BeardedDragon.org Joins in Internet SOPA Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Good to see its dying down again. But you are absolutely right. We HAVE to be vigilant. I can't wait to vote in 12 days!!!!!!

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm, We were going to move to Canada if it passed, but then I would have to hide or get rid of my dubia.... :?

LOL

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Alex,

GREAT job on protesting SOPA & PIPA! :blob8:
You are right, it wont pass, "this time" but instead they will try to disguise it in some long 2000 page bill like the Health care act or Patriot act & ram it through at 3am during a holiday or something crazy like that!
I refuse to cry when a horrid politician dies. I hope this country doesn't end up like that.
Unfortunately, there is no where to hide to get away from censorship from governements. The governments are all run by the same people, the UN.

OOPS! Sorry, I got carried away. I get on my political rants...
I wont get started on the election fraud going on.

Tracie

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Drache613":1re47ka3 said:
Hello Alex,

GREAT job on protesting SOPA & PIPA! :blob8:
You are right, it wont pass, "this time" but instead they will try to disguise it in some long 2000 page bill like the Health care act or Patriot act & ram it through at 3am during a holiday or something crazy like that!
I refuse to cry when a horrid politician dies. I hope this country doesn't end up like that.
Unfortunately, there is no where to hide to get away from censorship from governements. The governments are all run by the same people, the UN.

OOPS! Sorry, I got carried away. I get on my political rants...
I wont get started on the election fraud going on.

Tracie

You rant? Nahhhhhhhhhhhh :lol: I was about to till I realized what forum I was on :lol:

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Don't feel bad, Tracie. Sounds like on a different board you and I would be terrific friends. I frequently warn people "don't get me started - you can't shut me up when I get going."

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks! :oops:
If you want to talk politics, definitely PM me, I am sure we would strike up some interesting conversations.
No, I never rant, ever! :laughhard:

Tracie

Government needs to listen to the people on this one. They would take away everything that made the internet what it is today if this stupid thing is passed

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Sent to me in an email earlier today:

"We’ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today -- the votes we’ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game. You were heard.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday.

This was unprecedented. Your activism may have changed the way people fight for the public interest and basic rights forever.

The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled. “‘This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,’ MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. ‘[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.’”

“'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."
In the New Yorker: "Fittingly, perhaps, the discussion has unfolded on Weibo, the Twitter-like micro-blogging site that has a team of censors on staff to trim posts with sensitive political content. That is the arrangement that opponents of the bill have suggested would be required of American sites if they are compelled to police their users’ content for copyright violations. On Weibo, joking about SOPA’s similarities to Chinese censorship was sensitive enough that some posts on the subject were almost certainly deleted (though it can be hard to know).
After Chinese Web users got over the strangeness of hearing Americans debate the merits of screening the Web for objectionable content, they marvelled at the American response. Commentator Liu Qingyan wrote:

‘We should learn something from the way these American Internet companies protested against SOPA and PIPA. A free and democratic society depends on every one of us caring about politics and fighting for our rights. We will not achieve it by avoiding talk about politics.’""

I paraphrased it as some parts asked for a donation to keep fighting when the bills sneak back up, which they undoubtedly will.

The press release can be found here: https://fightfortheftr.wordpress.com/press-releases/

GOOD JOB BD.ORG! For now, we may breathe easy. But NEVER should we let our guard down! :)

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Inspiring. Makes me look at the simple political signs in peoples yards a little differently today. Ya know? I mean each of those is a voice telling us what they stand for. It makes me sad now that there isn't one in every yard.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Signs just raise awareness. To really affect change, people need to actually make the phone calls to their representatives. Emails don't work. Even the protect here was not to directly tell the legislators (although it does help), but rather to get PEOPLE to CALL their legislators. That is what they listen to. Until they get phone calls or physical letters (not email), they write it off as just being a "few loud people", and not a chunk of their constituency.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I know, but I mean that the country seems to just be asleep. This SOPA thing is the first time it seems like people really care about what is going on lately. But when I see signs out, that tells me people are paying attention and know what is going on and what their stand is on it. KWIM? If only there were signs in every yard. The point is people actually using their voices at all right now makes me feel better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Freedom is not free & too many people think it is. We can never let our guard down about anything. These were tests to see how Americans would react, luckily a lot of people were paying attention. I worry they will try to pass it through secretly like they always do.
It is time we realize that we can't trust our government with anything at all. If people would act accordingly, we could get our elections back but sadly the elections are "selections" rigged & controlled by the Elite.
Alex is right. Calling your senators, congress & representatives is a good way to have your voice heard. Writing letters helps a lot also.

It is time America wakes up before it's too late. :D

Tracie

Shiva

Hatchling Member
awesome! I love how connected people are thru the internet (threads like bd and fb ect) . This shows how well word spreads, even tho all may not write or call our congress many many spread the word and just spreading information to so many is effective in making change happen.
Thank you Bearded Dragon for joining the strike and spreading the word! :blob5: :study:

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Now we have to watch what they do with OPEN ...Not as certain as this one. It is supposed to target out country sites and send warnings to them then to their advertisers or some such. Need to educate myself on that one a lot more. Honestly just starting to read into it...opinions anyone?
I talked with my rep and the fellow here in NV was one of SOPA's biggest supporters...has nothing to do with the over 500,000 he took in from entertainment lobbyists, I'm sure :p He is still very much for a form of internet control though. Here is what I got back from him, typos and all! (how can you send out a form letter with so many typos!?)

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act . I share your concerns and appreciate hearing f rom you on this important issue.

Like you, I oppose the Stop Online Piracy Act. Reasonable protections for intellectual property rights are critical to preserving jobs and ensuring the continued success of the U.S. entertainment and technology industries, but we must not stifle innovation by enacting burdensome and overly broad laws. Copyrighted materials, including music, movies, television shows, software, books and more can be easily—and illegally—obtained through file sharing networks, and we should continue to promote efforts to eliminate intellectual property theft. Fortunately, online piracy has declined significantly in recent years, thanks both to the closure of major illegal file sharing networks and rogue sites and to the rise of legitimate digital content providers.

As you may know, H.R. 3261 was introduced by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX). This legislation would establish new laws to shut down "rogue sites" that infringe upon copyright protections and distribute unauthorized content. There are some concerns, however, that this legislation is too broad and will jeopardize copyright protections already in place. The private market has proven that it will innovate and provide attractive, legal solutions as technology continues to advance. As we move forward, our laws should not stifle creativity, but still provide artists, authors, and entertainers with protections for their hard work and ideas. This legislation was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary, where it awaits further action. Though I do not serve on this committee, please be assured that I share your concerns and will not support SOPA or any legislation that gives government the right to shut down websites or IP addresses without due process.

For additional information, please visit my website, http://www.heck.house.gov . From this site you can access statements about current events or pending legislation, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for Nevadans.

A gain, I appreciate your thoughts and i t is an honor to serve you in Congress . Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

obviously, this battle is not won. He barely admits that SOPA was a bad idea and lays all the blame on Lamar Smith. It's just not going to be easy but I'm so very glad and proud that bearded dragon.org was part of this. THANK YOU!
Carrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom