Beardie HATES water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im back with another question. :?
My beardie, Ike, absolutely hates water.
I have tried misting him to get him hydrated but he freaks out and bolts! I make sure the temp of the water is warm but not hot, so I really don't know what it is that is making him freak.

I have tried baths but he frantically tries to escape and climb up the sides. Again, I check the temps so its not too hot/cold and even have a wash cloth so he has something to hang on to and feel secure. He still tries to escape :?

I also have tried using an eyedropper and dropping water on the tip of his nose but he will either ignore it or shake his head. Sometimes he will sit there until the water evaporates...

The only time I have seen him have any sort of water was when he ate some endives.

His skin is a bit wrinkled and I'm worried that it could be dehydration.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry that you're having a time trying to get him properly hydrated. None of my beardies ever liked being misted because the water would trickle down by their eyes and evidently it tickled so they would close their eyes tight, it was obvious they hated it so I stopped doing it.

As far as the bath goes, how high are you adding the water, what body part does it come up to? What are you using to bathe him in? Have you tried just holding him in your hand and letting him cling onto you with your hand in the water?

Let us know your answers to the above and perhaps we can offer more suggestions to try. The more often he is bathed, the sooner he will learn to accept and maybe even like it. I started bathing mine when they were only 4 1/2" long and they are now adults. They would each stay in an hour if I let them. :) We'll help you get this straightened out.

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
diamc":2s4m5412 said:
Hi, sorry that you're having a time trying to get him properly hydrated. None of my beardies ever liked being misted because the water would trickle down by their eyes and evidently it tickled so they would close their eyes tight, it was obvious they hated it so I stopped doing it.

As far as the bath goes, how high are you adding the water, what body part does it come up to? What are you using to bathe him in? Have you tried just holding him in your hand and letting him cling onto you with your hand in the water?

Let us know your answers to the above and perhaps we can offer more suggestions to try. The more often he is bathed, the sooner he will learn to accept and maybe even like it. I started bathing mine when they were only 4 1/2" long and they are now adults. They would each stay in an hour if I let them. :) We'll help you get this straightened out.

Since I only got him about a week ago and he is my first bearded dragon I was really cautious and only filled the bath water up so it was really shallow. It was at about at his elbows. I use a rubbermaid container that is about 1ft x 1ft (Ike is only about 9 inches) and it isn't see through.
I have tried holding him in my hand while in the water but the little guy just climbed up my arm. :?

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Mine did that too the first time or two when he was really young. I think if you get your hand nice and warm from the water and slowly place him in the palm of that hand, he'll eventually adjust. It may take a couple times of putting him in there. Once he figures it out, he'll probably learn to like it.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I'm curious to try out these suggestions and maybe get a few more, because my beardie is the exact same way. He HATES baths and can't get them over with soon enough. And when i try to drip water on his nose or have him lick it off my fingers, he completely ignores it. The only hydration I can get him right now is by adding a little water to his salad so his greens are wet when he eats them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, they seem to relax better when you use a transparent container so they can see out. Also, you could add enough warm water to cover his front legs but watch him very closely. Babies are very active so it could just be that he is trying to get exercise. When he climbs up your arm, hold him over the water to see if he'll jump back in and make a game out of it. I have 2 beardies that dive into the water, climb up the sides and jump back in again when I hold them over the water. Another swims like an alligator.

I used the transparent containers when they were small but the kitchen sink works very well as you can add more warm water as it starts to cool off. I use a spongy sink liner with suction cups that sticks to the sink so there is no sliding around at all.

Another thing you could do is take his favorite log or rock and set that in the water, that may help him feel more relaxed and it will be something he is familiar with. Mine like to lean over a hollowed out log with their vents down in the water. Always have your hand available though in case he wants to hang onto it.

Let us know if any of these help make it more of a pleasant experience.

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
diamc":3egshnc7 said:
Well, they seem to relax better when you use a transparent container so they can see out. Also, you could add enough warm water to cover his front legs but watch him very closely. Babies are very active so it could just be that he is trying to get exercise. When he climbs up your arm, hold him over the water to see if he'll jump back in and make a game out of it. I have 2 beardies that dive into the water, climb up the sides and jump back in again when I hold them over the water. Another swims like an alligator.

I used the transparent containers when they were small but the kitchen sink works very well as you can add more warm water as it starts to cool off. I use a spongy sink liner with suction cups that sticks to the sink so there is no sliding around at all.

Another thing you could do is take his favorite log or rock and set that in the water, that may help him feel more relaxed and it will be something he is familiar with. Mine like to lean over a hollowed out log with their vents down in the water. Always have your hand available though in case he wants to hang onto it.

Let us know if any of these help make it more of a pleasant experience.

Thanks so much! I will try these things tomorrow because he's sleeping now :D I can't thank you enough!

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
diamc":1lgg9xnn said:
Hope it helps. You can thank me if it does. :D

I successfully gave Ike a bath :D THANK YOU. i used a transparent container instead and but his favorite rock in and he was completely calm and relaxed! he even swam around a bit :) thanks again!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great. :D Isn't it amazing how a few minor changes can make all the difference to how they handle it? So, he even swam around? Bet you were surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom