Adventures of (: *UPDATE - help? - pictures!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thread about my two favorite little Beardie, Fiz :D And his brother KD
"Your hand is nice and cozy... I think I like you!"
FizInMyHand.jpg

He's giving me the stinkeye "Get that camera out of my face before I eat it AND you"
Fiz.jpg

He's such a sweetheart! I love him a lot & I love Bearded Dragons now!

NeosMom

Juvie Member
It's getting late and I needed to get off here, but remind me and I will get those details to you tomorrow evening. K? If I forget, it's not you. I just get really busy and distracted sometimes. Just send me a note about it. :) I'm always glad to help with anything that makes a dragon happier or healthier. Extra bugs on hand is a good thing. :wink:

Mindi (I so need to make a signature)

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
I came up with an acrostic for my siggy:) Look below!
Before it was "And may the odds be ever in your flavor!" -a hunger games fandragon
I've never made a banner... I like words:)
P.S.- how did the rocks turn out? NEOSMOM- Need the detailed explaination tomorrow:) Maybe just start an informational thread and give the link. 'Night, all! Mom will kill of she finds out i'm still up... and eating brownies a la mode in my room, no less:)
Me- I CAN HAZ CHOCOLATE?!?! OMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!!
Ohh, look everyone, more chocolate! OMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!
As you can see, I like chocolate! Too bad I can't feed Yoshi some. Oh well. I care for the little bugger too much. see my blog.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Neosmom: Whoops sorry I fell asleep & couldn't reply to you last night. And okay that's fine, I'm not getting the crickets right now anyway so it's no problem. :D

Zeus: Fiz isn't 16 inches yet. I know, he's tiny :(

SpitFyre: I like the signature :) You might just be as crazy as Yoshi! :lol: :lol:

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks. I like cozy stuff, and thought that since others had beardies who slept outside their cages, why couldn't mine (for a night, at least) Thus, the Cozy Box became Yoshi's lodge while the tank aired out. :D

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I am so sorry, Pumpkin. Last night I had to start Fluffy on her panacur for her pinworms. :( She didn't like that one bit. Plus with her starting and Figment just coming off I was making up baby food with critical care and probiotic, bathing her, and just generally apologizing for forcing the icky meds down her throat. Then I had to harvest my hornworm eggs from the tomato plant from the morning. I got really sidetracked. On a bright note, I did most of it while watching a really fabulous movie. Secondhand Lions.

Did you get your crickets? I will have a kinda slow morning at one point and can post the explanation from work if you need it. If your joking with me, then :p. Neo says I am always to serious. :mrgreen: What can I say? Too many responsibilities...

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Woah you're one busy person! Poor Fluffy :( And no I didn't get any crickets yet. This has been over a week, and I feel so bad for Fiz and KD. I'm running low on veggies too, so I hope i can get to the store soon! :( :( :( :( And haha that's fine you can post it whenever it's fine with me.

I got Fiz to eat some veggies. I put them on a napkin instead of in his bowl and for some reason he ate all of his veggies. He's so strange it's scary.

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
Mine's strange, too. He always poos on the square of carpet right in front of his veggie and water dishes. I reversed the setup so that the basking spot was on the other side of the tank, and guess where he poos? Right in front of his food and water dishes.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SpitFyre: Hahaha :D

I worked on my rocks today. Put another layer of grout on both pieces. How many layers do you think I should put? I know I definitely need another layer on the long platform piece, since some parts of it only have two layers. The stacked stair one has 3 or 4 layers on it already. I'm going to paint them after I'm done grouting.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Cricket Care 101: First, you want a good sized rubbermaid bin, I use the ones that are roughly 30x18x18. What is it? Like 32 quart maybe? Anyway... you cut a square in the top. The bigger you cut it, the more ventilation they get. Cover the square with screen. 1/2 inch or smaller crickets and you can probably get away with nylon screen. Bigger than that and it absolutely must be metal screen. Now that you have your basic box, you put in your egg crate. I use whole pieces. Put one, sprinkle a little dry food on it, add a second and sprinkle a little dry food on that one. Now, you add a few small pieces on top that are good for getting the crickets out of the bin. At the other end of the box you put a small plastic lid where you will put fresh greens (same stuff you feed the dragons is fine) and you put a small dish with cotton or a sponge in it to hold water.

Now, EVERY DAY what you are going to do is remove everything from the bin. Start with the food and water dish. Then shake the crickets into the bin and set the pieces of egg crate aside. You now have nothing in the bin except crickets, leftover food and waste. Tilt the bin onto one corner. What you want is all of the crickets together piled into the corner. Don't worry. Won't hurt them. You will probably need to kinda bounce / bang the bin on the corner to get them all there. Holding the bin like this, wipe the rest of the bin with a damp cloth. Now, tilt the bin to the opposite corner and do exactly the same thing. You have officially wiped out all of the waste and what remains in the corner is the crickets, waste, leftover food and any dead crickets. Set the bin flat and replace your egg crate with a little dry food to the clean corner. Go clean and refresh your vegetables and water dish while you wait for the crickets to crawl back over to their egg crate. By the time you return, there should be an orderly pile of waste in the corner with only a few crickets still around. Using a small paintbrush, sweep the waste onto some sort of dust bin. (I use large index cards.) Throw the waste in the trash. Give one more quick wipe in that corner with the cloth and replace your veggie and water dishes. You now have a clean cricket bin. :)

The best way to keep healthy dragons is to feed them healthy insects. This is why I breed my own insects. But whatever you do for crickets, by keeping them exceptionally clean like this you will avoid the bacteria and conditions that make the crickets unhealthy and potentially your dragons unhealthy. Additionally, if you actually follow these instructions daily, you will never have any cricket odor.

On a side note, I have stopped keeping crickets. Reason for this is that my babies have decided they don't like them and I find worms easier to keep. I started a superworm colony in January and I now have more of them than I know what to do with. It was a slow process, but well worth the work and the wait. And they are sooooooo much easier to keep.

Good luck taking care of Fiz. I'm off to cuddle and baby Fluffy for a while.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you SO much Neosmom! I'm really happy that you shared that with me because I would've never thought of doing that. :D :D :D :D

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Glad to help, Pumpkin. :) If you ever want to breed them, superworms, or hornworms I can walk you through that too. Supers and crickets are actually really easy to breed. Just takes patience. Good luck with Fiz.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well once they're big enough I'm going to switch over to superworms as their staple feeder. I hate crickets so much but that's my only option as of right now & they love them so much. Haha. Fiz is still only 14 inches, my little baby, and KD is just about 16 I think but he may even be more. So once they're both around 16-17 inches I'll start doing supers.

How's Figment and Fluffy and Crystal? Do you have a thread for them?

NeosMom

Juvie Member
You could buy 100 supers now and begin the isolation process. To go from there to actually having feeders to supply your dragons totally self sustaining is roughly 5-6 months. By Christmas you would have a constant food supply and not have these problems.

My thread is viewtopic.php?f=49&t=169048. I have to run. I'll catch you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom