Beardie fall

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's going to take a while since she was affected quite a lot by the fall. There may be internal bruising that just hurts at times since beardies use their entire body to move, including the underbelly area. So that's a lot of area potentially recovering from bruising [ internal ] and maybe causing the occasional wide gape. Balance is off but seemed to be getting better....hope for the best ! :)

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
I took Ember to a new vet who sees exotics who is closer to us. So this is different from the exotics vet (who only sees exotics) we normally go to. I changed bc this one is MUCH closer and I had a few recommendations from friends.

So first off, this vet had a very “alpha” demeanor and “my way or the highway” kind of vibe. He immediately said that the first thing he was going to do was give her a dewormer bc “everything has parasites, even you and me.” Then he also prescribed antibiotics, in case there was an infection. I am typically a test to treat person - but ok. I had been worrying a bit that her parasites might be rearing their heads again since she was injured (she had been treated for parasites just under a year ago - confirmed by fecal tests). He did not do any fecal tests. He gave her ponazuril and panacur and the antibiotic SMZ-TMP. I asked if this was a lot to be dosing her with at once, since she is already trying to heal from her fall, and he said that getting rid of her parasites would actually help her to heal bc it would free her immune system from fighting the parasites to concentrate on getting better.

Then he said that feeding her on her tongue was not good - that she could aspirate the food and get a lung infection or choke. To feed her, and to give the medicine, I should pull down her beard and insert the syringe all the way into her mouth and down her throat. Is that correct? The reptile vet had shown me a different way to administer the syringe, which is to open her mouth and jaw from the side and squirt it in to her mouth. (Which to be honest never really worked well.) So which is the best way to administer medicine and feed them? I will admit that when I was putting the serrapeptase a little at a time on her tongue, she did spit it out one time - maybe bc she was choking on it?

And are all these meds too much to give her at once? I don’t think I’ll go back to this vet, but I’m wondering the best course of treatment for the present. Thanks for reading!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I took Ember to a new vet who sees exotics who is closer to us. So this is different from the exotics vet (who only sees exotics) we normally go to. I changed bc this one is MUCH closer and I had a few recommendations from friends.

So first off, this vet had a very “alpha” demeanor and “my way or the highway” kind of vibe. He immediately said that the first thing he was going to do was give her a dewormer bc “everything has parasites, even you and me.” Then he also prescribed antibiotics, in case there was an infection. I am typically a test to treat person - but ok. I had been worrying a bit that her parasites might be rearing their heads again since she was injured (she had been treated for parasites just under a year ago - confirmed by fecal tests). He did not do any fecal tests. He gave her ponazuril and panacur and the antibiotic SMZ-TMP. I asked if this was a lot to be dosing her with at once, since she is already trying to heal from her fall, and he said that getting rid of her parasites would actually help her to heal bc it would free her immune system from fighting the parasites to concentrate on getting better.

Then he said that feeding her on her tongue was not good - that she could aspirate the food and get a lung infection or choke. To feed her, and to give the medicine, I should pull down her beard and insert the syringe all the way into her mouth and down her throat. Is that correct? The reptile vet had shown me a different way to administer the syringe, which is to open her mouth and jaw from the side and squirt it in to her mouth. (Which to be honest never really worked well.) So which is the best way to administer medicine and feed them? I will admit that when I was putting the serrapeptase a little at a time on her tongue, she did spit it out one time - maybe bc she was choking on it?

And are all these meds too much to give her at once? I don’t think I’ll go back to this vet, but I’m wondering the best course of treatment for the present. Thanks for reading!
Do not listen to him- that guy is a quack- all those meds at once and I am at a loss for words! How is the dragon doing? If you feed slow and let her swallow what you put in she will be fine

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
She is maintaining. Still gaping a LOT. I’m not sure how she’s going to do though after this visit bc he already gave her the 1st dose of all the meds. Ugh. 😓

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
Also, now that she’s been given all of these drugs, what is the best probiotic to give her? And what is a good volume of water I should try to get in to her per day (in mL)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also, now that she’s been given all of these drugs, what is the best probiotic to give her? And what is a good volume of water I should try to get in to her per day (in mL)?
Home look here for a probiotic - offer her water every other day - I put a salad plate w/ blaze on it --his two legs spray water on his head and it drips off onto the plate- he then licks it off the plate- he moves away when he's done

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie

Poor thing! That Vet guy is out of his mind. You should just keep on doing what you were originally doing on how to feed her give her meds. When I read how many meds she needs to takes I was SPEECHLESS. I would definitely not come back to that vet if I had that experience my goodness- Hopefully she will have a good recovery.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is too bad, there are so many bad vets which give terrible advice that is completely wrong.
I agree, the best way to feed is how you have been doing. Just drip the food/water onto her nose to let
her take what she wants to. Once she gets used to the feeding regime like that things should improve.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
@Drache613 do you think I should give her the 2nd dose of the dewormers today? (Panacur and ponazuril) or the antibiotics? I am leaning towards no, but I would like a 2nd opinion.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
@Drache613 do you think I should give her the 2nd dose of the dewormers today? (Panacur and ponazuril) or the antibiotics? I am leaning towards no, but I would like a 2nd opinion.
I would say no w/ out another fecal being done- and that is NO enemas - if your gonna have one done take a sample in --- what does her poop look like ? Runny? Stinking so bad you cant stand it?

EmberRising

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ember
Her poops have all been pretty normal. Solid but a good amount of liquid around them. Stinky but not too bad. I WAS worried in the back of my mind that any latent parasites might be multiplying with her injury. But I’m not sure that’s how they work? She hasn’t been around any other animals or had any crickets.

I’m worried I’m not getting enough water in her though. She won’t drink when I drip on her nose. I am literally dripping water, one drop at a time with a pipette, on the tip of her tongue inside her mouth while she is gaping. She lets me give maybe 5-6 drops and then turns away.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her poops have all been pretty normal. Solid but a good amount of liquid around them. Stinky but not too bad. I WAS worried in the back of my mind that any latent parasites might be multiplying with her injury. But I’m not sure that’s how they work? She hasn’t been around any other animals or had any crickets.

I’m worried I’m not getting enough water in her though. She won’t drink when I drip on her nose. I am literally dripping water, one drop at a time with a pipette, on the tip of her tongue inside her mouth while she is gaping. She lets me give maybe 5-6 drops and then turns away.
Shes hydrated w/ the extra water in the stools -- shes fine -- w/ no tell tell signs of parasites I would not give the medication -- offer her water again in a week or so --- just keep watching the stools -- your surface basking temps and UVB are going to help her fend the parasites off -- if all that is good she should be fine -

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom