Bearded Dragon Injured Back left leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Happen yesterday my poor silkback bearded dragon got bit by an 8month old bearded dragon while bathing them the silky is only 2months old and got bit on the back leg and tail and is serverly injured but still stand on front to leg

Enclosure bedding damp paper towels fresh water bowl a dish of mix veggies and insect and couple small tiny live dubias temperature cool side 75-80 warm 85-90. enclosure habit is fully equip so no worries on any of those i soak him and etc and mist sometimes. what else should i try heres a picture in the link any thing i can do before i bring to the vet?

http://tinypic.com/r/294s96r/6

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You can soak her in a betadine bath by mixing betadine in a warm bath until it's the colour of weak tea & soaking her for 10 min each time. So you can do the betadine bath twice daily until she gets to the vet. A spot of polysporin cream on the wounds will help, too, after each bath. Just a tiny spot of polysporine & rub it in a bit. Are you getting her to a vet soon? Good for you for getting an appointment as soon as possible, as she really needs a vet, poor baby. Hope she heals up quickly.

Your baby is also too skinny, your hot side is too cold for her, temps should be at least 105F. Don't forget silkies don't have the scales that dragons use to protect their skin, so she needs the heat. Do you have the right UVB tube? It should be a Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12%. Please don't let her bathe with your bigger beardie, the bigger one would look upon her as food because she's so young.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
my apolgizes i just adopted her today from my friend cause he didnt have time to even care for the wounds or anything i have a sandfire one myself but this silkie is just really small and delicate and i do not have any of those to soak her in or apply where should i get from the look of that do you think his leg will be disable or anything? And because she cant move very well im not sure if she wants to be on the cool or hot side of the tank i have a heat pad that right not to hot or cold on the bottom for her it add to the temperature so it should give enough heat my thermo might be a bit off but yea anything else i should try?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My apologies, I didn't realize she wasn't in your care when she got hurt. When doe she see the vet? Also I didn't realize she couldn't really move. It's not your fault she's so skinny, that's your friend's. Yes, the hot side should be a bit hotter, but leave the cool side warm, too, just not as warm as your hot side. I'd be afraid to use an heater of any sort, do you have anything soft, like something made of flannel you can put on her basking spot with her on it? She needs to be kept as warm as possible but like all beardies, it's not good to heat her from the underside. Is her basking spot a flat one? If nothing else, get a soft tshirt, make it into a pad & put her on something flat under the hottest part of the tank. Give her warm baths as often as you can, I'm more worried about her skin, it's so fragile...I hope this helps....and I hope the vet can help her, too.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hahah thanks but dont worry about her skin its perfectly fine the only thing im worry about is her eating and healing that leg of hers. her tail is bitten that it look like it could come off. but this morning she moved a bit to another area with shade but still near the heat source. To the vet im not sure yet i needa find one and see. But atml she looks perfectly fine even if she may be in the pain or things happening in the inside.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good, but still get the Betadine, you can get it at any pharmacy, doesn't cost alot & doesn't need much to get that weak tea colour. Then soak her for 10 min & do this a few times a day. The Betadine will prevent infection. Then put some neosporin or polysporin on the sores, to help rebuild the skin. That's all you can do at this point. And give her babyfood from an oral syringe if she's not eating, as she needs more weight. Is she eating at all? And try to keep her under the heat, as she needs it, you can always keep the rest of the tank at 92, at least it's warm for her wherever she decides to rest. How's she doing now? She may just get better on her own & if there's no infection you might not need to take her to a vet. Let me know how she's doing.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the help she hasn't eaten anything yet but had drank a good amount of water when I was bathing her. She can still move as she move to a new spot this morning but I wasn't able to observe how she moves. Right now the bite mark area shows no infection I clean it daily with a cotton swab with warm water and keeping her area as clean as possible is there any cream that I can apply for rip skin I have some but want to make sure it safe I'll let you know what it is when I get home as for now I'm out at doctors appointment I do have baby nutrition food for bearded dragon so imma try that when I can home and see if she will eat any baby dubia or cricket slightly dusted in calcium

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
can i use bacitracin zinc ointment usp first aid antibiotic? its use for minor cuts scrapes burns to prevent infection so can i apply that?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm sure you can, especially since she won't be licking the wounds anyway. Make sure it's only a tiny bit & that you get it right on the wounds. Glad you're keeping the area clean, the baths are important. Glad she's moving around for you. You need to get her to eat, so if she won't eat normal dragon food, try babyfood chicken & babyfood squash, use an oral syringe, you can get them at a normal vet or at any pharmacy. Get two 5 ml syringes, mix the two together to make it thin, add a big pinch of calcium & a tiny pinch of vit/min & see if she'll eat some. You just put a drop on her nose & let her lick it off. Hope that helps, as she needs protein & some veg. Let me know how that goes.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Another thing you can do is hand feed little crickets, she's be eating the 1/4" onces. You have a dragon, how old is he & what do you feed him for bugs?

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My dragon is 8 inch including tail friendly my dragon eats carrot to celeries to crickets to dubia roaches he eats all sizes a sandfire beardie and yes i have al type of food to try. I have a nutrition bearded dragon mix and i tried using the syringes with it cause its a liquid mix protient and i tried applying around mouth but she wont open at all ): and her left eye idk if its infected or just skin but it has a top part ill take a picture in a moment and show you. but im trying to feed her tiny crickets and roaches that are like sand and some squash and the nutrition mix but she wont eat just siting there now chilling in the heat her front to leg are standing up her back leg doesnt seem to move and is a bit bigger the injured left one getting fatter swollen.... but the color still fine it just a tiny bit bigger. that should be good then knowing its still connected to her right? the bone is broken or anything because she is so brigh i use my laser and light to shine on it and i can kinda see the bone in place im not 100% sure but at least its not like ;asdklfj;sdlf Lol

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
alright i just gave her a 10min warm bath and then she pooped :D? and it was perfectly normal poop then dried and apply the antiobiotics gently around small layer to all cuts.
http://tinypic.com/r/2n1xf9h/6
http://tinypic.com/r/r1ykap/6

picture of her eye the sand on the back i tried removing but was a bit stuck to her and did not want to use for to remove so yea. and the eyes looks like sandy or loose skin im not quite sure cause i have never had a silkie before shes beautiful i apologize for my knowledge but i just had to take her in from my friend and try my best to save her and recover her to healthy!

ziggydoodles

Juvie Member
I just have to ask, how is sand getting into your baby's eye, I thought you said she was living on paper towels in your first post? If you have her living on sand you should remove it right away! Anything that gets into her little wounds could cause an infection, and sand is incredibly dangerous for baby beardies to begin with. I would recommend keeping her on plain white paper towels while her wounds are healing, it will be easy to clean and can't get into her cuts.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thats the sand that was already on when she got injured when i got her ofc my friend wasnt thinking right what so and she was placed in sand after she was bitten. my habitat contain of damp towel as of now and yes i know sand can infect her wounds because of all the waste dont worry i dont my study on those all i need to know is what i need to use apply and check up on her to make sure she eats and stay healthy and is no infected all her habitats is now stable nothing will harm her everything is perfectly clean.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It really is time to get her to a vet, if one of her legs is bigger there is a problem. As for her eye, I'm not sure. Silkies are built a bit different than regular beardies. Can you get her to a vet? She really needs to be seen. I know you're doing your best, but I think her leg is swollen now & could have internal infection. Her eye also needs to be seen. Is there a vet in your area? Keep trying with the food, she needs nutrition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom