Bathing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've never dealt with URI in beardies but after some research it sounds to me like it's a type of accumulation if water in the lungs. So it's like the beardie's version of pneumonia. I'm guessing that beardies can't, well, "dispose" of excess water from them (like our bodies can raise our temperature, but their's can't). That's why it's a bigger deal for them. So, therefore, taking a bath can't hurt them because they don't breathe the water into their lungs (unless they're drinking, but that goes through the esophagus). However, if the humidity is high where they are, then they can get a URI because as they breathe they inhale the air. But that's just guessing. I'd have to ask an exotic vet to make sure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Bathing can be helpful or hurtful. I've raised dragons for over 20 years + hatched 1000's of babies. I never bathed any of the hatchlings, only if they were dirty from their own poo. They all drank when I spritzed them in their plastic rearing tubs, any excess water was wiped up quickly. People are mixing up the idea of " misting" [as you would do a tropical lizard like anoles, some geckos, some chameleons] with giving a small spray that just lets the lizard drink, then evaporates.

As far as dragons developing an R.I, if you look through the threads on this + other forums, the ones that develop them are among the dragons that are bathed. If you Google bearded dragon choked in bath or aspirated water,they will pop up. Aspiration can lead to an R.I. But many dragons never have a problem with bathing and do not get sick.

As far as vets recommending bathing [ even with Pedialyte ] it just got to be one of those things passed on from one to another as the thing to do because of the erroneous thought that beardies take in water through the vent. This doesn't hydrate the beardie. It only gets hydrated from the bath if it drinks in the bath.There are many exotic vets who pass on wrong info [ ie almost all will treat a dragon that has Y.F. or gout with antibiotics ] Some vets will give an unnecessary enema [ sometimes killing the beardie ] if it hasn't poo'd in a week or so. In reality a few natural laxatives will move the bowels.Reptile medicine is a specialized and relatively newer field and vets do not have all the info + as much learning as they do for dogs + cats. A few years back a poster [ Discojan I believe ] asked if her fat , restless dragon was ready to lay eggs.....it was scratching around frantically + looked very fat. I told her that the dragon was showing laying behavior. The owner took her to her vet , vet said no eggs, don't worry about it. The dragon layed eggs either that day or the next. And this vet had credentials as a zoo vet that she posted here on the site. Another poster took her adult male dragon in for tail rot [ different vet ] The vet amputated the tail so far up that the hemi penes were cut off and a bloody stump was left...pics were posted here, they made me cry. There are many more instances of wrong advice given [ to feed a beardie dog food, to feed a baby 2-3 times a week, etc. given by " exotics " vets.

Anyway, the point is that an " exotics " vet may see a few birds, snakes, turtles + lizards but that doesn't mean they know all about each species and way the best way to feed, hydrate, etc.
Of course there are excellent vets out there too and they should be consulted for serious problems, deworming, etc.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
The article in the Reptile Apartment link, in one of the posts above, says that bathing can increase chance of RI "although rare." That was the article link given when I asked if there was any proof. A chance of it rarely happening is not enough for me to discontinue if my dragon accepts bathing and isn't freaked out by it. I do appreciate the word of caution but I still would like more proof than rarely causes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
And I should add that I bathe my adult dragons from time to time, I'm not against it. But if the question is reduced to what is the best way to hydrate, it is through oral hydration and through moisture from their food.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
AHBD. Thanks. Many times I assume people do things my way. I like to research and get as much infomaton as possible before doing something. When someone talks above bathing, I assume they have looked up the things that can go wrong such as aspiration and how to prevent them. I also assume, probably incorrectly, that they know bathing a dragon is more like providing a shallow pan of water not a mini swimming pool and that you have to stay with dragon and watch him for his safety. I'm a little analytical so when I hear bathing causes Ri's, I ask myself is it the actual water or the incorrect process of bathing? It looks like you are saying it's okay as long as done correctly.

As far as exotic vets, I too have had a bad experience with a vet recommend by the reptile department of the nearest zoo. This vet treated dogs, cats, and exotics. I now go to a true exotic vet that has the extra credentials and specialized training and whose practice only treats exotics. I still check out what they say to see if their is a consensus on the prescribed plan of treatment. Vets are like doctors some better than others.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I'll do some more research on the RI's and see their causes. I still think that it's a pneumonia-like "disease," but I'll make sure. There's a really good exotic vet where I live so I'll call them.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom