Beardie being unusually lazy this morning

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
Hi! Sorry in advance for the background - I've got a 7mo old female bebe I've had for only 2 weeks. She came from a not-great home, so she's not well-socialized, and wasn't on the right diet and feeding schedule for a juvenile beardie. However, after just a couple days with me and getting the right foods she now keeps herself on a weirdly-specific schedule of activity, basking and pooping. At night, she sleeps on her favorite hammock, and when the lights come on in the morning, I give her 1.5 hours before we do breakfast, which is mostly protein like grasshoppers, beardie buffet or dubias, and then I leave her a lil salad she will monch on throughout the day. She'll bask, walk around, push her little ball around, and sit on a goat vertebrae in her tank she loves for some reason. She poops at 9 am and 4 pm. Totally normal and healthy poo/urate. She's always a tad overhydrated, if anything. Second feeding is at 5 pm. Again, mostly protein. Maybe a couple berries 3x a week-ish.

ANYWAY, last night was the first time I took her out to cuddle for bedtime. I wrapped her in a blanket that smells like me and set her on my tummy. She stayed calm, looked around for awhile, even let my husband pet her a bit, and eventually fell dead asleep. I put her back in her viv on her little dinosaur plush/blanket combo she loves, and she was still sleeping there when I turned her lights on this morning. But here's the thing - it's past noon and she still hasn't gotten up, still hasn't pooped or anything. She ate breakfast just fine and is alert and everything; she's just not going about her normal day; like, she usually only goes over to the dino blanket when she's trying to get away from her 4 pm poo. I will say that I'm noticing a bit of flaking at the top of her tail, and it is about time for her to start a new shed, so idk if that affects anything. So - is this lazy day something I should be concerned about? Or am I just overanalyzing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! Sorry in advance for the background - I've got a 7mo old female bebe I've had for only 2 weeks. She came from a not-great home, so she's not well-socialized, and wasn't on the right diet and feeding schedule for a juvenile beardie. However, after just a couple days with me and getting the right foods she now keeps herself on a weirdly-specific schedule of activity, basking and pooping. At night, she sleeps on her favorite hammock, and when the lights come on in the morning, I give her 1.5 hours before we do breakfast, which is mostly protein like grasshoppers, beardie buffet or dubias, and then I leave her a lil salad she will monch on throughout the day. She'll bask, walk around, push her little ball around, and sit on a goat vertebrae in her tank she loves for some reason. She poops at 9 am and 4 pm. Totally normal and healthy poo/urate. She's always a tad overhydrated, if anything. Second feeding is at 5 pm. Again, mostly protein. Maybe a couple berries 3x a week-ish.

ANYWAY, last night was the first time I took her out to cuddle for bedtime. I wrapped her in a blanket that smells like me and set her on my tummy. She stayed calm, looked around for awhile, even let my husband pet her a bit, and eventually fell dead asleep. I put her back in her viv on her little dinosaur plush/blanket combo she loves, and she was still sleeping there when I turned her lights on this morning. But here's the thing - it's past noon and she still hasn't gotten up, still hasn't pooped or anything. She ate breakfast just fine and is alert and everything; she's just not going about her normal day; like, she usually only goes over to the dino blanket when she's trying to get away from her 4 pm poo. I will say that I'm noticing a bit of flaking at the top of her tail, and it is about time for her to start a new shed, so idk if that affects anything. So - is this lazy day something I should be concerned about? Or am I just overanalyzing?
Shed is more than likely coming on -- just keep up w/ the normal routine and let her do her thing -- she sounds healthy -- are you using a long tube UVB fixture or a coil?

Beardie name(s)
Blue
Might just be a lazy day. My beardie does the same. If they continue for more days in that behavior, I would look into it more. But if she is eating, still pooping(maybe at a later time), drinking, etc, I wouldnt worry. Maybe give it a couple hours to see if they come back to normal. Are you a new beardie owner? When I see new concerning behavior, the first thing I do is reasearch. It has helped me alot! 😁

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
I'm using a 48" Reptizoo hood with 10.0 T5 HO Reptisun bulb.
Ok good and is it in the tank or on the screen? Screen will make a difference in uvb rays getting to her?
It's on top of the screen, and she usually sits on a hammock about 8ish inches from it. She has a lower hammock to get away from it, one to shelter her from it, and a hide - so she has places to get away. Right now she's in the corner on her blanket, which is partially under the shelter thing, and it looks like she's decided to take a nap. Still hasn't pooped or gone to bask. Could I have just scared the living **** out of her yesterday by taking her out? She didn't show signs of stress before during or after, but I have no frame of reference.

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
Might just be a lazy day. My beardie does the same. If they continue for more days in that behavior, I would look into it more. But if she is eating, still pooping(maybe at a later time), drinking, etc, I wouldnt worry. Maybe give it a couple hours to see if they come back to normal. Are you a new beardie owner? When I see new concerning behavior, the first thing I do is reasearch. It has helped me alot! 😁
Yup, I am quite new to this. Have been googling the **** out of literally everything she does. lol. So the occasional lazy day is a normal thing? I think the fact that this coincided with the first time I took her out to cuddle last night is making me worry...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's on top of the screen, and she usually sits on a hammock about 8ish inches from it. She has a lower hammock to get away from it, one to shelter her from it, and a hide - so she has places to get away. Right now she's in the corner on her blanket, which is partially under the shelter thing, and it looks like she's decided to take a nap. Still hasn't pooped or gone to bask. Could I have just scared the living **** out of her yesterday by taking her out? She didn't show signs of stress before during or after, but I have no frame of reference.
I dont think so -- its concerning when they all of a sudden stop doing the thing your used to -- that is why I am asking about the UVB because it will cause them to stop eating all of a sudden etc --- your screen is a fine mesh or a wide hole type? If its a fine mesh it will need to be unobstructed -- that screen will block 30% of the rays -- and distance unobstructed would be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- if its a wide hole type the 8 inch on the hammock would be good ---

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
I dont think so -- its concerning when they all of a sudden stop doing the thing your used to -- that is why I am asking about the UVB because it will cause them to stop eating all of a sudden etc --- your screen is a fine mesh or a wide hole type? If its a fine mesh it will need to be unobstructed -- that screen will block 30% of the rays -- and distance unobstructed would be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- if its a wide hole type the 8 inch on the hammock would be good ---
Got it. So, she ate like a horse this morning (normal for her). The top is fine mesh. I put the light on top of the screen and took the reflector out because when it was inside she would squint and close her eyes a lot, and I read that could cause eye damage and skin burns... should I put the reflector back in? Or should I just chill tf out and see what happens tomorrow?

Beardie name(s)
Blue
Yup, I am quite new to this. Have been googling the **** out of literally everything she does. lol. So the occasional lazy day is a normal thing? I think the fact that this coincided with the first time I took her out to cuddle last night is making me worry...
I wouldnt worry about taking her out at night. Yes, the occasional lazy day is normal. But if it continues for longer(after tommorow), it might be something to worry about. How much water are they drinking? I would actually continue taking them out at night. It helps them bond with you. Mine snuggles with me every night!

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
I wouldnt worry about taking her out at night. Yes, the occasional lazy day is normal. But if it continues for longer(after tommorow), it might be something to worry about. How much water are they drinking? I would actually continue taking them out at night. It helps them bond with you. Mine snuggles with me every night!
Thanks - I'll do that. She's poorly socialized so she probably needs it. She doesn't drink water, but she's not dehydrated; I feed her moist foods and there's always a bit of extra water after the poo/urate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Got it. So, she ate like a horse this morning (normal for her). The top is fine mesh. I put the light on top of the screen and took the reflector out because when it was inside she would squint and close her eyes a lot, and I read that could cause eye damage and skin burns... should I put the reflector back in? Or should I just chill tf out and see what happens tomorrow?
Please get the reflector back in --- the Reptisun bulb should not be causing them to squint they are one of the safest lights out there - if the UVB bulb was placed in the tank right in the line of sight then I would say yes to the squinting etc -- the reflector directs the UVB rays downward toward her for best effects / benefits of the rays --

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
Please get the reflector back in --- the Reptisun bulb should not be causing them to squint they are one of the safest lights out there - if the UVB bulb was placed in the tank right in the line of sight then I would say yes to the squinting etc -- the reflector directs the UVB rays downward toward her for best effects / benefits of the rays --
Okay, I will do that right now.

tinydinosaurmum

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ryu
Okay, I will do that right now.
Bahaha okay so I took her out and put her in her play area while I put the reflector back in, then put her on my chest for a bit. Put her back in the tank on her basking spot (which is also exclusively where she goes to the bathroom), and she almost immediately took a HUGE poo. Must have had a little bit of an impaction or something that still allowed her to pass stuff but, like, not enough. Like, she physically looks thinner now. Lol. Perked up and went to eat her salad. Fingers crossed it was just that. Thank you for the reflector advice - since it was removable I had no idea how important it was.

Beardie name(s)
Blue
Thanks - I'll do that. She's poorly socialized so she probably needs it. She doesn't drink water, but she's not dehydrated; I feed her moist foods and there's always a bit of extra water after

Bahaha okay so I took her out and put her in her play area while I put the reflector back in, then put her on my chest for a bit. Put her back in the tank on her basking spot (which is also exclusively where she goes to the bathroom), and she almost immediately took a HUGE poo. Must have had a little bit of an impaction or something that still allowed her to pass stuff but, like, not enough. Like, she physically looks thinner now. Lol. Perked up and went to eat her salad. Fingers crossed it was just that. Thank you for the reflector advice - since it was removable I had no idea how important it was.
Try misting her 2-4 times a day with water. Also, if she wont drink from a bowl, use a spray bottle or dropper to drop water on her nose. A dehydrated lizard might have some impaction. Should help with health of your lizard. Glad shes ok!😁

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiegates
Top Bottom