Beardie Health and Weight - Advice

Hello There,

My bearded dragon has gained a significant amount of weight over the past few months and her activity has lessened. I took her to a vet but he said she was fine and could have eggs. I watched her and her bathroom sessions are normal, she eats, but no eggs. He said if she hasn't laid them or has experienced issues with going to the bathroom she's fine. Problem is, she still is overweight and doesn't move a ton. She also won't eat veggies.

Could anyone give advice on type of veggies and what I can do as stimulus to get her to move? This is my first experience with a bearded dragon and I don't want to mess up. I've read a ton of information on them but I feel I'm letting her down.

FYI, her name is Spud..

Thank you so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello There,

My bearded dragon has gained a significant amount of weight over the past few months and her activity has lessened. I took her to a vet but he said she was fine and could have eggs. I watched her and her bathroom sessions are normal, she eats, but no eggs. He said if she hasn't laid them or has experienced issues with going to the bathroom she's fine. Problem is, she still is overweight and doesn't move a ton. She also won't eat veggies.

Could anyone give advice on type of veggies and what I can do as stimulus to get her to move? This is my first experience with a bearded dragon and I don't want to mess up. I've read a ton of information on them but I feel I'm letting her down.

FYI, her name is Spud..

Thank you so much.
How old is Spud? Do you know if she has ever laid eggs? What are you feeding her for insects? How many are you feeding and how often? Here is a website for veggies ignore the kale info its outdated and a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
Do you get her out of the tank? You can put her on your LR or bedroom floor and let her run around --- make sure she cant get under stuff that you would not be able to get her out - block stuff off that she can get under - you can use pool noodles or blankets or pillows anything that will keep her out from under things -- as far as lures to the salad bowl get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com or you can use bee pollen or beardie dragon salad dressing

AnxiousHorror

Original Poster
How old is Spud? Do you know if she has ever laid eggs? What are you feeding her for insects? How many are you feeding and how often? Here is a website for veggies ignore the kale info its outdated and a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
Do you get her out of the tank? You can put her on your LR or bedroom floor and let her run around --- make sure she cant get under stuff that you would not be able to get her out - block stuff off that she can get under - you can use pool noodles or blankets or pillows anything that will keep her out from under things -- as far as lures to the salad bowl get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com or you can use bee pollen or beardie dragon salad dressing
Spud is roughly 3 years old and has never laid eggs. I feed her Dubia roaches but when she started eating that less, I was giving her calcium rich dry bugs. Thank you for the link! I don't get her out as much and I need to start doing that. The problem with that? She goes to my glass doors everytime and surfs. Sometimes albeit rarely she will walk around.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
What is her weight and lenght right now? Can you pist a picture of Spud?
How often do you feed her the bugs?

AnxiousHorror

Original Poster
What is her weight and lenght right now? Can you pist a picture of Spud?
How often do you feed her the bugs?
Here she is! I don't have her specific weight right now. I feed her bugs every couple of days.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 47

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here she is! I don't have her specific weight right now. I feed her bugs every couple of days.
Holy cow! She is heavy! I would cut back the insects to once a week and offer only salads- try the bsfl on top of the salads substituting the roaches- once a week w/ the bsfl-- have you felt her abdomen for eggs?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
They slow down this time of the year.

You can try feeding her something that she would have to chase. Like roaches, and when she gets in the habit of hunting again, crickets.
My boy only gets bugs when he'll put the effort in to chase them. No chase, no bugs, only salads then. An adult will be fine eating bugs once a week.
They can go weeks without eating at all....

AnxiousHorror

Original Poster
Holy cow! She is heavy! I would cut back the insects to once a week and offer only salads- try the bsfl on top of the salads substituting the roaches- once a week w/ the bsfl-- have you felt her abdomen for eggs?
Will do! Yeah she doesn't even run around anymore and I have to move her sometimes for heat. I felt her abdomen but felt nothing off. The vet said he COULD give her an ultrasound but I declined. He's the only vet in the area so I have no way to get a second opinion.

AnxiousHorror

Original Poster
They slow down this time of the year.

You can try feeding her something that she would have to chase. Like roaches, and when she gets in the habit of hunting again, crickets.
My boy only gets bugs when he'll put the effort in to chase them. No chase, no bugs, only salads then. An adult will be fine eating bugs once a week.
They can go weeks without eating at all....
Smart! Make sure she gets activity in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom