Are these statements true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I was cruising the internet and found some information, I do not think this information is in my database (brain LOL).
Are these statements true?

#1 : Egg Binding – This is present in females who produce unfertilized eggs.

Only unfertilized eggs?

#2 : Yellow Fungus Disease – Antibiotics that treat internal parasites also kill all the good bacteria in our beardies. With no bacteria to keep yeast levels manageable, yellow fungus develops and can spread to other lizards that come in contact. The animal begins have yellow spot/areas on the skin, often starting in the vent area.

#3 : Mites – Small black external parasites

I thought they were more commonly red?

About #1, from what I know about beardies and birdys, laying eggs takes a lot of the female's calcium supply for the shell, and is unnecessary calcium loss. When the egg binding is on an unfertilized egg, you just need to worry about the extra calcium for the female to avoid other bone/reproductive damage.

As far as I know, mites are black but reeeeealy tiny.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Esther19":36wmkufa said:
Oh, and the mites around my house are red.
Well I know that the most common mite that a bearded dragon would encounter is a snake mite. These are usually red in color.. ehh?

Oops...
It appears I have some know-ing to get farther. :study: :study: :study: :study:

By the by, are all mites red? I may be confusing them for another small bug...

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
LeapinBeardie":ib1jikc7 said:
Oops...
It appears I have some know-ing to get farther. :study: :study: :study: :study:

By the by, are all mites red? I may be confusing them for another small bug...

No I do not think all mites are red but, I thought I was sure snake mites were red. LOL
I know not to believe everything I read, hence my effort to prove or disprove these statements. :wink:

There we go......
67848mites_gross_appearance.JPG

Gail

BD.org Addict
1.I believe that unfertilized eggs can have a more of a tendencies to bind but I think its more due to care the mother receives. If a owner isn't expecting eggs then they aren't providing extra calcium and a lay box which can cause laying problems.

2. A dragon that has been on meds is more prone to yellow fungus and it does commonly start around the vent/back legs.

3. Every mite I've ever seen has been red but I've heard they can appear black/really dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom