Babysitting a sickly Bearded Dragon *Updated photos*

Status
Not open for further replies.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Poor little guy. I can't believe he did not see that he was so sickly.

Like the other posters have said maybe he did what a pet store told him.

He may love you for introducing him to this forum, since this is his buddy. The man could get addicted to this site like we are.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us? Are you going to be able to keep him for longer I hope?
Is he still eating well for you? It sounds like he has really started to improve in just a short amount of time due to proper lighting & better nutrition.
Poor guy, he has had it rough. You might be surprised, he may regain enough strength to be able to support his bodyweight one of these days.

Tracie

chasedasea

Original Poster
I was able to keep him for another week. I brought my beardie and showed him what his should look like, I explained that because of the improper care that it will never look great but he is handsome and he will improve and have a better life. Last night the beardie vomited up his crickets so I am going to cut back on the protein again. He is moving around a lot more but he cannot seem to use his front left arm as it bends under when he walks and I think the inability to use his tail is what makes him stay so low to the ground versus standing and walking. He is drinking a lot of water and he will eat any time I offer him food so it has been good. If his tail does not work would it be better to get it removed or is the risk of infection too great?

P.S. Argh, when I brought the beardie to his owner to decide if I should keep him he began manually peeling his flaking skin off, it was not even close to being ready to come off. I wanted to slap his hand but was in shock. When I got home I looked real close and sure enough he has scarring from the owner pulling his peeling skin off.

chasedasea

Original Poster
1happymommy":86f2f said:
He may love you for introducing him to this forum, since this is his buddy. The man could get addicted to this site like we are.

Unfortunately the owner does not have a computer and our library is over 45 minutes away. I am going to print out as much info as I can and make up a menu that he can use. Our town is way out in the boonies and I think this is part of the problem, he cannot afford to go into town as much as you need to get food and supplies. I know he has hibiscus plants at his RV park so I am going to try to see what else he can scavenge for free from our surrounding area.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Pulling off the scales?
Oh my gosh >_<
Is there any hope for this guy to unlearn all of this bad behaviour?

Does he understand yet what bad shape his dragon is in?
Are you any closer to convincing him to part with the dragon?

Thank you for the updates, we're all routing for you.

chasedasea

Original Poster
I went to drop off "Fatboy" today to his owner and he suggested I keep him. I agreed and am now the proud owner of a new bearded dragon, I think he saw how much better he is doing so he knew the right thing would be to give him up. He is doing a lot better; my husband has the camera and is away so I cannot add photos but to put it straight his tail is now moving and he stood up yesterday. His tongue is also on its way to staying in his mouth; I think he lost a lot of water because of it so it should help. Anyway thanks for the moral support and great advice.

Staz

I have just read this thread for the first time from beginning to end. What an emotional rollercoaster! My eyes are welling up badly. Thank goodness you met this man at the bus stop that day, you were obviously meant to rescue that little guy. I hope he is settling in well in his new home and I wish him a speedy recovery. You are a wonderful inspiration, standing up for what is right. I am so happy that his previous owner put "fatboy's" needs before his own. I look forward to reading future updates on this little guy.

WELL DONE YOU!!! :blob5:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hooray!!!! Im so happy to hear that!! Make sure to keep us all posted on his progress (with lots of pics hehe!) Im glad you were able to show his previous owner his potential, and im glad the owner saw what was best for the little guy! Good luck!

T

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I am soooo glad you are getting to keep him. I was worried about the little guy. He should be just fine now though! :blob5: :mrgreen:

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I'm so happy for you. Now that dragon will be so spoiled he won't know what to think.

I can't wait to see pics.

jfm08

Hatchling Member
happiness is all that i can feel for the lil guy :) May God watch over you and your new Beardie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you get to keep the dragon now! Have you named him? I am sure that he was a little upset but at least he relinquished him to you for the dragon's sake. It sounds like he has done alot better now.
Great job.

Tracie

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Hope he is soon a Fat Boy in truth. :D
I'm happy his owner loved him enough to give him up. Many would not admit they were doing anything wrong. Glad he is now in a good home.

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom