Baby Not Eating! *HELP!!!!* NOW HE PUKED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
bdgal":df120 said:
The red probe usually does sit on the ledge. I just opened the tank to take pics of the vomit and didn't reposition it properly. The ledge actually isn't under the basking light. The "rock" on the bottom of the cage is directly under the spot light. The ledge only gets a little bit of light/heat from the basking light but it is on the back wall and the basking light is towards the front of the tank. Like I said before...the ledge only gets to be about 85-95F.
Ok good that it rests on the surface.Remember you want a basking surface temp of 95-110F.For the babies it should be on the higher end of the spectrum so if its only 95F you will want it a litte higher then that.

I ran to the supermarket just now and bought more veggie babyfood jars as well as the Chicken with Broth jar. It was the only one with plain chicken in it. I did see one that was veggies and turkey (no additives) would this also be good for protein?
Both the chicken or Turkey babyfood will work great.
I made up the Slurry with about 2tbs of squash, 1tsp of chicken, a little bottled water, and a sprinkle of the calcium with Vit D. He didn't want to lick it off my finger this time. So I used a small syringe without the needle) and he actually ate from it! He only ate about 0.3ml until he turned away. I don't want to push him as I know he just puked.
Thats excellent considering his tummy us obviously upste you dont want to push it and I am happy he ate it on his own!
I did not get the last post in time and didn't get any soy yogurt. I will check tomorrow to see if our supermarket carries any. Should I still give it tomorrow?
Yes go ahaid and give it to him.

I don't have a food scale, so I am going to go to walmart tomorrow to pick one up. Then I will weigh him to find out how much to feed him at each feeding. So the rule of thumb is 0.5ml per 50 grams of body weight 2-3x per day?
Tonight I am going to leave his basking light on a little longer so that he can digest that little bit of slurry I gave him. I will probably turn it off in an hour or so. Is this okay? How long after they eat do they need to "heat up" for? to digest the food I mean.
Thats correct until you can get a scale just estimate.At his size .5 should be fine.
So should I lay off the crix tomorrow too (not like he is eating any right now anyways), but should I even try to give him any? How long do I stay on the forcefeed slurry for? If he poops...is this a good sign? He did have a nice big bowel movement and urination this morning. I hope that I see another one tomorrow morning. If not should he go to the vet?
No crix until he is pooping properly.You can still offer regular veggie but just make sure its diced finely.
Thank you so much for the wonderful advice. I don't know what I would be doing right now without it!! Probably going to the veterinary emergency clinic and paying $250 for an exam (I have a cat that is a regular....he has literally cost me almost $10,000!!)
Your vey welcom.I hope he turns around quickly for you so the vet can be avoided.Keep us posted on how he is doing.If you see him decline any further then I would get him to the vet but if he is making improvements then hopefully it can be avoided.After he starts to poop normally you can switch to some soft bodied worms like phoenix worms or silk worms.For the time being stay away from teh butters some beardies can have an issue with them when they are babies.Its uncommon but can happen.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just went to check on him and I think he had some diahrrea. It looks like the slurry but a bit darker...and more like poo than foamy vomit....but I can't be positive. Does this mean that some stuff could be passing? Would he poop that fast after being fed?

I am going to turn his lights off now and put him to bed. I want to cuddle with him so bad because my baby is sick. But I think it is better if he just rests right now in his safe home.

I will try to find more phoenix worms in the city (but I doubt I will find any) and I will stick with the baby food slurry for a few days. If he doesn't have a normal poop in the next day or so...then he is going to the vet!!

I really hope he is ok!! I have only had him for a week and he is already sick (thanks to mommy giving him all of those butters). Should I expect hard/normal stool if he is on the slurry diet?

Oh yeah...his rock basking spot is around 108F and his ledge is about 85-95F That way he has two choices (besides the cooler side of the tank also). I am going to go buy the food/weigh scale tomorrow! I hope he is ok. I feel absolutely terrible. I knew something was wrong with him today when he was not eating anything.
Should I be giving him a few baths throughout the day to keep him hydrated (due to the vomitting and diahrrea) or just once a day still?

msmaui

Juvie Member
I'm so sorry to hear that your baby is sick. Babies can sure be sensitive some times. As far as his baths go, yes, I would give him at least a couple a day because of his vomiting. You could even get some plain pedialyte and give him a little of that. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Nancy

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yup! I cleaned his basking log and it was definitely poop! That smell is toxic!! WOW!
Currently sherman is sleeping standing up right against the glass on his ledge. Very cute btw!

When one of my Whites Tree frogs was sick I looked for pedialyte. Unfortunately all I could find was flavored kind. Where is the best place to buy/find it?

I feel so terrible for giving him butterworms. He just LOVED them and would eat them up so fast. I thought they were safe if they were small enough. So..if he had diahrrea..is that sort of a good sign that at least things are passing? I will feed him more slurry tomorrow for breakfast...then I am going to look for a food scale, plain pedialyte, phoenix worms....anything else?

Let me know if I am forgetting anything. I hope he is going to be okay. Is this fairly common for babies? To get sick easily/over eat/get impacted? I am having a minor panic attack right now!! I just want him to be healthy and safe...at least I should be doing all that I can to make sure that he is healthy and safe...and not getting sick/impacted from eating butters!!

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No poop yet this morning but the lights just went on...he is still sleeping on his ledge (but peered at me when he noticed I was staring at him!) Come on buddy...give me a nice solid poopie!!!

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Still no poop. He ate about another 0.3ml of slurry. Now he is on his basking rock. When should I get really worried and take him to the vet? I am totally freaking out here!!

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I gave Sherman a warm bath and tummy this afternoon and still nothing. I also tried to feed him again but he seems less interested. He maybe licked some off his lip only a couple of times. Should he go to the vet? I think that my reptile vet is available only on Tues and Sun. Maybe I could find another one.

I do have this stuff called CARNIVORECARE that I was using to forcefeed my sick frogs. Should I try that for Sherman? Here is a link to the product and list of ingredients. They also have one called CRITICAL CARE which is for herbivores.
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/carnivore_care

He is just pancaked on his basking rock, but I am sure he will be up on his ledge in no time (his favorite spot to be).

How much longer should I wait until I try to find a vet?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i do not know of that stuff. If you feel the need then get him to the vet. you are the one there with him so youwould know best

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I have decided to take him to the vet. I don't want him to suffer anymore due to his stupid mother's mistake. I will let you know how it turns out when I get back!

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Took him to the vet. He only weighs 30 grams!! So they palpitated his tummy and there didn't seem to be anything blocking. He also had another diahrrea just before we left the house (which makes vet think that he is not impacted).

She gave me a liquid dewormer that I am supposed to be giving once every 2 weeks for 4 treatments. She also gave me a can of A/D cat/dog canned food that is high in calories and promotes eating.She said to be feeding him about 3ml throughout one day. He was very active and running around the vet office so she felt that he wasn't looking so bad. As soon as we got into the car he passed out. Tired little bugger!!

She also informed me that neither strip light nor coiled UVB lights are recommended by vets and that ONLY the MVB should be used (especially being a baby). But i was told on this forum NOT to use a MVB in a tank any smaller than a 40G. Unfortunatly it may be a few weeks before he is upgraded into the new enclosure we are building.

The vet also told me to keep trying to feed crix (even if I have to remove the legs for a couple of feedings to get him eating again). Apparently if they don't keep hunting than they expect to be syringe fed FOREVER!! That is not happening here!!!

So what do you guys think? What should I be doing about the lighting?? Why is it dangerous to use an MVB in a 20G tank?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
bdgal":ec22b said:
Took him to the vet. He only weighs 30 grams!! So they palpitated his tummy and there didn't seem to be anything blocking. He also had another diahrrea just before we left the house (which makes vet think that he is not impacted).
The vet is correct.I was thinking it may have been that butter worm that blocked him up and instead of passing it he vomitted it up but I didnt want to make any assumptions until I saw an actual bowel movement.
She gave me a liquid dewormer that I am supposed to be giving once every 2 weeks for 4 treatments. She also gave me a can of A/D cat/dog canned food that is high in calories and promotes eating.She said to be feeding him about 3ml throughout one day. He was very active and running around the vet office so she felt that he wasn't looking so bad. As soon as we got into the car he passed out. Tired little bugger!!
Why did she give you those meds?Did she do a fecal or was she basing it on the liquidy BM's?Which one did she give?BTW The A/D is fine but truthfully I actually prefer the oxbow carnivore care myself but since he vet recommended the A/D then I guess go with that.
She also informed me that neither strip light nor coiled UVB lights are recommended by vets and that ONLY the MVB should be used (especially being a baby). But i was told on this forum NOT to use a MVB in a tank any smaller than a 40G. Unfortunatly it may be a few weeks before he is upgraded into the new enclosure we are building.
Actually she is pretty much right that the MVB beats even the best fluorescent by miles but you really cannot use it with anything less then 40 breeder.You could try and get a reptile lamp stand and see if you can make it work that way but you would be taking a risk.Its not that easy to get it at the right distance and temp in anything smaller.The ReptiSUN 10.0 is actually a pretty decent bulb but if you want to be super careful change it out every 4 mos instead of 6mos or you could just move to the bigger tank early and just use the MVB.Either way it would be fine.
The vet also told me to keep trying to feed crix (even if I have to remove the legs for a couple of feedings to get him eating again). Apparently if they don't keep hunting than they expect to be syringe fed FOREVER!! That is not happening here!!!
Yes that can happen.I just wanted to make sure heppoped before you gave him anymore.You can also put the crix in the fridge for a minute or two.This slows them to a near crawl and he may eat them more willingly just make sure they are the right size.
So what do you guys think? What should I be doing about the lighting?? Why is it dangerous to use an MVB in a 20G tank?
The reason why it can be dangerous is because the MVB emits very strong uvb and has a distance requirement of 12-24 inches depending on the bulb wattage between the beardie and the bulb.Any closer could cause serious issues and even radiation poisoning.They truly are fantastic but I wouldnt risk it in a 20 long.All of my babies were raised on ReptiSuns until they were big enough for the 40 breeder and then I switched them over to the Megaray MVB.No doubt a better bulb by miles!

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hubby just got home from work and he is now building me a "wood top" that will stand about another 12 inches above the tank that I can attach an MVB to. Will this be okay? The tank will still only be 12 inches deep but now the light can be 24 inches tall (minus the space of the light fixture) and is still only 30 inches long. We are going to have doors in the front to access the new hood and no screen anymore between the light and the glass tank. Should I just get a regular florescent bulb for the other side? I mean for extra lighting..or will just the MVB be sufficient enough?

Should I get the Exo Terra Solar Glo or the MegaRay? I just don't want the mega ray to be too strong.
I jsut called the pet store that keeps mega rays in stock and they are currently sold out. So should I get the solar glo 125W or 160W?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, it sounds like your hubby is getting clever. :p I certainly wouldn't get a 160 watt MVB as that would definitely be too strong for a 20 gallon tank even at a further distance away and would make it too hot. You could get the Solar Glo or a T-Rex. The T-Rex is just about as good as the Megaray but make sure you only get a 100 watt. Here, you can get it for a very reasonable price. http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-heat-bulbs/503619/t-rex-active-uv-heat-flood-spot-lamps.html If you order it before 4/27 and type the word "FIVE" in the discount box, you can get 5% off your order, no minimum required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom