Brumation

Pete3

Beardie name(s)
Pete
I know beardies go into brumation around this time of the year, but I rescued Pete at the beginning of the year. I've never dealt with it before. I just want to know what to expect, and roughly how long he'll be in it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I know beardies go into brumation around this time of the year, but I rescued Pete at the beginning of the year. I've never dealt with it before. I just want to know what to expect, and roughly how long he'll be in it?
Do you know if he has brumated before? Please read
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
You dont want them sleeping more than 3 months for a full brumation
Some will semi brumate meaning they may sleep for a week or two come out and eat bask etc - this is what mine do they have never fully gone in to brumation - I recommend you get a weight on him weigh on kitchen food scale in grams - keep track offer water every 2-3 weeks - get a weight - they will or can lose some weight but if they are losing a ton of weight there is a issue- if you have more question please ask
What kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture and what are you surface basking temps how are you getting them?

Pete3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pete
Some will semi brumate meaning they may sleep for a week or two come out and eat bask etc - this is what mine do they have never fully gone in to brumation - I recommend you get a weight on him weigh on kitchen food scale in grams - keep track offer water every 2-3 weeks - get a weight - they will or can lose some weight but if they are losing a ton of weight there is a issue- if you have more question please ask
What kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture and what are you surface basking temps how are you getting them?
I have a tube fixture for UVB, and his basking temps are always around 98 degrees Fahrenheit. I use heat lamps for them, he has 2 basking spots in his cage.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a tube fixture for UVB, and his basking temps are always around 98 degrees Fahrenheit. I use heat lamps for them, he has 2 basking spots in his cage.
And your uvb is a brand and bulb-- placement and distance is determined by the screen on the tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I use arcadia, they just sit on top of his cage.
Ok so the bulb is a 24 watt T 5? If the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank - screens block approx 30% of the UVB rays which means hes not getting much UVB - if the screen is a wide hole type it can stay there but distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above your basking decor -- inside 12-15 inches - how old is the bulb? You want to change it out around 10-11 months

Pete3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pete
Ok so the bulb is a 24 watt T 5? If the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank - screens block approx 30% of the UVB rays which means hes not getting much UVB - if the screen is a wide hole type it can stay there but distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above your basking decor -- inside 12-15 inches - how old is the bulb? You want to change it out around 10-11 months
Its a 24 watt T5 yes. I put it on his tank in the middle of June, so its roughly 4 months old. His tank is a wide hole type but its more than 10 inches tall, I'll move it to the inside.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its a 24 watt T5 yes. I put it on his tank in the middle of June, so its roughly 4 months old. His tank is a wide hole type but its more than 10 inches tall, I'll move it to the inside.
You can use a piece of decor place directly under it 8-10 inches leaving it on top -- its up to you

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Just giving a heads up. The above recommended link is the one that warns of food left in the stomach and no bowel movement to clean out the contents of the stomach prior to brumation is dangerous. Also, the author recommends bathing and waking the dragon during brumation for baths. So, I am getting conflicting info here.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just giving a heads up. The above recommended link is the one that warns of food left in the stomach and no bowel movement to clean out the contents of the stomach prior to brumation is dangerous. Also, the author recommends bathing and waking the dragon during brumation for baths. So, I am getting conflicting info here.
Getting them out every 2-3 weeks offering water and getting a weight is recommended - if in a bath it will stimulate pooping

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I agree. Getting them out while brumating every few weeks is a good idea, just to check on
them. Most of us recommend scaling back the food slowly when they start slowing down for the
brumation phase to be sure they digest & pass it through.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That article has some truth and some misinformation in it. With no disrespect at all to the author I can point out some things. First of all when it says they dig down in the damp soil and draw up moisture through their vent [the butt ] , this is impossible and does not happen. They do not extract water from damp soil through their vent because it would require them to have a vacuum type body mechanism in their rectum.
As for food rotting in their gut, I've never had to try to get my dragons to poo before their 3 month brumation, in more than 25 years with multiple adult dragons brumating none has ever had a problem.
It's O.K to take them out every few weeks but I don't do with mine, they almost always sleep straight through every year.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Thank you. My husband and I are arguing over digital thermometer vs the thermometer gun. He swears the gun is more accurate. We have been setting up the vivarium with a thermostat.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom