CheetosOwner

Original Poster
I have a 3 year old beardie who in the last few months had developed a weird trait. Her tail and legs twitch involuntarily, touching or not touching her. Even now as I am typing this, her tail almost seems like it’s vibrating every couple of mins. When I touch her tail , it’s not like she is flinching away, it just twitches. Her legs mostly twitch while pooping. Now her front legs have gotten so swollen too in the last week, and she basically drags her butt when she walks. She stands on her hind legs to walk but in her cage she just drags herself. She also keeps falling off her basking rock, I had to take it out because she kept falling onto her back which freaks me out. When I take her out of the cage she explores my room so she doesn’t have that lethargy. She goes to the bathroom once a day, poops like she always does normally, the only thing off about that is sometimes her urate is hard like a rock and when I break it in half, it’s like the calcium powder I gave her re-solidified. She eats OK, she likes kale and the vegetable medley I buy from Petsmart or zucchini and green pepper, and once a week I do horn worms. I buy water bottles and give her water from the bottles from Costco. And I bathe every day sometimes twice a day. Researching online has told me metabolic bone disease, but I need to know what to do now. I know I need to go to the vet bit nobody is taking exotics, what can I do right now ? Like I care so much for her and I just don’t know what’s happening. Some backstory is I stupidly had a coil UVB because I am just so stupid I did not realize they were bad for beardie. And I spent in debt almost $1000 on all new product, 3 months ago on UVB tubes, new lamps, more 100 watt bulbs and went from a 40gal to 70 gal, new decor. I did not dust all her food in calcium everyday due to it being in her urate like rocks. I bought liquid calcium recently but I don’t know if it’s working. Is it too late? Like are the swelling, the twitching, the falling over all signs that I just am a terrible owner. Like I love her more than anything and I can’t believe I messed it up potentially. And I’m sorry for posting such a long thing. I just need advice to make her better. Thank you .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 3 year old beardie who in the last few months had developed a weird trait. Her tail and legs twitch involuntarily, touching or not touching her. Even now as I am typing this, her tail almost seems like it’s vibrating every couple of mins. When I touch her tail , it’s not like she is flinching away, it just twitches. Her legs mostly twitch while pooping. Now her front legs have gotten so swollen too in the last week, and she basically drags her butt when she walks. She stands on her hind legs to walk but in her cage she just drags herself. She also keeps falling off her basking rock, I had to take it out because she kept falling onto her back which freaks me out. When I take her out of the cage she explores my room so she doesn’t have that lethargy. She goes to the bathroom once a day, poops like she always does normally, the only thing off about that is sometimes her urate is hard like a rock and when I break it in half, it’s like the calcium powder I gave her re-solidified. She eats OK, she likes kale and the vegetable medley I buy from Petsmart or zucchini and green pepper, and once a week I do horn worms. I buy water bottles and give her water from the bottles from Costco. And I bathe every day sometimes twice a day. Researching online has told me metabolic bone disease, but I need to know what to do now. I know I need to go to the vet bit nobody is taking exotics, what can I do right now ? Like I care so much for her and I just don’t know what’s happening. Some backstory is I stupidly had a coil UVB because I am just so stupid I did not realize they were bad for beardie. And I spent in debt almost $1000 on all new product, 3 months ago on UVB tubes, new lamps, more 100 watt bulbs and went from a 40gal to 70 gal, new decor. I did not dust all her food in calcium everyday due to it being in her urate like rocks. I bought liquid calcium recently but I don’t know if it’s working. Is it too late? Like are the swelling, the twitching, the falling over all signs that I just am a terrible owner. Like I love her more than anything and I can’t believe I messed it up potentially. And I’m sorry for posting such a long thing. I just need advice to make her better. Thank you .
Please tell me the brand and bulb of the uvb and where it's placed in the tank-- it does sound like mbd- but maybe gout as well w/ the swollen legs/ feet- what staple insect I saw only hornworms

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The hard urates are likely indicative of dehydration. Thy usuing an eyedropper to drip water on her snout to get her to drink. For the twitching give calcium once per day and try to get her outside in the real sunshine, daily if possible. Try to take her out right after the calcium, keep her out for an hour ir so if possible. Be careful not to overheat her though.

CheetosOwner

Original Poster
Please tell me the brand and bulb of the uvb and where it's placed in the tank-- it does sound like mbd- but maybe gout as well w/ the swollen legs/ feet- what staple insect I saw only hornworms
It is a PRO T5 UVB kit , 24W from a brand named Arcadia. D3 Desert, It says HO-T5 on the side, 110-120V on the bottom, with 12% UVB and 30% UVA. Just reading from the box I have. It is like a long tube. I have it over a mesh lid and it takes up about half the tank, I have it over the non basking side. For staples it really was just hornworms and sometimes dubia roaches from a pack (Canada doesn’t allow live dubias). She used to have superworms until about 1-1/2 years old but I didn’t like seeing their shells in her poop as I was worried she wasn’t digesting it properly. Previously she had just your standard coil in a dome lamp, I believe it was Exo-Terra, the 26W and it said 150 UVB on it. That was over a mesh top as well, and she had that for about 2 years .

CheetosOwner

Original Poster
The hard urates are likely indicative of dehydration. Thy usuing an eyedropper to drip water on her snout to get her to drink. For the twitching give calcium once per day and try to get her outside in the real sunshine, daily if possible. Try to take her out right after the calcium, keep her out for an hour ir so if possible. Be careful not to overheat her though.
Is it ok to give liquid calcium instead of powder?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom