Broly the new super saiyan beardie

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yes Im hoping for Miss Leona too.
Yes my name is Kami you got it right.

Hoping Tara did not run off without the kids! As mean as she is to Eric she's still the mother. Hes a great father at least he's there.

I don't bother with the shed anymore. All I know is it's yellow. Definitely just hangs there and mocks me LOL.
Broly has pulled on not ready shed on his chin and and has been a dark damaged scale. It healed up but still black. It doesn't hurt.

Aww the pic of Nathaniel and Gabriel my babies!! Hows the other babies? I hope Cierra doesnt have eggs. Im going to your thread to see Castiel's eye.

Nice to meet you SueAnn

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well he called earlier like 7pm. I have celiac disease. Gluten didn't affect the test in anyway as I stopped way before tests were issued. I had Tom buy gluten free foods. Cancers are ruled out still (yay!). Wind is really kicking up supposed to be hurricane force. We're in the basement we were able to bring the fish tanks and bug bins. So we have food, shelter and batteries also phones up to 100%. I gotta get going, power may go off as I feel the house shaking with every gust. Keep in mind nit an actual hurricane just hurricane force gusts. We're hoping we get through the night into morning with power but I highly doubt it. Still very very afraid of pitch black darkness but I'll manage.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad to hear they got a diagnosis and no cancer. The nice thing about knowing you have celiac disease is that there's something you can do about it. It may take a while for your digestive tract to heal up, but as long as you stay away from gluten (if I remember correctly, the main ones are wheat, barley, and rye), you should be able to recover and feel better in the long run.

I hope you can keep your water filters running for your aquatic critters through the storm. We get some wind storms here in Anchorage sometimes too, but luckily the electric utility seems to do a pretty good job sending out the emergency crews and repairing the power lines. The last time we had a major power outage from a wind storm was a few months before we got the bearded dragon, so we only had the snake, and luckily it was fairly early in the fall so it wasn't too cold yet. (The mayor once called it the "hurricane of 2012" but it wasn't really a full fledged hurricane.) The power was off most of the night, so when the temperature in the terrarium dropped into the mid 60s, I put him in his little travel container (so we wouldn't lose him in the dark) along with one of the temperature probes in radio contact with the main console -- all battery powered, and we just brought him to bed with us -- easy to keep reptiles warm with mammalian body heat during power outages. In the morning my husband and his boss went in to the office to try to make sure that the computers had shut down safely, but they only stayed for a few hours and then everyone got sent home until the storm was over and the power was back on. Meanwhile I stayed home and tried to figure out what to do in the meantime, after realizing that I was totally cut off from the outside world -- no phone, no internet, etc. It occurred to me that the snake might be thirsty so I put some water in a little shallow dish and dipped his nose in it and he took a drink, but right after that the power came back on, and internet came back later in the day, so overall not too bad -- our power was only off for about 7 hours. One of my sisters wasn't so lucky -- their power was off for almost 2 days but they managed -- they have a woodstove (and a turtle) so they were at least able to keep themselves and their reptile warm.

Your storm will hopefully be over by the time you get around to reading this, so I hope that you and Tom and all your critters made it through the night without too much trouble.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Power got cut off at 6:15a and turned back on 2:51p. It's about 8 hours cut off from the outside world..
We've had 16-18 hours before. It was sooo cold luckily the battery kept everything running. We got the UPS for the fish so Kingy and Gator dont freak out. Broly and Kane was fine with the comp battery. We had veggies and greens in a cooler for them as well our lunch meat. The geckos lived fine nobody got sick,stressed or ill from power outage this time. We were holding the leos as they get upset with storms. The blue tongue didn't care he just hid til the power was on. Tokay, gargoyle and BTS had the second battery. As for the humans we had hand warmers and big bulky blankets. Tom still did studying. Im doing my gluten free diet for celiac. We have a thunderstorm but no high winds. We set everyone back in the living room. Tree landed in a house across the way, power lines snapped and power poles rooted up. Everyone in the house across from us is ok nobody got hurt/killed. We have their dogs as they were in the house and they had work/school. If it weren't for us their dogs would be dead. They did thank us told them it wasnt necessary. They asked us to watch their dogs at our house while repairs would be going on at their house. It was a lovely adventure...not!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You, too, Sue Ann. We've all dealt with stubborn sheds. Coconut oil at night for a few nights will remove it without any issues, Kami, if it doesn't loosen on it's own. I've used it on Gabriel alot in the past, and it's always worked, got a few layers of stuck shed off quickly.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It finally came off this afternoon. It was just a single scale shed. No wonder it seemed small. It was on the edge of vent but it was actually on the tailbase. I have coconut oil so I will next time use that. I use it on Kane, his toes are problems. Oh well..we have four dogs now. Our two and the neighbors dogs. They are staying at a family members house. They're well behaved dogs. The pomeranian is so yappy and not friendly. She stays away from the lizards. The chocolate lab is more relaxed and very friendly. Watches the lizards, he's never seen reptiles as the family only had hamsters and dogs. They didn't have hamsters this time. I already have my own hamster and guinea pigs.

These dogs will not be alone with the reptiles.
We have wild geese that live in our field. They dont seem canadian. We let them hang around our yard so they already have nests (looks like years of work). I don't bother them or take our lizards out. We go out front where our dogs are not where geese are. I never noticed the nests. Oh well..lizards are not on the ground since we don't have a way with geese out back and dogs out front.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear that you and all your critters (as well as the neighbor's dogs) survived your "adventure", Kami. I thought about you on Friday evening when I was watching the national news and they were talking about how the west coast was expecting to get hammered by that storm all the way from Washington down to Northern California, with Oregon right in the middle. I'm glad you had batteries to keep everyone's "life support" going.

Thanks for the tip about coconut oil, Deb. We always have it around because I use it for cooking -- my husband especially likes it. But I had never thought of using it on stubborn sheds.

Never heard of an unfriendly pomeranian -- yappy, yes, but unfriendly is a new one on me. All the pomeranians I've ever been around have seemed super friendly. I guess there's always the odd one.

We get Canadian geese hanging around here in Anchorage in the summer. I haven't seen any yet this year myself, but they are due to return for the spring any day now if they haven't already. There are a number of parks with lakes and ponds where they like to hang out. When I see a goose or hear them honking, I know it's really spring. People often feed them bread, even though wildlife biologists advise against it, and they get pretty tame. I was once at a park, probably not too far away from a sign that said "Don't feed the geese", and a goose walked up to me and stood right in front of me looking up at me like, "Well? Aren't you going to feed me?" Good thing I didn't have any food with me or I probably would have yielded to the temptation to disobey the sign just like everyone else had apparently been doing. :roll:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Aw thanks for thinkin about us, SueAnn. That means a lot.
Oregon, as pretty as it is, always has terrible storms. We're always in the middle of everything. UPS really helped with our 150 tank (eel tank), 10 and 20 gal. We had comp battery for our beardies and geckos. I had two of them. I mostly slept through the storm till I heard CRASH!! I was like wtf is that? We go out and see a tree we're like omg the dogs!! Luckily they backed up enough.

The pomeranian is a j e r k. She's nice to us because we're feeding her. Took her a while to stop barking at us every time we got up. The lab is complete angel, he's very sweet. He sits with Tom in the room while he studies. I get the yapper. She's a real cuddler. Our dogs are definitely are ok with them. They do play.

Looking at my boy, Broly had muscles in his legs but have noticed he's more beefy. Thats interesting. Kane has muscles but not beefed up yet he's 9 months old. Kane is 19" and 489g. Broly hasnt been weighed yet. He feels heavy though. The only time Broly cuddles with me is when a storm comes. A bad one not just ordinary rain storms.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My father lived in Oregon (Salem) for the last 30+ years of his life, and I was able to visit him there several times. Beautiful place. :love10: I was never there during any of the really bad storms, but I did once visit right after one that had caused a lot of flooding ("That's a nice river." "It's supposed to be a street." :roll: )

We went for a walk around the neighborhood a few days after the big wind storm they had here in 2012, and saw a tree that had been uprooted out from under a small parking lot in front of some apartments -- blacktop and all. :shock: All but the stump had already been cut away and removed, but you could tell what had happened. I didn't know how tall the tree was, but by the size of the roots and the way it was laying, I wondered that it didn't seem to have damaged anything across the street when it fell. Wind can do some crazy things. We have a few tall trees on our property and we were lucky that none of them fell on the house. Good thing your dogs had enough sense to get out of the way.
Sounds like Broly has at least learned that you're safe if he wants to cuddle during a scary storm. :love5: And I guess some beardies go through a skinny stage before they "fill out" when they're growing, just like some teenage humans and other young animals do.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I was in Oregon since 2008. I remember the 2012 storm. We had no power for 16 hours. I had my older dragon then who passed away in 2014. Trees were on powerlines. Very cold outside so the house got just as cold. My nose and ears were so cold by the time it came back on. It would be nice to have a fireplace but my sister has asthma so we couldnt use it...remained off. Well we have a pellet stove now and it works better just no power means no heat...
It's a nice state to visit but coming from Las Vegas (I grew up there) I don't like being cold for long. Vegas is hot in summer..I do fly back to see my high school friends that still keep in touch even a high school boyfriend (ex now obviously). We're good friends hes changed a bit but not much hes still goofy. We joke around about how hes never getting a girlfriend..he hasn't found the right woman and hes 31. He does get jealous when his girl is hanging with another guy. I broke up with him over that in high school. He never acts on it hes just jealous hes not controlling or abusive. I've known my high school ex boyfriend since I was 8 and he was 9. He never knew it was me he was chasing in elementary school with my friend Christi (9 too). So we grew up with each other. I told him when I was in 9th grade that he chased me with Christi. He was surprised that I was the other girl running from him. I tried dating him in the middle of freshman year. I didnt like jealous...so yeah. But we're friends to this day very good friends like before dating.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I didn't realize it at the time, but I guess that storm went on down the west coast and gave everyone else a hard time after it got done with Alaska.

I came up here in 1995 -- my sisters and their families had been here since the 60s. Before that I lived in this weird place called Southern California (Los Angeles area) where it never snows, and I wasn't sure if I could handle the cold either, but I discovered that the Alaskan winters are overrated -- they're not as bad as people think, just as long as you stay indoors with the heat on. :wink: But if you have electric heat and the power goes out in the middle of the winter, than can be a problem. That's why lots of people have woodstoves or gasoline generators for backup. My husband wants to put in solar panels, and believe it or not, they work pretty well around here, especially in the summer.

I was also lucky enough to meet the love of my life here, and even luckier to be able to marry him in 1999. Almost 18 years now and he's still stuck with me. He's severely allergic to anything with fur, and that's how we ended up becoming reptile people. There was a guy in California that I dated for 17 years, and our relationship went from a friendship to a romance and back again several times over those years, but we managed to stay friends through it all. People said that we acted like an old married couple who had been together for years, but the wedding never happened. We haven't talked for years, and I don't know where he is or what he's doing nowadays, but I wish him well. Meanwhile, I plan to keep the one I've got if I can get away with it.

Back to the here and now -- time to turn on the heat lamps and get the beardie out of his "burrito" so he can soak up some UV. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

My geese (might as well say that) woke me up at 8am. They just wanted to venture out. I had to chase them to the backyard again to their nesting site. They keep wanting out...
Dogs are around here and will attack the geese. Our dogs are fond of them but other people's dogs however are not and will kill. We have a resident wolf that has a home nearby and see it every night. We don't bother it and nobody gets attacked. We fenced off the wolf's home from the geese. He'll probably try to get the geese but won't happen. I don't know if he knows theres birds living in the same yard. They won't fly away. They just honk all day and try getting out of my yard. There's 7 of them. They don't like us but live in our yard..yeah smart move geese. Im tired of chasing them back, with so many neighbors having dogs, they can't go wandering off.
Broly's weight is pretty good I only did it to see where hes sitting at. It's not lower (never could tell unless you weigh him). Kane is pretty good as well.
My other ex from 2008 lives in Los Angeles. I still talk to him more than my high school ex.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So today...got on lights but Broly stayed asleep for an extra 10 minutes. I'm not suspicious about it. I get my bath done first and water change fish tanks. I get Broly's bath around 11:30...he didnt like that one bit. 10 mins go by, dry him off even under beard, set him under lights. I offer food of course hes mad at bathtime being 11:30 instead of 10 like usual. He didnt touch anything! I was like alright...
So 2:30 comes by and sun is partially out today..still chilly. Set him there on the window, Kane other window. He stayed out till about 5..both dragons. Kane ate twice today, Broly only ate dinner. It seems Broly didnt like his schedule all messed up. Baths must be at 10 only!! When hes mad he will not eat or be very active. I learned that the hard way. He ate and will be done basking 7:10pm same with Kane only 5 minutes behind. Lights off at 11..(14 hours) so plenty of time to relax and bask. They however did hide when a lawn mower was outside (we were inside). From their hiding spots they were watching the person with the loud machine. Bright eyes and wide open watching...LOL. Broly is 487g. Kane 486g (he did a stool that was 3g).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They do tend to get a little bent out of shape if you mess with their comfortable little routines. :roll:

"Spring" is finally in progress here in the subarctic -- the "glaciers" in our backyard are retreating fast now.

Puff the "magic" (bearded) dragon and Squirmles the Amazing Solar Powered Snake (hyperactive and anorexic and not losing any weight but typical for spring) went to the vet today for checkups with a multi-pet discount. :) (every little bit helps but it was still pretty pricey). Puff has a suspected infection in the bones in his little pinkie finger, so we'll be doing antibiotics and see what happens. Squirmles got a clean bill of health -- anorexia and hyperactivity attributed to hormones, as usual for this time of year. Both of them seem none the worse for the experience.

Your guys sound like they're doing well -- aware enough of their surroundings to be concerned about noisy machines and changes to their normal routines. :wink:

My own normal routine is a little disrupted -- big Dr. Who marathon all this last week getting ready for the start of the new season. I hardly got anything done except during the commercials. :mrgreen:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I watched Fantastic Beasts movie. Set 70 years before Harry Potter. It was pretty good. I then watched Dr Who (new companion is well peppy I like her) and Class.

Broly had window time today. It was pretty sunny and 61 deg. Wind...still not the best temperature.

Hope everyone has a happy Easter.
I did play with guinea pigs and hamster...it's hard when she runs LOL.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom