. I somehow erased the first one and didn't have it saved! Grrrr! :x So, Smaug went to the vet's today. The vet said that his physical appearance was great and that he was well hydrated and alert. His eyes were good also. He did say that Smaug was on the small side (hopefully due to the poor lighting at the pet store and the mealworms he was fed there). Smaug is 6.2 inches from snout to tail and weighs ... hmmm.... I forget how much he weighs (bad grandmother - I was informed by my 8 yr. old son that he was the father and I was the "Granny")! I dropped off a fecal sample yesterday and it came back clear (I'm not sure if there are other results that might take longer - I should ask when I call to find out his weight). Smaug had good behaviour at the vets' today and did not black beard (I have yet to see this behaviour from him), and his belly only had light stress marks on it. I think my two "human" boys had a talk to him first. They are great at appointments (if only they were like that more often at home - but then life wouldn't be as exciting).

I am still concerned about Smaugs' appetite though. The vet said that he may just be a slow starter and to give it a few months while tracking his progress. Smaug will not eat more than 11 crickets in one day. They are not pinhead crickets - they are small and are no larger than the space between his eyes. I dust them five times a week (at one feeding daily) with calcium WITHOUT D3 and two times a week with herptivite (at one feeding daily). We have Reptaid on order and expect it this week sometime. I have also started baby food again mixed with apple juice to make sure he is hydrated and gets more protein. I use mixed vegetables with chicken (stage one) watered down with apple juice and also baby food squash mixed with baby food chicken and apple juice. He appeared to love this and ate an entire plastic syringe full (5ml?). He only got a bit on his beard and belly! It was off to bath time after eating to get all of the baby food off. I placed him in our bathtub today as he is always trying to escape from the rubbermaid container. He stood on the facecloth that lined the bottom and splashed around while looking at me as if to say "woohoo - this is so much fun"! He is quite the character (as I'm sure all beardies are).

If anyone has any other ideas that worked for their baby dragons I would love to hear any suggestions! Thank you Em, Jacqui and Tracie for the continued assistance and I hope that all of your dragons and other family members are well or on the road to health and happiness!

Take care!

Cheryl

P.S. I will pick up bee pollen and the other two supplies this weekend. My older son has been home with a stomach virus for the past two days and it seems as though he decided to share with his brother! Brotherly love! :? Did I mention that I would definitely pick up Smaugs' fecal matter anyday rather than what my sons' are expelling!

neecie

Juvie Member
I've read really good results from Reptaid.......it could be worth trying (and inexpensive) also good to keep for any time in the future.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Cheryl,

Great to hear from you. Thank you for sharing Smaug's vet visit. Sounds like it went really well, all things considered. :)

CEHSTJ":2526c said:
This will be my second attempt at updating Smaug's condition. I somehow erased the first one and didn't have it saved! Grrrr!

It drives me mad when I do this. :roll:

So, Smaug went to the vet's today. The vet said that his physical appearance was great and that he was well hydrated and alert. His eyes were good also. He did say that Smaug was on the small side (hopefully due to the poor lighting at the pet store and the mealworms he was fed there). Smaug is 6.2 inches from snout to tail

Well, this sounds just great. And I think you're probably right on why he's a tad small (but not "too" I'd say).

(bad grandmother - I was informed by my 8 yr. old son that he was the father and I was the "Granny")!

Yes, my 8 year old son and I have a similar arrangement. From one dragon granny to another. :wink:

I dropped off a fecal sample yesterday and it came back clear

Good news!

I am still concerned about Smaugs' appetite though. The vet said that he may just be a slow starter and to give it a few months while tracking his progress.

You know, from what you shared of his pet store enclosure, I do wonder if it will just simply take some time for Smaug's appetite to increase. He was housed with a clutch, yes? I've seen the way our pet store feeds, and I'm rather certain that in a situation like this, there are clutch mates who eat ok, and other who do not. Could is be that Smaug is simply used to eating very little I wonder? I have also read of dragons who are light eaters, but like you, I would also be concerned from a growth and health standpoint. It's good that he enjoys the baby food mixture, and I've heard this to be true of lots of dragons so it's something at least, for now. Perhaps the Reptaid will be helpful. I'd be interested to know how that works out for you. I was a step away from trying it myself, but then Cloudy finally perked up and started eating more (well, in an incremental sense).

If anyone has any other ideas that worked for their baby dragons I would love to hear any suggestions!

I will keep my eyes and ears peeled, and let you know of anything I come across.

Thank you Em, Jacqui and Tracie for the continued assistance and I hope that all of your dragons and other family members are we

You are most welcome. And do keep us posted! :)

P.S. I will pick up bee pollen and the other two supplies this weekend. My older son has been home with a stomach virus for the past two days and it seems as though he decided to share with his brother! Brotherly love! :? Did I mention that I would definitely pick up Smaugs' fecal matter anyday rather than what my sons' are expelling!

Ah yeah, hear ya. Although, a week ago my son woke up with one of those midnight stomach aches that lasted all night long... he was never able to throw up, and at around 3am, with both of us--each with our own set of woes by now--sitting on the bathroom floor, I was practically begging him to puke, because at least maybe then afterward, we could get some sleep! :oops:

The best,
Em

CEHSTJ

Original Poster
:blob5: HOORAY!!!!!!!! :blob8:

On Thursday afternoon I started to give Smaug Reptaid. So, Smaug has received Reptaid Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday! He, after having Reptaid, was showing more apparent progress on Monday. Smaug ate 22 crickets!!!!! A small victory, but a step forward!!!

When I cleaned the tank on Saturday I unblocked a bit more space in his vivarium and purchased a hide (half cut log). I also created a beardie beanie bag which Smaug adores (thank you to all who posted this idea)! At first when I placed him back in his tank he had many stress marks on his belly and it looked like he black bearded (only a small black line across his beard, first time ever seen) my husband as he tried to place Smaug in his new hide. It could be my husband he was bearding or the new hide. It was cute anyhow! The beanie bag (heated for 27 seconds in our microwave) is a place of heaven for Smaug. I heat it right before lights out and pick him up to place him on it. He climbs on and sprawls his legs and arms straight out, gives a little body wiggle then he turns his head and gives me the "goodnight" look (it could be interpreted as the "leave me alone" look). I sometimes keep him in the living room sleeping on the beanie that I place on my stomach. I like watching him for a bit while he sleeps.

I am so glad that he is increasing the amount he eats. I also fed him some greens by hand and some baby food (squash, mixed vegetables and chicken) by syringe. He eats about 10 ml of baby food and maybe four or five bits of greens. He does not like fruit as of yet. Maybe his favourite is still out there.

Thanks for the info EM! I hope all is well with you and the rest of your family (beardy(ies) and all! (sorry I'm not sure of all of your pets)

Jacqui - I know that not all dragons will respond the same to Reptaid, but it might be worth the try, especially if it works!

Tracie - I was wondering how long it would be ok to feed Smaug baby food. I don't want to make him become dependant on me this way. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cheryl

P.S. Smaug now has two normal bowel movements per day and for the past four days he has been doing his business in a swallow dish (one of the similated rock types) that I place only a few drops of water in. He has baths from twenty minutes to thirty minutes with no surprises left by him in the water. At least he is picking the same spot - yeah, I know this won't last!

Cheryl

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
It's so good to *hear* from you (we posted simultaneously on another thread, and I was hoping you have time to post an update on Smaug!)

On Thursday afternoon I started to give Smaug Reptaid. So, Smaug has received Reptaid Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday! He, after having Reptaid, was showing more apparent progress on Monday. Smaug ate 22 crickets!!!!! A small victory, but a step forward!!!

I'd say a pretty big victory, indeed! Wonderful news! :blob5:

He climbs on and sprawls his legs and arms straight out, gives a little body wiggle then he turns his head and gives me the "goodnight" look (it could be interpreted as the "leave me alone" look). I sometimes keep him in the living room sleeping on the beanie that I place on my stomach. I like watching him for a bit while he sleeps.

Oh, he is too precious! Dear thing. :love5:

I am so glad that he is increasing the amount he eats. I also fed him some greens by hand and some baby food (squash, mixed vegetables and chicken) by syringe. He eats about 10 ml of baby food and maybe four or five bits of greens. He does not like fruit as of yet. Maybe his favourite is still out there.

We're also looking for veggies Cloudy might eat... and fruit would be nice as well. My feeling is she is just very concentrated on growing right now, and can't be bothered. She's grown 3+ inches in the last 7-8 weeks. Maybe once she starts slowing down, she'll take some time out for vegetation?! :roll:

Thanks for the info EM! I hope all is well with you and the rest of your family (beardy(ies) and all! (sorry I'm not sure of all of your pets)

Thank you, Cheryl. Indeed, now that Cloudy the beardie is on her way, our two cats have decided to go into full on geriatric mode. *sigh* If it's not one thing, it's another. At least the humans in the household (DH, DS and myself) seem to be over the winter colds, and even enjoying a bit of sunshine in the past day or two (I keep reminding myself however that this is the pacific northwest and it's only April... don't get too excited... :roll: :wink: )

The best,
Em

My little guy/girl is only 5 and 1/4 inches and he/she is running around like crazy like its training for the olympics. so i dont think that your BD size is that small. All i give mine is crickets with the calcium dust and greens (although hes yet to eat any greens) i offer him some but he never eats them(greens). Im a novice my self on BD caretaking but I love my new little buddy :lol: I've had my BD for 2 weeks today! Ive done my homework to know what i need for him/her to live long, healthy, and happy. If Im not sure I'll post here and some one will tell me. Thats the good thing about this website. Every helps each other, we all relate by loving these beautiful animals, and treat them with love and as part of our family.

neecie

Juvie Member
Sorry to mention it here..............but those "Google" ads cover up the words on these posts. A PAIN!!!! can that be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom