Baby Not Eating! *HELP!!!!* NOW HE PUKED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi! So I bought the solar glo 125W with a porcelain wire clamp lamp that the store clerk told me I needed for the MVB. She said that other wise they get too hot. Is this true? I mean I had a ceramic/metal(?) one that I have been using (and have used with an infared bulb) that I could use. The wire clamp lamp was almost the same price as the bulb!!!

Should I use it or return it?
This is a pic of the one I bought. Click on the link to see what I mean.
http://www.everythingforpets.com/exo_terra_porcelain_wire_clamp_lamp.pet/use.id.5.item_id.6361.dept.7/

ALSO>>>> Sherman is quite dark. He has dark lines all over his back that I have NEVER seen before? Are these stress marks or him flaring his colors? It seems wierd that he would just start that now...although he was poked and prodded by the vet today too.

I am going to my overnight shift job tonight and I was told that I could bring my beardie. Otherwise I would be leaving in an hour or so and not returning until about 4pm tomorrow. Is this okay to move his ENTIRE tank with me?? Even with all of the changes we are doing to it adding the MVB?

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would need to take him with me as there is no one here to bath him in the morning and forcefeed him his meals during the time I am away. Hubby has to leave at 6am for work and doesn't feel comfortable forcefeeding. So ....what are my options at this point? Not much. The race is on to get the wooden addition made and attached to the tank. Then I have to leave!!!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok so you got the 125 soalr glo?Thats good but be very careful about watching those temps.I am still a bit worried about using an MVB in a tak so small.Hubby sounds very clever.As for the wire mesh clamo,actually I wouldnt use that because it wont cover the sides of the bulb which will be a problem since you want as much of the uvb and heat pinpointed down not to mention expose you and your family to UVB.If your other clamp lamp is ceramic and rated to withstand the wattage then it would be fine to use.May I make a suggestion about taking him with you?If you have a rubbermaid bin you can just make a portable tank out of that and simply clamp the lamp to the top of the bin and just grab your thermometer and a basking rock for him to sit on.I think that would probably be safer then playing around with moving him and the tank.What time will you return in the morning that you have to take him with you?

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have one of those silver coated light reflector domes with a ceramic socket. Is this okay? It says on the socket 250V 660W. It DOES NOT have a ceramic dome. I used it for an infared bulb for my leopard gecko a few years ago.

I have the overnight shift tonight until 6am and then another job (working at a vet clinic) every Saturday from 9am-3 or 4pm. I just called another girl and got her to work my overnight shift. Now we can stay at home tonight and I can feed him and bath him before I go to my 9am job. Then I will only be gone 1/2 a day and back to feed him again.

The wooden addition is almost finished!! I hope that this works. How far away should the actual bulb (not the dome) be away from his basking spot? 12 inches away? OR should I remove his basking rock and just put a towel down or a ricesock or something. I think that hubby built the top to be another 12 inches from the top of the 12 inch glass tank.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
bdgal":a84db said:
I have one of those silver coated light reflector domes with a ceramic socket. Is this okay? It says on the socket 250V 660W. It DOES NOT have a ceramic dome. I used it for an infared bulb for my leopard gecko a few years ago.

I have the overnight shift tonight until 6am and then another job (working at a vet clinic) every Saturday from 9am-3 or 4pm. I just called another girl and got her to work my overnight shift. Now we can stay at home tonight and I can feed him and bath him before I go to my 9am job. Then I will only be gone 1/2 a day and back to feed him again.

The wooden addition is almost finished!! I hope that this works. How far away should the actual bulb (not the dome) be away from his basking spot? 12 inches away? OR should I remove his basking rock and just put a towel down or a ricesock or something. I think that hubby built the top to be another 12 inches from the top of the 12 inch glass tank.
Well thats good that you dont have to go to work tonight.As for the dome if its a ceramic fixture rated 250watts then its fine.There is no need to worry about the dome itself being ceramic its the socket that has to be.The bulb has to be 12 inches between the beardie and the bulb so keep that in mind when your setting up the bulb.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I gave Sherman a bath this morning (which lasted about 1.5 min) as he pooped yellowish diahrrea (maybe urine too) in the bath. All it took was one good below rub and "there she blows!!"

He did lick some more a/d from a syringe this morning and then I put him back into this tank with about 4 dusted crix. He wasn't even the littlest bit interested! They were crawling between his feet in front of his face...I mean...if he wanted to get them...it wouldn't have been hard! But absolutely no interest. Gr....it is so frusterating!!

Sherman is trying out his new 125W solarglo MVB this morning. We left it on all night and put sherman in an extra large rubbermade bin next to our bed. He was so cozy all snuggled up in blankets...I had to wake HIM up!

What can I do to make him more interested in the crix? If he puked 2 days ago...shouldn't he be hungry by now? Is he waiting for butterworms that aren't coming? I may be able to get phoenix worms this weekend (or possibly monday the supplier said). Should I try him on those?

Maybe he is being filled up with the 5 or 6 licks of a/d food he eats? Hmmm....What to do? What to do?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
bdgal":c9a26 said:
I gave Sherman a bath this morning (which lasted about 1.5 min) as he pooped yellowish diahrrea (maybe urine too) in the bath. All it took was one good below rub and "there she blows!!"

He did lick some more a/d from a syringe this morning and then I put him back into this tank with about 4 dusted crix. He wasn't even the littlest bit interested! They were crawling between his feet in front of his face...I mean...if he wanted to get them...it wouldn't have been hard! But absolutely no interest. Gr....it is so frusterating!!

Sherman is trying out his new 125W solarglo MVB this morning. We left it on all night and put sherman in an extra large rubbermade bin next to our bed. He was so cozy all snuggled up in blankets...I had to wake HIM up!

What can I do to make him more interested in the crix? If he puked 2 days ago...shouldn't he be hungry by now? Is he waiting for butterworms that aren't coming? I may be able to get phoenix worms this weekend (or possibly monday the supplier said). Should I try him on those?

Maybe he is being filled up with the 5 or 6 licks of a/d food he eats? Hmmm....What to do? What to do?
Glad to hear he had a cozy nights rest.You really want to make sure he has some probiotics to help cool his tummy down especially if he is having loose stool.How is he doing with the Solar Glo?As for the crix there really isnt anything to do but just offer them daily and hope he takes them.It is possible he has grown tired of them as well and may need a break from them so just try offering worms instead.I knew you were going to get Phoenix worms,any luck?

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The phoenix worms I bought a few weeks ago I put in the fridge (***** mommy!) I was going to place an order for phoenix worms Monday. Someone else in the city was mentioning that there may be some in at a local reptile shop this week also. So...we will see what comes first...they keep for a while, don't they (as long as they aren't in the fridge?)!!!

Sherman still won't eat on his own. I switched to the carnivore care because it had 45% protein and much higher levels of calcium than the a/d canned food the vet prescribed. I will probably switch between the two. No poops since this morning. I put him in the office this afternoon and he ran around like a "wild child"!! It was good to see him do that! It was a first for me as I have been afraid that he would get into something...even with supervision he tried to!! We don't really have an open room that he can run freely in (where cats and dogs couldn't get him!!)

I did not get the probiotic. What type of yogurt is ok? soy yogurt? I wonder if our grocery store even carries that. I will post if something new happens. I hope that he is just being fed up with crickets. One local reptile breeder told me that I should NOT syringe feed him but keep tossing crix in and soon he will get hungry enough to eat. I am not sure if this is ok. The vet told me to keep the nutrients in him...but at the same time he seems less impressed with the crix more than ever!!! Geez!!

So far the MVB hasn't burned the house down. He really seems to be liking the heat. His cool side is still staying below 85F and his hot side fluxes between 101-105F. I also put up more climby things and he has been hopping all over them...from the cactus to the cave to the ledge to the log....I will try to post a pic a bit later of the new "layout".

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
bdgal":411da said:
The phoenix worms I bought a few weeks ago I put in the fridge (***** mommy!) I was going to place an order for phoenix worms Monday. Someone else in the city was mentioning that there may be some in at a local reptile shop this week also. So...we will see what comes first...they keep for a while, don't they (as long as they aren't in the fridge?)!!!
They really only last a week or two.Keep them in a cool(unrefridegerated place)dry place and they will keep for a bit.
Sherman still won't eat on his own. I switched to the carnivore care because it had 45% protein and much higher levels of calcium than the a/d canned food the vet prescribed. I will probably switch between the two. No poops since this morning. I put him in the office this afternoon and he ran around like a "wild child"!! It was good to see him do that! It was a first for me as I have been afraid that he would get into something...even with supervision he tried to!! We don't really have an open room that he can run freely in (where cats and dogs couldn't get him!!)
I do prefer the carnivore care over the A/D myself so thats good.It is noce to see them run,isnt it?
I did not get the probiotic. What type of yogurt is ok? soy yogurt? I wonder if our grocery store even carries that. I will post if something new happens. I hope that he is just being fed up with crickets. One local reptile breeder told me that I should NOT syringe feed him but keep tossing crix in and soon he will get hungry enough to eat. I am not sure if this is ok. The vet told me to keep the nutrients in him...but at the same time he seems less impressed with the crix more than ever!!! Geez!!
Yes SOY yogurt is what you need.Stonefield farms makes a good one and mone prefer blueberry.I get it at my local stop and shop but I have heard Walmart carries it as well.The Walmarts by me do not have supermarkets so I cant be sure of this.
So far the MVB hasn't burned the house down. He really seems to be liking the heat. His cool side is still staying below 85F and his hot side fluxes between 101-105F. I also put up more climby things and he has been hopping all over them...from the cactus to the cave to the ledge to the log....I will try to post a pic a bit later of the new "layout".
The only issue I see is the cool end is about 5-10 degrees to hot.I prefer 75-80F to realy give them a good gradient to cool off in.I think I already posted about this in your other thread.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So this morning i gave sherman a bath and he sat nice and quietly for about 3 minutes. Then he started to get aggitated...then poop!!
It is still very light in color but today it was more "soft formed" poo than diahrrea!!! This is really gross...but exciting...anyhoo here is a pic...
IMG_4938.jpg

I think it is so light in color because that is almost the exact same color as the CARNIVORE CARE food supplement I have been syringe feeding him with. I really wish he would start to eat on his own...or even start to show a littlebit of interest. I will getting phoenix worms this week..just not too sure when the shipment will arrive. Should I order silk worms too? Do they come in small? Does anyone else's baby beardie like them?

He was not interested in the syringe food this morning. Maybe because his lights had only been on for 45 minutes. I will try again in a few hours. Right now he is busy basking. So...is this progress?

SIDENOTE: I weighed Sherman on Friday and he was 29 grams. Yesterday at about the same time he was 31 grams, but I think it may be because I had syringe fed him a few licks already that day (that is all he really eats in a feeding...just a few licks...then refuses to open his mouth and lets it just run down his beard). I will weigh him again about the same time today. Hopefully he doesn't lose any! He is small enough as is!!

Also, I am going to start the deworming treatment today and see if I can find some soy yogurt to help calm his tummy.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sherman ate a few more licks of Carnivore Care for lunch today. Maybe .2 or .3 ml worth which is good. His weight is back to 29 grams when I weighed him today. He is now sitting directly under the MVB on this basking log and is all fired up (with those blue marks under his chin and belly again). Going to the store soon to try to find the yogurt.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No poop this morning at bath time...but I did find a cricket head on the tile?? Does that mean he maybe at a cricket overnight??

Also........SHERMAN ATE ONE CRICKET THIS MORNING FOR HIS MOMMY!!! I tossed a few little guys into his tank and they started to run all over. One crossed over his feet and MUNCH!! He ate it!! Then more kept walking through his feet, in front of his face, etc. etc. and nothing. No more interest. At least he ate one!!

I have ordered medium sized phoenix worms and they will be here Wed afternoon. Wish me luck!! I really want him to start eating on his own. Should I still be syringe feeding him the carnivore care or do you think that if he gets hungry enough he will eat some crix on his own? I don't want him to starve himself...would he do that? Or would the hunger pains win over his stubborness and he will eat? Anyone with experience with this??

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
:D Well thats good news that he ate the crix.I would still give him the carnivore care but offer him live food first and then offer the carnivore care.You dont want him to go down hill by weaning him off of it too soon.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The phoenix worms arrived today and Sherman devoured 23 of them so far today!! Yahoo! No more syringe feeding!! But I also took a fecal sample to the vet and they found coccidia and worms. The worms they said will be treated with the Safeguard dewormer (once every 2 weeks for 4 treatments) and now he is on an "antibiotic"(?) for the coccidia (once a day for 7 days). Hopefully this will clear up his diahrrea and will eat TONS of phoenix worms, get a nice fat buddha belly on him and we can all be merry!!

I have definitely been stressed out with this little booger! Mooshu had better get better soon!! Its time to finally just ENJOY him and not worry so much about him!!! Thanks for all of the support and advice thus far. I am sure there will be plenty more to come...but I just want to show my appreciation for those whom have listened and advised me so far. THANK YOU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom