Coccidia /Albon not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":26fkm2sx said:
traildrifterphalanx":26fkm2sx said:
Lol

It'll take a while to clear off all/most the coccidia, but I'm so glad she's feeling better.
Just use a pro biotic with it, monitor her, try and get her to eat on her own, have repti boost backup, and hopefully she'll start to grow in size

I bought a powder probiotic from beardeddragon.co. That's next. I got rid of all the dubias, again.

I have sprayed her enclosure with an ammonia based cleaner formulated for Coccidia. Says it kills it in two minutes. No need to rinse! <<<< I hope it actually works ....

I figure I have a couple of " I told you so's" coming.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":188co0vz said:
Why would an ammonia based product not work?

Best you can hope for is about 80% mortality rate of coccidia using Ammonia based product with contact times to 30mins , see p84 extract
effectiveness.png

SP: Sporulation
IA: Inhibitory Activity
defined as follows :
The efficacy of the tested disinfectants was evaluated by obtaining their Inhibitory Activity (IA %) (sporulation inhibition% of the oocysts) as follow: after at least 7 days of each experiment, the number of sporulated oocysts in each tube were counted using MacMaster slide to get the percentage of sporulation, this percentage was subtracted from sporulation % of the control tube to get inhibitory activity of the tested disinfectant.
IA = {(sporulation % of control - sporulation % of disinfected oocysts) × 100}/ sporulation % of control
from Samaha et. al. /Alexandria Journal of Veterinary Sciences 2013, 39: 82-90

Unfortunately this study didn't include F10sc @ 1:125 , F10sc @ 1:250 or steam @ 110oC or @ 120oC.

I think this would make a good masters degree research project for someone.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What's with the eye rolling ? Certainly you could get the gyst of that just like the rest of us ? :lol: No offense intended whatsoever, just a little humor for the morning wake up.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Surprisingly, I was able to use my phone and show a few examples of what her fecal looks like this morning. I simply held the phone's camera up to the microscope. They are not perfect.

This is coccidia and pinworm egg at 1000x

93275-1034964570.jpg

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pinworm egg at 1000x

There is also coccidia in this one but it is out of focus. It does not all focus at the same time, it's at different depths in the solution.

I wish I had known that i could do this. I could have posted some photos when it was full of it. The "Vet" says that I will always see some.

93275-3730455088.jpg

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is coccidia at 400x

When the coccidia was bad there were hundreds of those circles in the pics.

93275-6844025496.jpg

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She does not seem to be as energetic this morning and only ate 2 wax worms.

She gets her third dose of Baycox today. The schedule says to give 3 doses and wait a week and give one more.

We are trying to stay positive but if the Baycox does not work, I feel it will be time to have her put down.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Based on the photo I saw of her, she didn't look anywhere near being ready to be put down. Meds take a while, and a good pro biotic is very necessary to help restore what the meds destroy, otherwise they don't act right.

I'm again no medical professional by any means so I can't say whether those floats are normal, bad, or great, but remember coccidia and pin worms in small numbers are fine.

I do hope the meds help her, and if they don't, I would still really evaluate her before making any harsh decisions.
I'd honestly rather take her from you than see her be put down

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's probably premature for me to talk about euthanasia but she looked so good yesterday and today she appears to be declining again. Its frustrating.

50.3 grams this morning.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It can be very frustrating, but that's likely the new medicine messing with her gut. She's still willing to eat, even if she is eating less. I also would not fret the minor weight loss. A single poo can be grams worth.

I made a pledge to Richter, my male, that the day he declines a super worm, his favorite, favorite food, is the day I would be worried. While he was being medicated for coccidia, he turned his head and closed his eyes at a super. I cried.
I immediately ordered the reptiphilus that day, and the day after having some, he started accepting food again, but in the meanwhile he went days without eating as it shipped

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":iyzbbz0z said:
She does not seem to be as energetic this morning and only ate 2 wax worms.

She gets her third dose of Baycox today. The schedule says to give 3 doses and wait a week and give one more.

We are trying to stay positive but if the Baycox does not work, I feel it will be time to have her put down.

Jeez mate !!

.....you really need to learn to cultivate a bit of patience when trying to rehabilitate a sick reptile, it takes a long time for them to respond and show marked improvements.

This is only early days in the treatment to eradicate coccidian and you are starting with a three pronged treatment way behind the 8 ball (because you had a incompetent vet and were given poor advise) so she was on a poor treatment regime allowing her guts to overrun with the parasite and you need make allowances for this .
Allow her at least month or two to show some improvement as the life cycle is about a month and the meds are usually targeted at specific stages in the parasite's lifecycle and totally ineffective outside this time window.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Patience? I've been dealing with this since the first of June.

After 3 months , there is a very distinct pattern that has developed in fighting this. I don't want to be negative but we'll see what tomorrows fecal looks like.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":hz3jpmx0 said:
Based on the photo I saw of her, she didn't look anywhere near being ready to be put down. Meds take a while, and a good pro biotic is very necessary to help restore what the meds destroy, otherwise they don't act right.

I'm again no medical professional by any means so I can't say whether those floats are normal, bad, or great, but remember coccidia and pin worms in small numbers are fine.

I do hope the meds help her, and if they don't, I would still really evaluate her before making any harsh decisions.
I'd honestly rather take her from you than see her be put down

You would risk getting your girl sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom