Baby Beardie Still Not Eating- Please Help!

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
Apologies in advance for the lengthy post—I'm hoping someone here has had a similar experience and can advise me on what to do. We've had our baby Brea for a little over three weeks. I've posted pictures of her enclosure below; specs are included in my profile but the basics are as follows: Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO tube in her enclosure, Arcadia 100W halogen for basking and 100W CHE for additional heat. Measuring temps with infrared temperature gun and thermometer with probe. Basking spot is 105-110F, warm side ambient temp is 90F, cool side is 80F. Humidity is 30% on warm side, 40% on cool side.

For the first two weeks we had her, everything was going great. She was eating lots of dubias enthusiastically and some collard greens. About a week ago, the temperatures dropped significantly in our area and the Arcadia wasn't cutting it- for a few days, basking spot was about 95, ambient temp on warm side around 80. I have since corrected this by adding in the CHE for additional warmth and putting in additional log so she could climb closer to the heat source.

Starting the weekend before last, she stopped eating entirely. After three days of that, that Monday I took her to the vet who said she looked otherwise healthy but was dehydrated. He gave her fluids and tube fed her and she perked up. But then she still wouldn't eat so on Thursday we took her back to the vet. She got another tube feeding and the doc said she had lost a gram. The vet suggested waxworms as a treat and on Friday I got her to eat two waxworms, which felt like a big victory. She has only pooped twice in the last week. She wouldn't eat over the weekend, and I have tried tong feeding, leaving the room, hand feeding, feeding outside and feeding in a separate container. Since Saturday I've been giving her Repta-Boost in a syringe and she does seem to really like that. She is very chill and will lick my hand as I give it to her. I've been bathing her daily so she doesn't get dehydrated although I can't get her to drink.

We got her from an exotic pet store locally. I have gone back since to look at her siblings, and most of them seemed healthy, although there were a bunch housed together (around 12) and there were a couple that were clearly being bullied out of resources. When we got Brea, she was the healthiest and most active-looking one of the clutch.

I really like our vet a lot, my only issue is that I feel like I haven't been given much practical advice on how to get her to eat on her own again. To my understanding our temps are good now. Brea is always alert and supporting herself, but she doesn't move around much in her enclosure—she pretty much stays under the basking spot or very near it. She's never had a black beard, although there are times I can tell she's stressed (breathing rapidly). At first she was growing quickly but now that has clearly stalled. If anyone has gone through something similar, could you please tell me what you did to help your beardie get better? I love her so much and don't want to lose her.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 110

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just bathing won't hydrate her and can cause skin problems if done to much. My suggestion is to get an eye dropper to drop it on her snout and see if she will drink. If she won't add just a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. Be sure to wash her face with a wet towel afterwards, you don't want to take a chance if the juice causing bacteria to grow in her sscales. What all are you trying to feed her? You might try crickets if you haven't, they move A LOT more than dubias and beardies are motivated by movement. I know cricket suck and i HATE to but ut might get her eating again. It's Better to feed in a different place than her habitat, crickets that get missed will bite her at night.
Oh i forgot to mention, don't force the water and be patient and go slow, there is a risk of aspiration if you go to fast.

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
This is super helpful, thank you. Right now, I'm just trying to feed her dubias, waxworms, and greens. As well as the Repta-Boost which I'm giving her via syringe. Not gonna lie, I really don't want to deal with crickets, but you're not the first to mention it, so we'll give it a try! What do you recommend for a container for feeding crickets in? We have some large tupperwares, but I know she wouldn't get much traction in there. I have dropped water on her snout, though i've yet to see her lick that off. i will try again with some non-citrus fruit juice.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
When i did feed crickets i used an old 10 gallon tank when they were still small, when they got bigger i just used a plastic tote.
You can try other feeders also, superworms, black soldier fly larva, silkworms are extremely nutritious hornworms are great for hydration. You have to be careful with the silks and horns they will start refusing everthing else, they really get addicted to them. The hornworms will cause very runny poops if fed as a staple.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
When i did feed crickets i used an old 10 gallon tank when they were still small, when they got bigger i just used a plastic tote.
You can try other feeders also, superworms, black soldier fly larva, silkworms are extremely nutritious hornworms are great for hydration. You have to be careful with the silks and horns they will start refusing everthing else, they really get addicted to them. The hornworms will cause very runny poops if fed as a staple.
Actually, BSFL is one of the best staple feeders you can use. They're high in calcium, and beardies love the way they wiggle.

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
Actually, BSFL is one of the best staple feeders you can use. They're high in calcium, and beardies love the way they wiggle.
Yes, BSFL were recommended to me and i'm definitely going to give them a try. Thankfully, things are going much better with Brea! The Fluker's Repta-Boost really helped! She's filled out significantly and is way more active. Yesterday she ate 6 dubia and a wax worm on her own! My main concern going forward is keeping her from getting dehydrated again. She's not great yet about eating vegetables and I've yet to entice her to drink water. Any thoughts on that would be most appreciated!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom