Bearded dragon not looking so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS0104

Original Poster
Hi,

I have about a 6/7 month old dragon, and he’s been great up to now. Past couple days he’s looked really tired and shutting his eyes during the day time, his lights and temperature and humidity is perfect so I’m not sure what’s going on! He’s sat under the basking light as he’s warm enough, I spray him with water and spray his food and bath him to make sure he’s not dehydrated. I think I’m doing all the right things and he’s been fine but today he’s not eating! He never refuses a cricket and every time I offer him one he shuts his eyes doesn’t even attempt to even go for it. I’m so worried can someone help or any advice please I’m desperate!x

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

I have about a 6/7 month old dragon, and he’s been great up to now. Past couple days he’s looked really tired and shutting his eyes during the day time, his lights and temperature and humidity is perfect so I’m not sure what’s going on! He’s sat under the basking light as he’s warm enough, I spray him with water and spray his food and bath him to make sure he’s not dehydrated. I think I’m doing all the right things and he’s been fine but today he’s not eating! He never refuses a cricket and every time I offer him one he shuts his eyes doesn’t even attempt to even go for it. I’m so worried can someone help or any advice please I’m desperate!x
Lighting and surface basking temps are crucial in the tank --- you say they are perfect can you please tell us what exactly your using for lighting ? Brand and bulb and how are you taking your surface basking temps?

JS0104

Original Poster
Lighting and surface basking temps are crucial in the tank --- you say they are perfect can you please tell us what exactly your using for lighting ? Brand and bulb and how are you taking your surface basking temps?
So his hot end is always between 35-38 degrees Celsius, and cool end is always around 23-24 degrees Celsius. All the bulbs and lighting I use is from the Exo-Terra range and I’ve been using it for half a year and never had any issues. I have a digital thermometer each end, I’ll attach pictures of similar ones. I only changed all the bulbs in January so they’re brand new 🤷🏻‍♀️
98BCB26C-08BE-4DDE-8F18-CC140CB85FB5.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So his hot end is always between 35-38 degrees Celsius, and cool end is always around 23-24 degrees Celsius. All the bulbs and lighting I use is from the Exo-Terra range and I’ve been using it for half a year and never had any issues. I have a digital thermometer each end, I’ll attach pictures of similar ones. I only changed all the bulbs in January so they’re brand new 🤷🏻‍♀️ View attachment 68153
Are your bulbs coils?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
Great. so your UVB light is a long tube bulb? It is the T8 Exoterra Reptiglo 10?
How close to your dragon is the tube UVB light?
Please post pictures of him, along with his tank setup pictures, too.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

JS0104

Original Poster
Hello,
Great. so your UVB light is a long tube bulb? It is the T8 Exoterra Reptiglo 10?
How close to your
EC505EC2-494B-41FE-9CBC-91E86DFF7C2B.jpeg
99077A05-6FF9-44BA-9D14-9BA03864B8FD.jpeg
4965C517-DFB3-432B-B33A-E577100B1EE6.jpeg
dragon is the tube UVB light?
Please post pictures of him, along with his tank setup pictures, too.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me! He’s just woke up so he’s not moving much yet but going to let him warm up a bit before trying to feed him, I’ll attach pictures of his set up and the bulb I only replaced in January I kept the box x

JS0104

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me! He’s just woke up so he’s not moving much yet but going to let him warm up a bit before trying to feed him, I’ll attach pictures of his set up and the bulb I only replaced in January I kept the box x
He’s up but still looks tired and refusing food☹️X
A4158BD6-7001-43F4-BF88-9183E5EB3DED.jpeg
23437C2E-5CC6-4452-A3C4-C3F26FB7BA8A.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He’s up but still looks tired and refusing food☹️X View attachment 68179 View attachment 68178
I would recommend changing the basking coil out for a solid clear bright white basking bulb- Exo Terra Intense basking bulb- and I am not sure about the Exo Terra UVB bulbs but I recommend changing the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8 not sure what your using or a Arcadia 12% bulb- those two are very good bulbs - I am thinking the UVB is not putting out enough UVB which will cause lack of eating -- and the basking bulb you want a solid one not a coil -- I would try those and see what kind of behavior you get from him --- let us know the UVB bulb your using they have certain placement and distance for those bulbs and depending the on the screen as well for placement

JS0104

Original Poster
I would recommend changing the basking coil out for a solid clear bright white basking bulb- Exo Terra Intense basking bulb- and I am not sure about the Exo Terra UVB bulbs but I recommend changing the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8 not sure what your using or a Arcadia 12% bulb- those two are very good bulbs - I am thinking the UVB is not putting out enough UVB which will cause lack of eating -- and the basking bulb you want a solid one not a coil -- I would try those and see what kind of behavior you get from him --- let us know the UVB bulb your using they have certain placement and distance for those bulbs and depending the on the screen as well for placement
5536D003-82E1-4025-817B-70CC42C48253.jpeg
9DE66BA5-3524-4209-8A32-3856EEACC624.jpeg

These are the bulbs I have at the moment, but I’ve had them in since beginning of January, so just a bit concerned if it was the bulbs affecting him would it take 2 months for him to change his behaviour? I’ve used these brands since having him as I thought they was well known brands but for him to change behaviour suddenly doesn’t really make sense for it to be the lighting set up? Obviously I could be wrong just trying to make sense of it all before I opt to take him the vets, I offered him a morioworm he’s ate a worm today but won’t touch a cricket. Didn’t wanna offer him another because I know they’re just usually a treat, he won’t even touch his veg either ☹️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 68185 View attachment 68186
These are the bulbs I have at the moment, but I’ve had them in since beginning of January, so just a bit concerned if it was the bulbs affecting him would it take 2 months for him to change his behaviour? I’ve used these brands since having him as I thought they was well known brands but for him to change behaviour suddenly doesn’t really make sense for it to be the lighting set up? Obviously I could be wrong just trying to make sense of it all before I opt to take him the vets, I offered him a morioworm he’s ate a worm today but won’t touch a cricket. Didn’t wanna offer him another because I know they’re just usually a treat, he won’t even touch his veg either ☹️
Ok so he should be getting insects at least 2-3 times per week for a adult - they will not eat if the UVB is inadequate - and yes it can take 2 months before these things show up - please change out the UVB bulb for what I recommended I am thinking the bulb your using is equivalent to a 5.0 which is not enough UVB especially if its placed on the screen they are not strong enough to go thru the screen - so you can get a Reptisun 5.0 but it cant go thru screen either it needs to be placed in the tank and the 5.0 is more geared for aquarium use so I would recommend you do a complete upgrade to a 24" fixture either a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb ---- depending on your screen those can sit on top but the screen needs to be a wide holed type distance and placement for the UVB will depend on that -- your Arcadia bulb is a good basking bulb just make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get a actual surface basking temp - you dont want to cook your dragon

JS0104

Original Poster
Ok so he should be getting insects at least 2-3 times per week for a adult - they will not eat if the UVB is inadequate - and yes it can take 2 months before these things show up - please change out the UVB bulb for what I recommended I am thinking the bulb your using is equivalent to a 5.0 which is not enough UVB especially if its placed on the screen they are not strong enough to go thru the screen - so you can get a Reptisun 5.0 but it cant go thru screen either it needs to be placed in the tank and the 5.0 is more geared for aquarium use so I would recommend you do a complete upgrade to a 24" fixture either a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb ---- depending on your screen those can sit on top but the screen needs to be a wide holed type distance and placement for the UVB will depend on that -- your Arcadia bulb is a good basking bulb just make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get a actual surface basking temp - you dont want to cook your dragon
Okay I’ll invest in some new bulbs with your recommendation, I’ll attach the photo of the placement of my bulbs at the moment do they need altering? It’s a 4ft long viv so the tube lighting only covers about half the viv.. I got a temperature gun today to get more accurate readings which have been fine up to now 🙏
1E784ACC-78D2-4E71-9E7A-1C6A1B6B7080.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay I’ll invest in some new bulbs with your recommendation, I’ll attach the photo of the placement of my bulbs at the moment do they need altering? It’s a 4ft long viv so the tube lighting only covers about half the viv.. I got a temperature gun today to get more accurate readings which have been fine up to now 🙏 View attachment 68198
Ok yes please upgrade your uvb - your uvb has no reflector on it so your uvb rays are bouncing around your tank so to speak he needs those rays directed downward toward him for best uvb rays

JS0104

Original Poster
Ok yes please upgrade your uvb - your uvb has no reflector on it so your uvb rays are bouncing around your tank so to speak he needs those rays directed downward toward him for best uvb rays
Okay fab so invest in a reflector for the tube lights and upgrade the lights, is the basking reflector suitable? Do you think I just keep the basking bulb at the moment and just change the tube light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay fab so invest in a reflector for the tube lights and upgrade the lights, is the basking reflector suitable? Do you think I just keep the basking bulb at the moment and just change the tube light?
Get your uvb as soon as possible- and the basking bulb as well but I would get your uvb first -+ you need that as soon as possible - he's not going to eat w/ out it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom