Can I test for Atadenovirus at home or should I go to a vet?

Lelu01_

I took in a bearded dragon two months ago from a friend who couldn’t take care of her anymore. It was a last minute thing and I have reptile experience with snakes but not with bearded dragons although I am educating myself each and every day. My friend got her as a rescue as well so we both don’t know her history or how old she is. However, when given to my partner and I we noticed she wouldn’t eat anything for days, she came in a small 40 gallon enclosure with no proper bulb or heating. She looked dark and still does and really skinny. To top it all off she had something bulging out her eye. My usual exotic vet was out of town so I took her to another one close by although I decided I will be making my next visit to my usual vet as I don’t think the one I took her to doesn’t know much about beardie despite seeing some before. They ran blood work and said she’s lethargic, had low blood pressure and dehydrated. We were given oral baytril mixed with flagyl to give her for two weeks and come back as well as critical care. She did start moving on her own and started to eat some horn worms and just recently super worms. Hates veggies even with bee pollen. Eye doesn’t bulge anymore but three weeks ago it started getting teary eyed and she closes it a lot. Took her in a week ago and they gave me more of the same medication and ointment for her eye which I can’t for the life of me seem to get it on the eye it’s like I can get it on her waterline but she closes her eye ball really well. They want me to drop off any feces to test for parasites and Atadenovirus. I’m hesitant to go back as when we took her back they did an x ray because they thought she was bloated but I told them I heard they do that when nervous or when they’re in water so I didn’t think so but they did so anyways and came back saying when they put her on her side she deflated. I was still charged for it and they claimed they never seen that before. I do wanna mention I do soak her and I noticed it helps her eye and she’s about to shed. She also drinks no water not even when in the bowl, ever. She’ll get big in the water but closes her eyes and relax. They used the computer for everything and I get there’s times there’s probably special cases and they need references but it just seemed off to me that it was used the whole time. They’re more specialized in birds I should mention. I don’t know if I should have them test her or I should go to my usual vet for the testing but I will certainly take her to my usual vet for other things however I wanted to know if I can do a test at home. Also she’s still in the tank I plan on upgrading it when I get more money. She has a better bulb and now sun bathes often. I believe she got a 100W bulb from Zoo Med and it’s much warmer now in her tank.

Attachments

• 0CE63F43-5A46-4286-AC91-6AEE91931F83.jpeg
    0CE63F43-5A46-4286-AC91-6AEE91931F83.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 212
  • FE2C7558-1B4C-4AF7-8C27-8CB43C84C5AE.jpeg
    FE2C7558-1B4C-4AF7-8C27-8CB43C84C5AE.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 8982D828-D2E0-403F-BEE2-361300E240EB.jpeg
    8982D828-D2E0-403F-BEE2-361300E240EB.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I took in a bearded dragon two months ago from a friend who couldn’t take care of her anymore. It was a last minute thing and I have reptile experience with snakes but not with bearded dragons although I am educating myself each and every day. My friend got her as a rescue as well so we both don’t know her history or how old she is. However, when given to my partner and I we noticed she wouldn’t eat anything for days, she came in a small 40 gallon enclosure with no proper bulb or heating. She looked dark and still does and really skinny. To top it all off she had something bulging out her eye. My usual exotic vet was out of town so I took her to another one close by although I decided I will be making my next visit to my usual vet as I don’t think the one I took her to doesn’t know much about beardie despite seeing some before. They ran blood work and said she’s lethargic, had low blood pressure and dehydrated. We were given oral baytril mixed with flagyl to give her for two weeks and come back as well as critical care. She did start moving on her own and started to eat some horn worms and just recently super worms. Hates veggies even with bee pollen. Eye doesn’t bulge anymore but three weeks ago it started getting teary eyed and she closes it a lot. Took her in a week ago and they gave me more of the same medication and ointment for her eye which I can’t for the life of me seem to get it on the eye it’s like I can get it on her waterline but she closes her eye ball really well. They want me to drop off any feces to test for parasites and Atadenovirus. I’m hesitant to go back as when we took her back they did an x ray because they thought she was bloated but I told them I heard they do that when nervous or when they’re in water so I didn’t think so but they did so anyways and came back saying when they put her on her side she deflated. I was still charged for it and they claimed they never seen that before. I do wanna mention I do soak her and I noticed it helps her eye and she’s about to shed. She also drinks no water not even when in the bowl, ever. She’ll get big in the water but closes her eyes and relax. They used the computer for everything and I get there’s times there’s probably special cases and they need references but it just seemed off to me that it was used the whole time. They’re more specialized in birds I should mention. I don’t know if I should have them test her or I should go to my usual vet for the testing but I will certainly take her to my usual vet for other things however I wanted to know if I can do a test at home. Also she’s still in the tank I plan on upgrading it when I get more money. She has a better bulb and now sun bathes often. I believe she got a 100W bulb from Zoo Med and it’s much warmer now in her tank.
This is a question for Tracie the vet tech on here -- she can help you
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
There is a fews things right off the bat. The uvb you are using is no good, they need a long tube uvb to get adequate uvb. I personally recommend the Arcadia pro t5 12% desert. A lot of folks use the zoomed, but i have had trouble with them.
As far as hydration, try using an eyedropper to drip water on her snout. Use plastic they can bite hard enough to break the glass ones. If she still won't drink you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down her chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in her scales.
Her basking should be 95 to 100 degrees. It really needs to be measured with digital probe thermometers. You can pick them up at petsmart for about 10 bucks. They are the most accurate way to take the temps.
Tracie (@Drache613 that @KarrieRee) mentioned sales kits to test for adv one her site, very inexpensive compared to a vet visit.
The uvb and basking temps are critical to their health, if you don't get those on point asap she will not thrive, and worse without the right uvb they can't absorb calcium and will develop metabolic bone disease. They suffer really bad if that happens, and it don't take long for it to start.
I'm not trying to pick on you or be judgmental in any way, i just want you and your beardie to have the best life together 🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree please get rid of the coil I can post websites for them and please get a solid clear bright white basking bulb the yellowish are not adequate- examples are exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen or flukers basking -

Lelu01_

Original Poster
There is a fews things right off the bat. The uvb you are using is no good, they need a long tube uvb to get adequate uvb. I personally recommend the Arcadia pro t5 12% desert. A lot of folks use the zoomed, but i have had trouble with them.
As far as hydration, try using an eyedropper to drip water on her snout. Use plastic they can bite hard enough to break the glass ones. If she still won't drink you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down her chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in her scales.
Her basking should be 95 to 100 degrees. It really needs to be measured with digital probe thermometers. You can pick them up at petsmart for about 10 bucks. They are the most accurate way to take the temps.
Tracie (@Drache613 that @KarrieRee) mentioned sales kits to test for adv one her site, very inexpensive compared to a vet visit.
The uvb and basking temps are critical to their health, if you don't get those on point asap she will not thrive, and worse without the right uvb they can't absorb calcium and will develop metabolic bone disease. They suffer really bad if that happens, and it don't take long for it to start.
I'm not trying to pick on you or be judgmental in any way, i just want you and your beardie to have the best life together 🙂
It’s okay like I said I’m here to learn and I will make sure to get her a proper bulb setup. Thank you for the help so far!

Lelu01_

Original Poster
I agree please get rid of the coil I can post websites for them and please get a solid clear bright white basking bulb the yellowish are not adequate- examples are exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen or flukers basking -
Oh yes that would be great thank you! We got the ZooMed originally because some posts I read on Reddit recommended it but imma be cautious with what I read for now on

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh yes that would be great thank you! We got the ZooMed originally because some posts I read on Reddit recommended it but imma be cautious with what I read for now on
Zoo med? Fixture? I can post 3 good uvbs in the morning for you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you are wanting to test for Adeno, you can sign up on my website at:

www.thepats.info

I don't do the testing but get you setup with the supplies & form & will get it to the lab for you
as well. It is an easy at home test using a swab & is $21.
Have you decided on which UVB light you are going to use?

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hello,

If you are wanting to test for Adeno, you can sign up on my website at:

www.thepats.info

I don't do the testing but get you setup with the supplies & form & will get it to the lab for you
as well. It is an easy at home test using a swab & is $21.
Have you decided on which UVB light you are going to use?

Tracie
Hi! I plan on using the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO (high output) lamp bulb from what was recommended on this site along with the exo terra basking bulb. Will be ordering right away along with digital probe thermometer’s.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi! I plan on using the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO (high output) lamp bulb from what was recommended on this site along with the exo terra basking bulb. Will be ordering right away along with digital probe thermometer’s.
Here are the websites for UVB's
24" fixtures for a 40 + gallon tanks
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this bulb please
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one can be found at PetSmart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you need the 2 ft or 24" and you will to need to change out the bulb to the Reptisun posted above https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
these are all good fixtures --- placement and distance is going to be determined by the screen on your tank - please post when you get the UVB

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks, I did get your email/request. I got an email sent back to you, friday evening.
How is your rescue doing?
Great, the Zoomed Reptisun 10 T5 tube is terrific, your girl will love it!

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks, I did get your email/request. I got an email sent back to you, friday evening.
How is your rescue doing?
Great, the Zoomed Reptisun 10 T5 tube is terrific, your girl will love it!

Tracie
Hi Tracie!

Just replied to your email. Also the lights and hood came in. I will post a photo once everything is set up

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Tracie!

Just replied to your email. Also the lights and hood came in. I will post a photo once everything is set up
Depending on your screen will determine where the UVB needs to go ---- fine mesh inside the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- wide hole type 8-10 inches

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom