Breeding crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcfrekinns

Yo!
I was wondering if you could breed crickets. I read in a book that it was possible. Does anybody know how?
SOMEBODY PLEASE RESPOND!!!!! :angry5:

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
I'm curious too. Have you tried a google search on the topic. That's what I'm going to do. I'm paranoid about all the talk of "cricket crisis" and "diseased crickets".

romanfj

Hatchling Member
It's possible to breed crickets. I did it for a year. I don't recommend it. Breed roaches. There are so many advantages to roaches compared to crickets:

How to Convince One’s Parents or Spouse to Own Dubias

Get a nice big order of crickets in and let your parent/spouse smell those nasty suckers for a few minutes. Take a nice, deep breath. Especially if the crickets have been in the bin for a week or so - Dubia are odorless.

Then place that nice order of crickets next to his/her bed for the night and see if he or she sleeps - Dubia are silent.

Leave those crix by his/her bed for just a week and let him or her see how fast they die. A cricket's entire life cycle is 8 weeks. Dubia live for 18-24 months. Do the math on the economics with him. -You’ll get free baby dubias out of the deal if you use a heating pad.

There's far more meat per roach as a percent of body weight (less chitin) than a cricket, making them easier to digest for your dragon.

At the end of a month with your parent/spouse having completely lost their sanity due to sleeplessness and he/she smells like a giant pile of decomposing organic waste due to sleeping with the bugs, look around the house with them and see how many fugitive crix you have. Some of them escape. I don't care how careful you may be, they get loose! So, after a mere 30 days, you now have a cricket infestation because Mom/Dad/Spouse didn't want tropical roaches. The Japanese may believe finding a cricket in the home is a lucky omen, but I’m willing to bet they kill the second one after a few nights!

Adult dubia are entirely too lazy to climb out of a Rubbermaid bin. If you want extra security for the tiny nymphs, smear Vaseline around the top 4 inches of the bin on the inside or, if you can get it to stick, put clear packing tape around the rim with the slick side facing the interior of the bin. They definitely will never make it over the clear side. - Dubia can be contained. This will also contain/entertain your now insane parent/spouse as they smear that Vaseline around and around and around the rim of the bin with mad-eyed intensity.

Further, if you drop one while feeding your dragon, dubia aren’t that fast…and they get slower as they cool off. You’ll catch your escapee. Throw out a handful of crickets in the living room and have your glassy-eyed parent/spouse chase those babies down!

Crickets cannibalize their young and keeping the different sizes of crix separated when you breed them is a pain and takes up a lot of space. - Dubia do not eat each other. If you have way too many adult males, the most they'll do is chew on each others' wing tips. If your parents raised you properly, they certainly don’t want you associating with a bunch of cannibals.

Unlike the dreaded German and American cockroaches, dubia can't survive by just eating anything (like wallpaper paste, animal dander, etc.). They eat pretty much what we do, especially fruit so, if your home is clean, dubia couldn't survive due to lack of food. Even in their native homeland of Guayana, they do not infest homes. Tropical roaches actually prefer to live in leaf litter, such as a jungle floor would have.

Dubia can’t reproduce very successfully below 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Don’t know about yours, but my home is cooler than that. Ever been down in a basement in winter and heard a cricket? They’re much harder to freeze.

Dubia don't carry any parasites that I know of. Crix, on the other hand, can harbor pinworms and, since their cousin the grasshopper can carry tapeworms, it's likely crix can, as well, though I haven’t verified it yet.

To my knowledge, none of the bacterial or viral illnesses transmissible from common American or German roaches to humans can be carried by dubia.

If this doesn't convince your parents/spouse to buy dubia, it is a moot point because, by the end of your experiment, your parents/spouse will be clinically insane and legally unable to exercise judgement, which will leave the decision to buy dubia completely within your control!

Frank

Mcfrekinns

Original Poster
How do you breed Dubias? Also, you said you don't want too many males, but how do you tell the difference between males & females?
Thanks 8)

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
breeding crickets is easy.

They have a quick life cycle but they also have a quick reproductive cycle.

I use crickets as feeders and breed dubia and discoids to sell.

what you need depends entirely on how many you need and how often.

pamelacoe

Hatchling Member
How big does your dragon need to be in order to eat roaches? I thought juveniles, like mine, were supposed to have a diet of mostly crickets. As I told my husband, there is so much conflicting information.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
pamelacoe":3ljrbnxq said:
How big does your dragon need to be in order to eat roaches? I thought juveniles, like mine, were supposed to have a diet of mostly crickets. As I told my husband, there is so much conflicting information.

Nope, they certainly can eat them. About the only rule is that the feeder (roach, crickets, etc) should be smaller than the space between the lizards eyes.

pamelacoe

Hatchling Member
Thanks....I have gathered more information in two days of perusing this site than if I had read 10 books!

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Mcfrekinns":4pje1jsm said:
How do you breed Dubias? Also, you said you don't want too many males, but how do you tell the difference between males & females?
Thanks 8)

To breed dubia, I guess all that you need to do is keep their heat and humidity within a certain range and they'll do all the work on their own.

As for how to tell them apart, females don't have wings, you can see orange/brown stripes/spots on their backs, whereas males have full wings (but can't fly, thank god). If you go to http://www.theroachguy.com he has a nice big picture of a male and female dubia next to each other at the top of the page. They're very easy to tell apart. I haven't started breeding yet, but I plan on starting a colony within the next week or two.

Breeding crickets, on the other hand, requires you to keep dirt/soil in with the adults for them to lay their eggs in, and find some kind of magical way to keep the adults from munching their babies.

Mcfrekinns

Original Poster
Would it be a good idea to breed roaches in a garage (I have an extra heat lamp-75w)? Also, do you need a special type of bedding? How does it work for the male and female to start breeding :shock: ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom