Alfalfa pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I have never used them as a substrate. However I have used them in roach food and as fertilizer in my yard. The pellets can absorb and hold moisture that is in the air. It's likely that's the issue...they also are good at holding moisture from stools and can mold. Mold is horrible...so I think the pellets are a bad idea.

briannamickle0314

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply! The more I'm reading the more I think so too. That's what the reptile place we got them from used and recommended so that's why we got that.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, it's understandable. I truly do believe this forum is the best place to get advice. A lot of pet stores really don't know what they are talking about. I have heard some of the worst advice in them...
A lot of people like using tiles...I may even try them.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I use tile and I LOVE it. It's easy to clean, and it files your dragon's nails. Just make sure you get a somewhat rough tile. Home Depot is where I got mine.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Even so, the alfalfa pellets need to be replaced with something else. Tile is a great substrate, it won't harbor bacteria and, fungi because, it is easily cleaned/sanitized. There are other benefits such as, tile stays warmer after lights out longer than other substrates, it also keeps your dragon's nails trimmed in a more natural way.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed, alfalfa is a bad choice of substrate. The mold and dust are problematic. When they start breaking down they get really dusty and can cause respiratory issues. I'm actually pretty allergic to alfalfa....

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I would also suggest taking it out. I use non- adhesive shelf paper, and love it!! It works extremely well, has some grip, and is easily wiped up.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
briannamickle0314":3uzj8ydw said:
I will prob a probably Friday. What about the reptile carpet? Anyone have any bad experiences with that?

It can be used, but it is honestly overpriced. Also, the kind with little loops can snag their nails. Plus, I have heard it smells and is hard to clean, and bugs tend to hide under it. Shelf paper (which I got a huge roll from Walmart for like $5) is much better. Tile is really good too. It helps file their nails down, which can be really helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom