Broly the new super saiyan beardie

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I hope it works! I didnt believe it at first too. Dragons having problems with enzymes no way! Definitely turns out its true. I never would have thought of it. I hope she thinks about running tests if everything turns up negative. I paid $1300 altogether for every test if it was negative. I paid so much to find out why he didn't wanna eat. Worst part it was still summer and he was active. He loved being outside and windows just food drove me crazy. I had administer water, cal and vit because he wouldn't eat. His weight was terrible he kept bouncing around 362-369g he wouldn't go higher. I introduced butternut and it helped his weight but still won't eat on his own. It drove me nuts! I tried colors, smells and even unsweetened apple juice. Nothing worked! It was then we ran tests on his GI. We found the problem the enzymes were too low so any food came out hard and food pieces. Terrible! I felt bad having to feed summer when his stomach was getting upset with food. I talked to Tracie in the past about this when it was my problem. She said parasites did it to him and I should use bromelain or papyrus (I believe this one is from papaya) as an enzyme. I've only used one at a time. By September he ate better. Everything became edible again! He ate 19 bugs (was 3-6) and ate all salad. He's 475g now so hes over Feb 16! He didnt get over 478 from Feb 2...but we're 3g from it. He gained 11g out of 14g back. He lost 14g from all BM and no starches added in the diet to help weight. Greens do nothing to gain weight.

Good luck to you and Imp! Be aware it might be a "rest of your life" thing or short term (hoping that one for you). I have life long myself and it sucks but I manage it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good to know, I'll look into that. Bromeleine is a great thing to use for digestion, I got Papaya but it didn't work that well. I'll mention it when I take Imp into see the vet.

How beautiful!! I have my first beardie and I can't say enough how awesome they are! Who would have thought that a lizard could be so tame and actually love and prefer you!! Oh they are great! Your bearded id's gorgeous!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Mandrakesmom: thank you! I should post more but Im super lazy when it comes to pics..

Deb: Im hoping it's the problem. Imp was doing well before. Broly did well too till March. I'm hoping good luck for you and sweet Imp.

Today was an pretty busy day. Cleaning bug bins, water change on my fish tanks which my 150 gal contains seven eels, yellow tangs, damsels (used for cycling and still alive) and clown fish. My 10 gallon has four african dwarf frogs and two apple snails (moving to my 20 gal betta tank). The 20 is heavily planted so my two males never see each other..ever. I have three females and they don't really care. I have a fish room.
Broly got a bath already and I got out of the shower he BM'd and got all over his tail! I had to do a second bath (short enough to clean his tail). Gave him food..I finally checked tracking on my werewolf oh well nothing yet. It's in America is all I know. im waiting on customs or something. I still have our kitten box to take care of..but Im tired oh well. I fed all the reptiles. I never thought I threw out so much energy for the animals. It seems so easy doesnt it? LOL.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
If I remember correctly, bromelain is an extract from pineapple. Several decades ago there was a big fad because they thought it promoted weight loss in humans. Anyone besides me old enough to remember that one? My mother thought they were onto something because she had been to Tahiti (for about two weeks or so with a travel group) and she said she ate like a pig, including a lot of pineapple, and didn't gain weight. I suspect that the reason she didn't gain weight might have had more to do with being more active than she normally was at her desk job -- swimming, etc.

But it's interesting that it's now being used as a digestive aid for bearded dragons (and maybe other reptiles and humans as well?) even though it apparently didn't pan out so much as the miracle drug for weight loss, just like lots of other supplements and whatnot that have been on the market over the years. Funny how we find uses for some of these things that are quite different from what we originally thought they would be good for.

Hope it does a better job helping the beardie feel better than it did helping people lose weight :roll:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I actually do remember that! I was a kid then when we thought bromelain was thought to help weight loss. I researched it recently because my 2 yo beardie takes it so he can eat food. Without it, he won't touch food. It seems to work pretty well. You remember correctly bromelain is an extract from pineapple. Probably why Broly likes it so much.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So the plushie got here. Cute and a lot bigger than I thought! It's at least 9" and they said 8.6" and I know it's not a whole lot of difference. I bleached my hair to color it green and never doing it again. It's not terrible just dandruff is a bit worse than usual. The color is really really pretty dont get me wrong I just don't want terrible hair in the future so doing it once a year. I know the danger of bleaching it dries your hair and could make your hair fall out. My hair is really healthy so it would take more abuse of coloring to make it bad. As I said I won't do it too often. Broly didn't like it either. My mom and sister do it a lot and their hair is wonderful so there's something theyre doing to make their hair still to this day...healthy.

He's still eating twice daily. Collards with pumpkin because butternut went bad today. The store didn't change again. I need to buy my own and plant. I know it will take a while to grow it'll be worth it. He still eats bugs and salads. I let him out for once (it's hard to let him out every day when it's nothing but cold) and he wandered around and licked everything (nothing harmful). I'll try to let him out more though it's cold sometimes the house isnt warm enough. Oh well....I hope no one thinks Im neglected him having out time but he eats, gets bromelain, cal/vit and weekly baths. He gets what he needs and I do pet him a lot. He hates to snuggle I feel like giving up. I can't make him like something. He likes what he likes and we spend time in the window together then. I snuggled him as a baby not sure why he hates it. I get stink eye when I try so whatever.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Since bearded dragons are reported to have full color vision, I can suppose that yours might have been a little startled by the idea of a human with green hair. :mrgreen:

My hair has so much dark pigment in it that I once had to keep the bleach on it for 24 hours just to get it to go brassy peroxide blonde. I actually managed to shock a cosmetologist with that one (I thought they'd seen and heard it all) when I told her I did that and my hair didn't fall out. It was pretty fried, though, so eventually I cut it all off -- it was pretty easy to let the roots grow out and then just cut along the dotted line. :wink: My mother used to do the similar things -- color her hair one week, get a permanent the next week, and then wonder why her hair was the consistency of cotton candy. Nowadays I'm getting too old for that sort of thing, and I'm just watching mine turn grey. :roll:

Nothing wrong with taking a beardie outside as long as it's warm enough, as long as you keep them safe, and as long as they seem to enjoy it. And some like to cuddle and some don't, and some seem to change their minds about it one way or the other when they get older. Maybe window time together will be the best that you can do with him at least for a while. They definitely have a mind of their own, some even more so than others. :?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I already see brown coming back in patches not noticable. My hair seems to reject every color known to human kind LOL. Broly loves his greens so coming home with hair the color of salad may have started him. He did just stare at it like he was gonna eat it. He didn't though. He's not going to be going for a while. It's rainy and in the 50s with winds. He's not my first beardie so I understand the temperatures and tank size and UVB is and everything. I lost my first boy to old age he was 10 1/2 years old. I ordered a hatchling off a breeder (which never again) lost that one to yellow fungus and cancer. I tried treating with vet instructions unfortunately he wasnt able to fight through it. A week later, I got Broly after burying both boys in the yard of my mom's old house (we put dirt from their graves in urns). Broly came home from Petco. This Petco was pretty good had UVB and no BMs sitting around. Food and water looked fresh. They actually fed them 20 crix so everyone got some. Broly was a beast and ate everyone's share and took best uvb areas and basking and nipped at young dragons. He was nipped himself some scales are growing concave under his tail. Some of the damaged scales corrected themselves. Has slight MBD his feet go inward and still has MBD related problems nothing severe. Pinworm problems in the past but fixed now. Seems hes not eating today he had crix interesting. Might be the storm we're having.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Mine was like that at 1 year. He wouldn't touch anything but bugs. He suddenly went off bugs too it was crazy. All summer of '16 it was hand feedings and giving water. Since upping cal his leg stopped shaking. I can't wait till it warms up! He loves going outside and pouncing on bees I don't approve of that but he does it anyway. Our hawk (who we kinda watched grow up and has grown up around my beardie) has no interest in Broly. I still watch him and tell him we don't eat beardies and he flies up on the birdhouse and watches for another small animal. I don't trust my baby hawk though he's grown up and understands what no is. He's snatched a rat that was in Broly's space and took off. I love rats but yeah. He kinda protects Broly though it didn't look like it as animals aren't friends. We have an owl too.

One day your dragon eats greens mine learned he can't always have bugs.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's normal for baby beardies to prefer bugs instead of veggies (as you probably know). They need the extra protein because they've got a lot of growing to do. But mine did it backwards -- when he was between one and two years old he would attack his salad like he was afraid it was going to get away :mrgreen:, but then he got adenovirus and was pretty sick for a while and would barely even eat anything, not even his favorite worms. :( He eventually recovered his appetite for bugs but not for greens. We only feed him bugs once a week hoping he'll get hungry enough in the meantime to try some salad, but he usually holds out for bugs. :roll:

Sounds like you've got quite a collection of critters at your place. :eek:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yeah we got through the continuous bug eating. He's 2 years old now. Free of adeno so far we already tested twice for it. It sucks worms messed with him but now I know it happens I just watch signs with future beardies. I do want to put a warning on the health section about this. I hadn't done it yet then again not sure if I really want to.

We have a garter snake it's wild. We have resident salamanders and blue tongues skinks I don't know if they're native or a pet who got released. he comes inside every now and again with the salamanders. Our geckos and beardies are in their tanks at that time. We have deer mice and bay rats. We have a male hawk, he found a female though we don't see her often and she will snatch our lizards she didn't grow up watching our lizards like he did.
We really have to watch her. We greet our animals every morning and our wild ones.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom