Bearded Dragon Injured Back left leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just took her to the vet they said that it was a pretty hard bite she is stress but the bones arent dislocated or anything and as for her tail she basicly just need the antibiotic i apply they said i could either use that or buy one from them so i guess the one im using works. the only thing now is time for her to heal and feeding her which i will do so every 1 hour trying to get her to drink eat what so ever i can possible and let her heal thanks ill keep you updated

ziggydoodles

Juvie Member
DorkiTimmy":t35iy27i said:
thats the sand that was already on when she got injured when i got her ofc my friend wasnt thinking right what so and she was placed in sand after she was bitten. my habitat contain of damp towel as of now and yes i know sand can infect her wounds because of all the waste dont worry i dont my study on those all i need to know is what i need to use apply and check up on her to make sure she eats and stay healthy and is no infected all her habitats is now stable nothing will harm her everything is perfectly clean.

Oh, that's great that you got her off of that sand :) I might still be careful with damp towels though, because water raises the humidity in the tank, and that can put your baby at risk for a respiratory infection.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry Zizzy can you explain more to me how it may get respiratory infection? Because if humidity is high all dragon has a chance to recieve this type of infection? Sorry the damp towel that i soak i do not spray or mist it i simply as low as i can drop tiny water on it. and is this only for silk dragon or because she is in pain atm ? how will a dragon recive it lack of heat humidity to high? how to keep it low

ziggydoodles

Juvie Member
Bearded dragons are a desert species, so their bodies are naturally adapted to live in an environment with very low humidity. When water, or anything that's wet, is placed inside their tank, the high heat levels and glass walls will raise the humidity levels. A bearded dragon isn't accustomed to breathing in "damp air" so to speak, so the water molecules in the air irritate their lungs & can cause URIs. Most of the people I've encountered on this site don't even keep water dishes in their beardies' tanks, because of the rise in humidity and the risks.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is it bad then if your dragon is absolute happy without the light on sometimes even tho humid might be a bit high? like my dragon for some reason is happy without the light on sometimes and when i turn on the light his spots turn on his around 8 inch long but sometimes under the light his perfectly happy his in a 20 gallon tank

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Better his lights be left on, better for him to digest his food properly, basking & UVB. At night, lights off is fine, they need dark to sleep. He's really young to be without any lights & if he has a water dish take it out. That way the humidity will decrease. And no misting in the tank, either, or wet substrate, for either of them.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oh no dont get me wrong i have 3 lights on top of him 2 60w bright and night light a 75w inferno basking spot and a 10.0 reptisun uvb and i take him out to bath in the sun too. i turn on light after he eat for him to digest its food and after 2 hours he begins turning black so i turn it off. and after his chilling back to being clear i turn the light back on he immediately turns black and stress therefore yea.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Turn the night light off, he doesn't need it. Make sure his basking spot isn't higher than 108F, it's important that you have a good temp gun or temp guage with probe to get the right basking temps. If it's too hot, he will get upset, but checking the temps is the most important thing. He doesn't need heat at night or any light if it doesn't go under 70F. So please check those temps, it may be too hot for him.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Did you check the temps, make sure the highest spot for basking is no more than 108F, if it's too hot that might be why he gets stressed.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
to Be honest the basking spot is never higher then 100 but then again i have the zilla temperature guage which may be a bit funky he has brach and a spot he could get really really close to the heat which is about 3-4inch away and another cave that is 8 inch lower for it to be warm both on the basking side. Is there any other way to keep humidity down beside turning on lights? My dragon get enough heat i guess but soemtimes humid is just a bit higher? usually in the mid 60-75. But im asking my friend to lend me his so i can make sure my hygrometer is correct so ill let you know in a couple day when i recieve it. Thanks :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You're welcome, you really need to adjust the basking spot so it's at the right temp but no only 3" away, that's too close. 8" is better. They need the heat & the UVB to digest properly & thus to grow. So let me know. The humidity shouldn't be more than 50%, but then again I've never taken the humidity in my dragons tanks and I give them baths every day. They all seem fine. I do have a temp gun, so I know their temps are good. I don't use a tube light, but a Power Sun mercury vapour bulb, it gives off UVB and heat, 160W. I have the bulbs in lamp stands and don't use the tops of the tanks, but then again, I have 5 adults and they can't jump out. Babies are so much less weight that they can jump out, so tops are a bit necessary for young ones. And the size of tank helps, too, I have 40 gallon critter tanks for 4 of them and my biggest male is in a 75 gallon tank, so the humidity is less in this case, too. So does your friend's hygrometer has a temp guage, too? If it doesn't you have to get an Accurite temp guage with probe, they're about $12 & you find them with the outside thermometers at hardware stores or Walmart. You put the probe on the basking spot for 45 min and it will give you a very accurate temp. So make sure this is done as their basking temp is really important for digestion and growth.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright thanks for that i change the light to another area. is 75 watts infared basking spot good how long should i leave that for it to hit the right temperature and humidity in california which is around 60-70F degree? idk i do make sure my dragon gets neough uvb and heat to digest he poops perfectly fin once per day and then eats some more and his active sometimes and sometimes he justs lays around. and for my injured beardie should i leave a night light heat on for her or should i leave on not heat for her during the night what do you suggest i have her downstair so its a bit colder than upstair.?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, I'd leave a night light on for her, as that will help her injuries. I'd also cover her so the light doesn't keep her awake. A soft facecloth will do as a cover. You can cover your other beardie, too, and leave the night light, but he doesn't need extra heat if the room he's in doesn't go under 65F. The basking light would stay on at least 12 hours a day, same as the UVB, then both turned off for the night. How is your little girl doing? I'm glad you took her to the vet. You can get something called Carnivore Care, too, it's got protein plus lots of herbs, vit/min & you can add calcium to it. You just mix it with water & syringe feed, she might like it. I've used it for years on beardies that stop eating bugs, it's always helped as I've always taken in rescues who have needed the extra. I get it from my vet & you keep it refrigerated. I can't think of anything else, but you may need to start force feeding her, by putting the syringe inside her lip to get her mouth to open, then gently putting drops of food in her mouth. I've had to do that, too, to save two babies who were injured by cagemates, losing part of their tails and fingers & toes. One of those babies is now 4 1/2 yrs old, 22" long (with I think about 3" missing from the end of his tail) and 800g! So it is possible to nurse them back to health.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea the cost for vet was quite costly so i gotta cut back on alot of things already as of now she doesnt look to good the vet did ask me if she able to eat welll etc she will recover if not i can let them care for it but it costs alot and i already did check up and x ray sooo yea.... imma try my best myself before anything and hopefully she eats by tomorrow.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I hope so, too, and remember you've done your best. The fault lies with your friend, not you. She's really little and skinny, so taking on a bad bite may not heal up without her eating. So try the force feeding with the syringe with babyfood that you have, see if that works. If not, you've really done all you can. I know how it is with a sick beardie, been there a few times, lost a few, too. I have 5 buried in a friend's garden, 4 girls and a boy, just about killed me to lose them, but they were just too sick; but still have 5 healthy adult males. You do your best & that's all you can do, so good luck & keep in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom