Babysitting a sickly Bearded Dragon *Updated photos*

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Oh, god, looking at him just breaks my heart. It might help if, when you give him back, you do a side by side comparison of your healthy girl with his? Maybe he thinks that his beardie is old and thats "just how it is when they get old". (I think other reptiles have shorter lifespans and he might be comparing the 2?) Good luck, I really hope you get through to this guy... Frankly, I don't think I could have hid my disgust/horror and kept from lashing out at the guy when he first handed it over. :(

wizbee

Juvie Member
Well I'm worse than that...Tell him it died and then just keep it.
I know bad but that's what I'd be tempted to do.
Don't hate me. LOL

wizbee

Juvie Member
Gee I can't believe I said that...I suppose he'd just get another one to torture. Better to try and help him out and maybe learn from your excellent care. At least he gets some love for a few days.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
wizbee":2259a said:
Well I'm worse than that...Tell him it died and then just keep it.
I know bad but that's what I'd be tempted to do.
Don't hate me. LOL

I don't blame you, but if she did that, not only would it be dishonest, but what's to keep the man from going out and getting another dragon and treating it the same way because he was never told what he did was wrong?

**Edit** Oh good, you caught yourself! :)

denise v

Maybe the young man really doesn't want the dragon anymore........I would offer to give him a good home....who knows ,maybe he just might say keep him !! Doesn't hurt to ask.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, the poor thing. :cry: Thanks so much for trying to help him. What a huge difference in the size and shape of him in comparison to your healthy beardie. :shock:

MissT is right about giving too much too soon, especially protein because it could overtax his system causing kidney or liver failure. Giving liquid calcium would get it into his system quicker. Here's a link about it: http://www.petmeister.com/item3334.htm Beardies really seem to like the taste of that too and you could mix it with a little Pedialyte and vegetable babyfood. Please be sure to keep him very well hydrated too. Since his temps may have been lacking in his tank before, you might need to keep the temps a little cooler than your healthy beardie. Starting out at 95 and slowly increasing it would probably be easier on him.

Good luck and please keep us updated on him. Sure hope the guy decides to let you have him. But if not, please print out all the caresheets you can find from this forum and give him the link to here also.

chasedasea

Original Poster
denise v":1906e said:
Maybe the young man really doesn't want the dragon anymore........I would offer to give him a good home....who knows ,maybe he just might say keep him !! Doesn't hurt to ask.

He is in his mid forties with no wife or children, I think that the beardie is his only buddy. He was telling me how he leaves Spongebob on for him when he is at work and was so upset when I left with Fatboy. I am going to ask to keep him for awhile longer, I was thinking of telling him that his beardies appetite was coming back by watching all of my lizards eat :wink: . I do want to educate him though and I think he knows something is wrong so we will see.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you been giving alot of oral fluids yet? As suggested, that would be the best thing, & just go very easy on the protein. As mentioned, it will take too much energy for digestion, pulling too much fluid from the system causing renal function to become impaired. You can use pedialyte or the Repta aid to help with hydration. So he is doing pretty well right now? I would give him a few days to make sure he had adequate urate outputs before letting him go all out with the protein. He should enjoy the green slurries from a dropper or syringe.
Great you have him under a UVB right now. I am sure he will improve greatly with you.
Educating the owner if he is willing will go a long way. Great you are helping out with his boy.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

chasedasea

Original Poster
I have been following everyones advice, back off on protein, supplemented veggie babyfood with Rep-Cal, calcium with Vit.D3, pedialyte and a warm water soak. I kept the UVB with no heat on him overnight but he was able to get away if he wanted so I doubt it messed up his schedule to bad. I think he looks better and he actually got a little frisky in the bath. I know there is still a long way to go and this process could hurt him but I think it worth the risk.
136.jpg

137.jpg

135.jpg

I put these on the first thread also so everyone can compare.

FJM

Hatchling Member
*POSSIBLY* he's going on advice he received at the petstore and never thought to do any other research :banghead: He may really appreciate some guidance if this is his buddy and cares enough about him.

Or maybe suggest adopting him after explaining a beardies necessities. He may be overwhelmed and just want to leave him in good hands (??)

His pictures brought tears to my eyes, what a shame!

chasedasea

Original Poster
Well, I talked to the owner this morning and offered to keep him for a month. He will let me know this afternoon, cross your fingers. The beardie is looking a lot better and his energy level is pretty good. I have a feeling he will not be able to walk like a normal beardie though, he can get around but it is more of a drag, but we will see. His appetite is doing great and I have been slowly adding protein, his poop and urates are looking good also. I had one scary day were I thought we may lose him, he sounded like he was barking (like a mouse), it was very faint. He only did it for about five to ten minutes and it was after he was drinking water so I guess it went down the wrong tube.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Poor little guy!
I hope if you can't keep him for awhile longer, that the man takes your suggestions to get him healthier.

Good for you for trying to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom