Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Our beardie had pinworms (if I remember correctly) when we first got him but a couple of doses of medication cleared it up before it did him any harm -- I guess we were lucky. Some time later I rushed a poop sample to the vet because it had a bunch of little white things in it that looked like tiny grains of rice -- I was afraid he had parasites again, but it turned out to be cricket eggs :p

I got curious and googled blue tongued skinks and found out they're native to Australia, so if you've got them running around wild in Oregon, they probably got there by human intervention. It's interesting that they can survive there because I would suppose that the climate is quite a bit different from where they came from.

There are almost no native species of reptiles here in Alaska, except for a species of garter snake that sometimes comes up into the southern part of the panhandle -- they probably survive the winter by burrowing down below the frost line and hibernating. Otherwise, it's too cold for them most of the year.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I figured as much. Someone let him go he was obviously a pet. There's only one blue tongue and he's big. Whoever let him go did a good job feeding him. He's a sweet guy so I made a makeshift tank with bedding he can dig under with the right care. This evening I went to feed dinner to the geckos and saw bedding moving. I found him sleeping in there curled up. It was cute. I believe he wants to be ours. Im gonna go buy a real tank and let him settle there. Broly really doesn't like him. Our other beardie, Kane doesn't seem to notice the skink.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like the blue tongue is either going to adopt you or you're going to adopt him, whichever way you want to look at it :wink:
Maybe Broly is jealous -- best keep them separated so that nobody gets hurt. (Although if you can handle protecting lizards from hawks and owls, keeping them safe from each other ought to be a piece of cake :mrgreen: )

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It is a piece of cake. Beardies come out one at a time. They do get a bath together in their own plastic tubs. Our tokay and gargoyle gecko get out together they don't even care. The leos are out together two at a time we have four leopard geckos. Two males and two females...my husband wants to breed leopards.
The owls arent much of a problem, we don't take the leopards out. They are nice to hear at night. I see them sometimes. The male hawk he's not a problem it's his girl who is. We do keep tabs on her during summer. She's usually not around often but she'll come back once in a while. She lives somewhere else.
The skink got his new 40 gallon. He's settling in well. We presented the tank to him and let him decide if he wants to stay wild or be a pet again. He went in on his own and dug down under. He poked his head out and we closed the tank doors and he ducked down in again. I suppose he wants to be a pet. I never wanna keep a wild animal. Salamander is still wild and we don't wanna keep him knowing they're native during rainy days. The same with our frogs..Idk what kind they are but they're native during rain too.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yep -- sounds like the skink has adopted you -- let you get him a little home and moved right in. :D

I guess it would be nice to hear owls hooting at night. We have a few species of owls in Alaska but I have never seen or heard one in Anchorage. That doesn't mean they're not around -- I've never been very good at spotting birds. They usually fly away before I can get a very good look at them.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I gave my boy a bath and finally see Broly shedding his left front and right back legs. They're yellow so they should flake off soon. Kane being 8 mos old sheds pretty much every other week. Well more like some body part is shedding every week on our youngest. It's warm but cloudy so I could let the boys go to their designated windows so they stay away from each other. I tried crickets with Broly as it's bug day but it seems not interested then again it's the shed Im sure. Kane never eats on a shed he sheds the old skin and eats about 100 crix a week. Broly eats 50 a week. I'm sure I know Broly's issue but keeping an eye is a good way to ensure health. I'll try again with bugs, Kane already ate. Maybe silks or roaches instead with Broly.
Our new skink is shedding and he eats everything! I'll take him to my husband and see if he has parasites. Geckos are doing well, our gargoyle isnt feeling too hot today. I'll be checking on him shortly. He doesn't wanna eat or move from his hiding tree. I don't think the dogs or kittens have anything to do with this as they don't bother the reptiles. He's alive just doesnt move. I gently petted him and he seemed happy with that.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I checked on the gargoyle he's better. He's eating and climbing around again!
Broly still hasn't started shedding but it's nice that he is.
I did find he loves butternut but not big on sweet potatoes. He'll eat greens and sage, mint and basil. Sweet potatoes are no..won't touch them. Oh well. Snow peas are ok he'll eat a few. We know he loves pumpkin, apples and bugs. Buk choy nope...won't bother...weird some dragons I read like buk choy. He'll eat some blueberries and blackberries. Hates raspberries! Doesn't care for banana (it doesn't matter I don't like the phosphorus (sp).
Kane will eat buk choy, banana (rare), blue, black and raspberries, apple, pumpkin, 3x feedings of bugs, sweet potato, carrot, peas and butternut. He's also 359g. Will weigh Broly tomorrow.
Beerus is better and now with our friend. I'm going to bed, gotta clean up bug bins and my house. My nephew is 6 kinda destroyed it LOL.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's funny how they all seem to have their own individual food preferences. Broly's better off nutritionally with squash than with sweet potatoes anyway. Also better off with pumpkin, apple, blackberries, and blueberries than with raspberries and bananas, so it's pretty good for him that he likes what he likes.

Our beardie has never liked any kind of fruit or berries. Back in the day when he would still eat his greens out of his dish all by himself, we once gave him a little dish of strawberries, but he plowed through it to get to the salad and then left little pink strawberry footprints all across the white paper towels and back up to his basking platform when he was done eating greens. Oh well. :roll: I used to say that I envied him because he liked veggies better than "sweets", and if I had similar tastes I might be healthier, but nowadays all he seems to want is bugs.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Oh I know he's better off nutritional wise. I just wanted to try something different. He doesn't actually care for changes.
So I played Diablo 2 (this is rare and been 3 months) and lost track of time. I did feed and weighed Broly (he's 485g). What I didn't check was when he BM'd. I come back and find BM on the paper towel and it on the tiles (2 of them)! I also had to give a short bath and scrub his tail! I noticed a black dot on tail. I ran fingers over it, cant feel it so not a mite or tick. It looks like a new freckle growing in like the last one he has. It's below his already existing freckle. He has one on his neck, tail and tiny one behind head and a red freckle (weird as hell) on the tail too (summer of 2016 noticed it). So my nephew came and gave me a Dr Who shirt. It's cute it has all of them on it. That kid knows what I like!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They do get into their familiar routines, and they can be very good at making messes. :p

Does anyone else out there have any experience with beardies developing freckles? That's a new one on me.

I've also started wondering if there's any correlation between being into reptiles and being into science fiction, now that I'm starting to find out how many other Dr Who fans there are around here... :? :?:

I used to watch it in the late 1970s and early 80s -- Have you seen any of the old reruns?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

He's a good messer. It was everywhere!

I was 9 when Dr Who movie came out starring Paul McGann so I didnt even know about it. I didnt know what Dr Who was. I was into it. Never seen the show till 2010.
Freckles were new one too. Never had one with freckles he's my first. I read about them, some get them some dont.
I've had beardies before back in 2004. My first Vash (Vashta Narada) never had freckles in his life. He died when he was 10 and a half years old. I've watched some classic Dr Who. I like the 6th doctor. It might be his weird coat being a rainbow LOL. I like all of them even the 12th. Well 9th doctor is ok I don't dislike or hate him he did good. Most I know like the 10th because he's cute! He is but he's not my favorite. Im not sure I met a lot more fans here in 2013..they're gone now they dont come on anymore.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My beardie was asleep when I wrote my last post, but I remembered that he has a tiny little orange-red dot just below his left ear that's been there for probably at least a couple of years and maybe longer before I noticed it. When we did his "good morning cuddle" I checked and it's still there. Looks like someone touched him with the tip of a fine point Sharpie pen, but if that was the case it probably would have shed off by now. So maybe it's a freckle. He's mostly normal colored but has a little bit of orange around his eyes, so maybe there was a little orange pigment left over to make one little freckle with. :?

I had to look up the Who's Who for Dr Who to see which ones you were talking about, because I remember some of them by the actor's names but not by the numbers. Some of my favorites were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, the 3rd & 4th Doctors in the old series. As I recall, I discovered it by accident when I was channel surfing (old mid 20th century cathode ray tube TV that you tuned with a dial -- boy do I feel OLD :mrgreen: ) -- "hey, what's this?" watched it for a few minutes and I was hooked...

The 10th doctor (David Tennant) was cute but he always seemed a little too young to be the doctor, at least to me. But the actor played him really well. I do like the 12th (Peter Capaldi) -- he's got both the look and the personality, but I've heard rumors that this is his last season, so if they keep the series going, there will be another one (#13)...

I don't think all the beardie-loving sci-fi fans are gone from this website -- there seem to still be a few others around. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Pertwee is adorable in his own way. Tom Baker has a way of having me hooked to his episodes. I like Peter Davison too he didnt do a bad job. He was young though. If I remember correctly he left because he felt too young. I liked some of Colin Baker's episodes I was hooked on his coat. I was born when Sylvester started but I grew up and watched some. Christopher Eccleston was pretty good he was real serious but I was hooked on him. Tennant is cute and was young he did well. Matt Smith did well for his run he was pretty young too. I love Capaldi he grew on me. I read some threads here and found another fan but I don't post anywhere else. I had bad experiences in the past so I don't venture out. It wasn't here it was another forum for beardies. Terrible social interaction.
For your beardie, sounds like a freckle. People call em beardie freckles here.
My grandma had the tv just like that one. The dial and attenae rabbit ears. I watched old shows on it that were still on back then on the tv.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear you've had a hard time with other forums. Sometimes people get passionate about making sure the bearded dragons are being properly cared for, and they can come across as pretty mean to the humans if they think they're not treating their beardies right (whether it's true or not) :( , but the people on this forum are usually very nice.

Sounds like you know your Dr Who's even better than me -- I haven't seen all the episodes (at least not yet -- still working on reruns). Sylvester McCoy also played Radagast the Brown in The Hobbit -- very similar personality -- wise old magical wizard type, kind of kooky, but with a magic staff instead of a sonic screwdriver :wink: . I didn't realize the same actor had once played Dr Who until I looked it up -- he was much older and I didn't recognize him, and I may have missed those episodes in their first run in the late 80s -- more research to do and more reruns to watch. :mrgreen:

Most of my TVs have worked reasonably well with cheap rabbit ears until they went to the digital converters. We made do with that for a couple of years (sometimes we couldn't get more than two channels), but then we switched ISPs and now we get cable TV as part of our telecommunications package, but we watch more and more stuff over the internet these days. Now we get more channels than I can keep track of, but I know where to find Dr Who and Star Trek. :D

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Meant to post a pic but this afternoon fell apart!
First power outage (on a sunny day not so bad it happens) but the darn outage killed my filter on my fish tank!! So I had to run to the pet store get another one and install that. My old filter media did not fit so I ended up cycling with some old media (cut up and dropped it in the filter. Ammonia is on 0.25 (this was a CYCLED tank) but lost its mature filter media. I squeezed the water inside the tank to allow bacteria to be sucked up. Hopefully this won't take too long and everyone lives. Cycle broke a little bit and Im sure since the tank has bacteria on gravel, plants and decor it should be fine.
Broly did get sun in the window through all this dissatisfying situation. Pray to the heavens they all live and the cycle doesn't back too far down. Ammonia was at 0.50 then twenty minutes later it was 0.25 so something is working. Poor eels Im sorry guys..feel better I know this is hard. Snails are definitely not happy! Im doing the best I can with what I can do. I just wanted to have my boy in the window (which he got anyway while we were fixing our tank) and watch monster trucks! I then wanted to play Xbox with some friends (online friends).
Fingers crossed for Gator, Kingy, Dawn and Leprechaun (he was small and stayed small). The snails are Pichu, Twitch and Jolly (it seems happy all the time).

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom