Babysitting beardie, and he vomitted!! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

A beardie I'm caring for started throwing up. He is a rescue and has preexisting health issues. He's never thrown up before.

He's under a reptisun desert 10.0 uv light and a basking light/heat lamp. Shelf liner for substrate. He refuses greens but will eat worms.

The last time he ate he had 5 worms. Sunday when we got up he had three worms and then refused food.
2 days later, in the morning I found 1.5 piles of watery vomit (complete with worm halves). And there were a few little dried up poops. They look old, but werent there before bed. When I came back a short while later there was a larger vomit pile. His breathing was raspy and he was yawning fairly predictably. When he wasn't gaping, his beard was "flapping". He'd twitch his beard and sound like he was trying to repetively swallow something. His colors are bright, except his beard is jet black and his tail tip is dark.

He slept through the night without incident. Even with my ear up next to him, I hear NO raspy breathing. His colors are normal in his sleep. However, when I disturb him to see if he's still hanging in there- he opens his eyes and starts doing to swallowing thing for a little and thenot falls back to sleep again.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before??

The only time I've seen a dragon vomit was when my own lizard died of organ failure. He vomited any time he ate or drank and the died within a week. So this is scary for me to see when I'm caring for someone else's pet.

ANY help here would be SOOO appreciated!!
<3

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Vomiting and constant black bearding isn't a good sign. He is obviously in distress and should probably see a vet soon. However your hands are somewhat tied as it's not your animal.

Can you get him to eat some baby food or something that is easier to digest than worms? I would be concerned about dehydration if his poop is super dry as well. The spinal deformity may also make it harder for him to digest food if it kinks part of his digestive system, but that's a bit of a guess.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, be sure to keep him hydrated and also warm. Leave him in the tank so he doesn't get chilled , offer water dripped gradually on his snout for a drink. Sugar free baby food would be good too if he'll eat it, and add a bit of extra water.

Were these superworms he ate, and is that his usual diet ? If a dragon is not well and scarfs down large bugs they can then vomit them back up. That may be what happened, especially if he isn't used to superworms. If that's the case. he'll get over it but hydration is very important after they've vomited.

ColdBloodedLove

Original Poster
Hi!
Thanks for the replies.
Today he is doing much better. No black beard or black tail. No more pukes. He is laying in one spot and isn't restless like yesterday.
I just gave him a 10 minute soak in warm water and rubbed his tummy a little. He didn't drink any of the water and he didn't go potty in the bath.
I've tried giving him water from a syringe, either dripping it on his snout or gently squeezing a little between his teeth... he doesn't drink.
I placed a warmer basking bulb in the house to make sure he doesn't get cold after being wet. The one I had in there didn't seem all that warm.

The only thing still troubling me is 1 that he won't drink... and 2 that he still randomly opens his mouth and "yawns". His sides contract/tense up when he's opening his mouth. What does this mean?? I don't see anything stuck in his mouth/throat from what I can see... is he just adjusting after puking yesterday?

I am going to try sugar free baby food tomorrow.
Does anyone recommend a certain flavor beardies like best?? I've never fed baby food before to anything! Haha!

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You can get a chicken or turkey if you want a protein based one, otherwise something with greens (no spinach), peas, squash, or a mix should be fine.

I wish you could keep him, it sounds like he's not well taken care of.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Sounds like your cousin could take some lessons in dragon husbandry and, you need to teach him/her these lessons and, in a hurry. Sounds to me like your cousin is slowly killing this creature. Will he/she be willing to give the dragon to you? I would be sure to ask!

ColdBloodedLove

Original Poster
Gormagon,

I couldn't agree more. And I have tried.

I just want him to get better. I had to go to work and I just hope he's doing okay :(

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Well, I for one hope that they Google this and read it. I don't know how someone could let (much less, join in) their child be so blatantly cruel to an animal of any kind. To imagine an adult going along with this is very disturbing to me! To not even fill it's basic needs is insane.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
To answer your question about the vomiting, I would say it was because he got to much to fast and shocked his system (upset his tummy). In his case you need to go slower on the amount he eats.

ColdBloodedLove

Original Poster
I just found it strange... he only had 8 worms in 2.5 days and puked.

When I had left for work he hadn't had any more pukes piles in the lizard house, but he was still gaping and occasionally going dark on the end of his tail and his whole beard. His sides fluff in and out. It looks like a combination between gagging, hiccuping and coughing. But there's no sound. Just his open mouth and twitching sides. I can't figure out why he keeps doing that. He's never done that before nor have I seen any lizard do that- except for when another lizard was in his last days... he'd gape like that after vomitting. But I had taken him to the exotics vet and they told me he was in multiple organ failure... all his organs were enlarged.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think he is likely having trouble digesting, since he apparently doesn't get anything or much at his other home. As suggested, try either chicken or turkey baby food with either squash or sweet potato baby food. He should like the flavor a lot.
I have to say that I am heart broken & appalled at the animal neglect & abuse that he sustains.
While I don't condone "stealing" him per say, I think at this point, your family would get over it.
I personally think it sounds like he isn't going to make it much longer & am surprised he has made it this long. They obviously don't really care about him anyway. :cry: I simply do not understand what is wrong with people like that.
They are abusing him knowingly which makes them candidates for being turned into an animal welfare type of case, in my opinion. I know you don't want to do that, but the dragon can't speak so someone has to speak for him. He is in sheer hell at your cousins. Why they even want to keep him is beyond me, they wont even give him the basics to live. That is criminal actions in my book.
I apologize, I don't want to upset you, that's just how I feel. We see it all the time & it's so so sad & so unfair. I can imagine the heart break you are going through also.
I hope he is feeling better. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

ColdBloodedLove

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Thank you for your heart felt response.

Your words don't upset me, because I feel the same way.

Once he's awake and warmed up I'll try to feed him.
Do I let him eat as much as he wants? Or stop at some point so I don't overload him again?

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions and support. It's a relief to know other people feel the same way that I do.

I don't like the fact that petsmart has bearded dragons listed as a beginner pet. We bought ours for my sons 14th bday 3.5 yrs ago but I first made sure he researched how to care for but I still do a lot for Bubbles. He is my baby. My son still helps with him but unless the parent is ready to step in you shouldn't let your kid have a pet. So sorry to hear about your cousin beardie!

ColdBloodedLove

Original Poster
I know!!! I don't think any living thing should be given away for money. So many animals from chain stores suffer. I wish that wasn't a thing anymore.

ColdBloodedLove

Original Poster
I got home and he is not black at all! He's asleep on the lizard bed and he propped his own chin up on one of the pillows. It's in the top 10 cutest things I've ever seen <3

I set an alarm to get up in 3 hours and try the baby food. I hope he eats some and it agrees with him!!!

Cross your fingers everyone.
Thanks so much for your posts, your concerns and your supportive words. Animal people really are the best people :) ;) <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom