Can i feed super worms now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
You can feed him as much as he wants within around 5-15 minutes twice a day. After he's a year old go down to once a day till he's around 20 months old then you will want to taper off to eventually 2-3x week.
You will want to dust one of those insect meals each day, 5 days a week. The other 2 days will be vitamins.

Once he's around 20 months you can go to calcium 3x week and vitamins 1x week.
Always offer salads every day whether he eats them or not. He should eat around 80% insects and 20% veggies. Once he gets close to 2yrs that ratio is flipped. Mine don't like to follow the rules but we're working on it. So try to encourage them to eat a little salad before you give insects.

Crickets, bsfl and dubia roaches are all recommended as a staple.
Dubia roaches are not the invasive cockroaches your mother is probably thinking of. They don't stink and make noise like crickets and are actually considered better than crickets because they have more protein. But it's always good to rotate them around. You can include some superwoms once in a while but would avoid making them a staple if you can.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kyleena29":3sp39sf5 said:
You can feed him as much as he wants within around 5-15 minutes twice a day. After he's a year old go down to once a day till he's around 20 months old then you will want to taper off to eventually 2-3x week.
You will want to dust one of those insect meals each day, 5 days a week. The other 2 days will be vitamins.

Once he's around 20 months you can go to calcium 3x week and vitamins 1x week.
Always offer salads every day whether he eats them or not. He should eat around 80% insects and 20% veggies. Once he gets close to 2yrs that ratio is flipped. Mine don't like to follow the rules but we're working on it. So try to encourage them to eat a little salad before you give insects.

Crickets, bsfl and dubia roaches are all recommended as a staple.
Dubia roaches are not the invasive cockroaches your mother is probably thinking of. They don't stink and make noise like crickets and are actually considered better than crickets because they have more protein. But it's always good to rotate them around. You can include some superwoms once in a while but would avoid making them a staple if you can.
Is 18 inches at 9 months the right size? When he was younger i fed him once a day but around 30-40 crickets in that feeding I’m worried i could have stunted his growth

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
He sounds like he's fine for his age. Some are bigger or smaller at his age. He still has plenty of time to catch up if he would of grown more. I wouldn't worry about it right now just make the corrections now and he'll be fine. Just make sure his uvb isn't expired. Not sure what you are using now.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kyleena29":1ohhz1q4 said:
He sounds like he's fine for his age. Some are bigger or smaller at his age. He still has plenty of time to catch up if he would of grown more. I wouldn't worry about it right now just make the corrections now and he'll be fine. Just make sure his uvb isn't expired. Not sure what you are using now.
I’m using a 10.0 uvb i got it in April so I’ll replace it probably around October

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Could i feed dubias and superworms as a staple they are easier for me to get than other feeders. He will eat anything i put in front of him so I’m not worried about him getting addicted could i feed him like 10-15 roaches in the morning and like 10 superworms with his veggies?

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
98274-9024290754.jpg
Also today buddy pooped out what appears to be the head of a Superworm anyone know why? His basking area is about 95-97

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would probably bump that up a little bit more but keep it under 105. Unless he has a lot of undigested pieces I wouldn't worry too much.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kyleena29":1r3tv5j6 said:
I would probably bump that up a little bit more but keep it under 105. Unless he has a lot of undigested pieces I wouldn't worry too much.
I moved his hammock up a little bit i just don’t want to move it to close to where he can try to escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom