clipping nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasinda

Deja nails are starting to become sharp. Please explain to me what I should use. And is there a trick to clipping the nails? How far do I cut down. Is there a certain nail clipper that I use?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I use regular nail clippers and only take the pointy end off. Or I wait until they have been playing outside in the garden and get dirty nails, you can see where the dirty part is and safe to cut it off. It isn't much, thats why I usually stick to the little pointy part.

chillinspike

Hatchling Member
Ive herd that the best way to keep them short is by keeping a rock in their enclosure, when they crawl and it and such it trims them a bit, thats just what ive herd

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,

Yes, you can clip their nails, but only the black part. The clear portion of the nail will bleed and is hard to stop if you cut it. Regular human nail clippers should work fine.

Also, you can replace their substrate with ceramic tile. This way, it will naturally file down the beardie's claws. As mentioned above, a rough basking rock would do the trick as well.

Believe me, I share your pain! Not nice looking like you own a feral cat, right?

-- Jacqui

FoodMonster

My juvenile dragons are needing a manicure too. They keep entangling themselves on anything cloth lately. They have 2 limestone rocks but I don't think basking is really wearing on their nails much. I used to have them on clay tile when they were little but they are on screened play sand now and they like sand much better for running around and digging (I like sand better too).

It seems like time to give them a clip but their little toes seem mighty tiny and numerous. Delrith is about a foot long and Reyna is a little longer. They have clear nails with a thin stripe all the way to the end and clear all the way to the end and I am not sure what to cut. My experience is with big dogs. I feel like I need a microscope.

threecupsofcoffee

Hatchling Member
you'll prob laugh but i've taken to filing spyro's nails it does just take the edge of the sharpness. My new rescue homer has extremely curly nails and need doing badly but i'm thinking the same technique will help him. Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom