Can a beardie co-exist with a another reptile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Mmmm, I would say probably not. I think that if the beardie didn't recognize the other reptile as prey, they'd probably recognize it as a territorial threat. Overall I can't see it being feasible. It's a cool idea though!

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
I'm going to just tell you flat out no. Beardies hardly ever get along with their own species, I can't see taking the risk of either animal to try it. In my own opinion it just seems dangerous.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Different species of reptiles have different needs that need to be met, temps, humidity, etc so the answer would have to be NO.

NavyxWife

Hatchling Member
Definitely not... If you can't stick another beardie in with it's own kind without there being a risk then putting something else in there would just be dangerous to both animals.

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
_comment removed by admin and edited by me- :) sorry bout that i didnt know videos like that werent allowed anyways Its a really bad idea to host a bearded dragon with other lizzards even ones of same size becuase your other pet might be eatin. Thier are videos on youtube which prove this point. :) Do your reasearch before consitering dangrous acts such as houseing to different speices together :). Best of luck to you.

NavyxWife

Hatchling Member
I've seen that before. Eh, it's just the way of life & he just happened to be at the bottom of the food chain. I personally would never feed my dragon a live lizard, mouse maybe because I watch them die every week due to my snake. I almost cried the first time I fed my snake... but just got over it because he needs the mice to survive.

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
articwolfgirl":2a898c2c said:
Now for all you that have a heart DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO It is for the strong stomached I cried watching this THIS is what happens when a person "feeds" thier dragon/dragons a anole gecko..... It was still alive >> They say its a natrual food sorce >> they say the same thing about pinkies But you wont ever see me feeding my dragon a live animal unless its an insect.

The problem with beardies is they see other small things instictively as food >> mine tried to eat a baby beardie through glass the other day. Brought him to the pet store and he kept scratching the glass and biting at it.

AGAIN the following link is not for the weak hearted
Links to "shock videos" are not allowed on this forum so link was removed by a moderator. You can read more about that particular site policy here. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=51296#p393167

Awe, poor anole. I just can't feed off anything that can be kept as a pet. I had to get rid of one of my snakes that I loved because he refused to eat frozen mice. I even had a hard time with the frozen ones. I don't have snakes anymore which is a shame because I really like them. Just can't do the whole mouse thing.

To the OP, even though different species all live together in the wild, keeping them together in captivity is risky at best. I think you'd find yourself with one less lizard eventually you know?

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Paperdaisies":zhj1l65r said:
articwolfgirl":zhj1l65r said:
Now for all you that have a heart DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO It is for the strong stomached I cried watching this THIS is what happens when a person "feeds" thier dragon/dragons a anole gecko..... It was still alive >> They say its a natrual food sorce >> they say the same thing about pinkies But you wont ever see me feeding my dragon a live animal unless its an insect.

The problem with beardies is they see other small things instictively as food >> mine tried to eat a baby beardie through glass the other day. Brought him to the pet store and he kept scratching the glass and biting at it.

Links to "shock videos" are not allowed on this forum so link was removed by a moderator. You can read more about that particular site policy here. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=51296#p393167

Awe, poor anole. I just can't feed off anything that can be kept as a pet. I had to get rid of one of my snakes that I loved because he refused to eat frozen mice. I even had a hard time with the frozen ones. I don't have snakes anymore which is a shame because I really like them. Just can't do the whole mouse thing.

To the OP, even though different species all live together in the wild, keeping them together in captivity is risky at best. I think you'd find yourself with one less lizard eventually you know?

I find it kind of a double standard we live by in the "civilized" countries. I think that it's extremely sad that somebody would feed an anole to a beardie, but by the same token, are we not doing the same thing when we feed our dubias or crickets? They, in effect, have the same will to live as did that anole. I'm not saying that what I think that video shows is right, it is quite disgusting in my opinion, but I do seem to see that we only associate pain and sadness with organisms we can relate to more.
I live on a farm where we slaughter our own meat, and I look into the eyes of the animals that will, in due course, be my food. But you know what? I can live with myself as a meat-eater because I know exactly how that animal lived before it was butchered. The same can't be said for out high-production facilities that supply America's meat markets. I think this attitude allows me to understand what is "just" in life and death, and how to come to terms with ending a life. I can't help but feel a little sorry for every insect my beardie consumes, but I also understand that it is a necessary part in having a pet.

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
jeserah":2jxdwnxf said:
Paperdaisies":2jxdwnxf said:
articwolfgirl":2jxdwnxf said:

I find it kind of a double standard we live by in the "civilized" countries. I think that it's extremely sad that somebody would feed an anole to a beardie, but by the same token, are we not doing the same thing when we feed our dubias or crickets? They, in effect, have the same will to live as did that anole. I'm not saying that what I think that video shows is right, it is quite disgusting in my opinion, but I do seem to see that we only associate pain and sadness with organisms we can relate to more.
I live on a farm where we slaughter our own meat, and I look into the eyes of the animals that will, in due course, be my food. But you know what? I can live with myself as a meat-eater because I know exactly how that animal lived before it was butchered. The same can't be said for out high-production facilities that supply America's meat markets. I think this attitude allows me to understand what is "just" in life and death, and how to come to terms with ending a life. I can't help but feel a little sorry for every insect my beardie consumes, but I also understand that it is a necessary part in having a pet.

You're right. But for some reason I don't feel bad for the bugs. I know I probably should but they just seem different to me. :oops:

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I have no problem with feeders. I've had rats that I loved dearly, I still wouldn't have a problem feeding rats to snakes. That is the cycle of life. But there's difference between that and putting 1 or more living beings in a situation that could seriously hurt or kill each other. That might happen in the wild, but this is not the wild and they're not wild animals. it might be in their instinct for a dragon to eat another lizard, but that is not a food source for them. it could potentially kill them, they are insectivorous not carnivores. It's also part of a dog's instinct to hunt and scavenge food where ever it can, that doesn't mean you should let it eat rotting meat out of the garbage.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
ziggy23":2qpcrrvn said:
I have no problem with feeders. I've had rats that I loved dearly, I still wouldn't have a problem feeding rats to snakes. That is the cycle of life. But there's difference between that and putting 1 or more living beings in a situation that could seriously hurt or kill each other. That might happen in the wild, but this is not the wild and they're not wild animals. it might be in their instinct for a dragon to eat another lizard, but that is not a food source for them. it could potentially kill them, they are insectivorous not carnivores. It's also part of a dog's instinct to hunt and scavenge food where ever it can, that doesn't mean you should let it eat rotting meat out of the garbage.

agreed.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
In response to some other posts, I think there is a difference between insects and vertebrates in terms of their experience as feeders. For instance, after my beardie misses a cricket, said cricket will happily crawl on top of my beardie's head and start chirping. I don't think this same level of dissociation is present in vertebrates. The more complex nervous system of vertebrates allows for more complex responses to stimuli, which may include prolonged distress after the failed predatory attack. However, I do also recognize that predation is a part of life. What I don't agree with is when people get a cheap thrill by watching one animal kill another (i.e., feeding an anole to a beardie and putting it on youtube).

Agree with Pog and Jes.

Eating to survive and eating for sport is what makes it wrong.The owner clearly was doing it for sport. Every animal has the ability to know when to run when needed. The anole was not given the chance to flee. So that's what made it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom