A Dragon In The Snake Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
My precious sweet babu arrived today and has me wrapped around his tiny tiny tail!

First look at the little guy (his first look at me too, LOL!)

tumblr_moaihqIO7W1qz56kjo1_1280.jpg

Getting a bath after arriving.

tumblr_moaihqIO7W1qz56kjo2_1280.jpg

Climbing on my hand and trying to figure me out.

tumblr_moaihqIO7W1qz56kjo3_1280.jpg

Pancaked out and darkened up under his lights.

tumblr_moaihqIO7W1qz56kjo4_1280.jpg

He drank some water from a squirt bottle and ate about seven dubia just a few hours after arriving. He's the most adorable little thing and even if he's a bit shy now we are going to be best friends and have wonderful adventures together. <3

My sweet babu is almost seven weeks old. He is a sunburst tangerine hypo according to his hatch certificate. He was hatched April 28 and his parents are Dheyy and Knyte from Rio Reptiles, so he's got some serious good color coming to him as he matures. I'm so excited to see him grow and develop.

If you ever want a dragon, go to Cheryl. I can't say that enough. She's been incredible through the process of picking out a baby and helping me get going. beardeddragons.co

I have a million names in mind but I can't decide on one yet. I love Cheryl's naming scheme of using a "y" and some possibilities I've thought of are Veyron, Soveryn, Royal, Phoenyx, Drayden, Tornado and Skywalker. But I feel like I haven't "hit" on the right one.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Look @ that regal reptile!! The last pic you posted is the definition of the excuse me?? "look".. beautiful guy.. :) :D :wink: :p

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Iroh got stuck at 16 inches for a while, but today he's six months old, 17 inches long, and 293 grams. I think he may be a bit heavier, he's gotten so long he can't fit properly on my scale, so I'll have to put him in a tupperware to properly weigh him.

These are from a couple weeks ago!

tumblr_mtwvvdQ6V31qz56kjo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtwvvdQ6V31qz56kjo2_500.jpg

He's been a little bit grumpy lately, today he didn't want to eat his salad. He only ate a little. I am not going to have that silliness, so he didn't get any bugs at lunch and is going to get offered more salad before I give him his dinner dubia. I think he's coming into his "teenager" phase, he hasn't black bearded at me but he is finally headbobbing a little. Plus I think the weather changing to fall and the shortened days are having an impact.

I am trying to be gentle but firm and make sure what needs to be done that he doesn't like (baths, water drinks) still gets done even with him being cranky. He got a new UVB bulb last week and his temps are fine. And he will still cuddle and fall asleep on me.

And come spring/summer he'll be all grown up and into his adult coloring! We'll have so much fun next summer, he's going to go all over the place with me in a big-boy harness.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a fresh poop sample in the fridge to be sent out tomorrow for parasite testing. He's still doing typical teenagery things, not wanting to eat his salad, etc. But he's up to about 370 grams so it must not be too bad! I just want to make sure it's not a parasite issue.

My boy on June 12, 2013

tumblr_mwfk2qfzxP1qz56kjo1_1280.jpg

My boy today, November 17, 2013

tumblr_mwfk2qfzxP1qz56kjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwfk2qfzxP1qz56kjo3_1280.jpg

And his new, bigger, easier to clean basking perch.

tumblr_mwfk2qfzxP1qz56kjo4_1280.jpg

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just a quick update to say he's had his first dose of panacur and the second is on Saturday. He's eating sporadically but he seems to eat well when he does. I'm giving him plenty of water, electrolytes and Bene-Bac. And I don't think I showed the photos of his new swag here.

tumblr_mwqw8lmxY61qz56kjo1_1280.jpg

What a Beautiful boy you have!<3

My Si just shed his body/tail for the first time since we got him, and i am SO excited for him to finish his tail so I can see the rest of his bright color! Something about a bright colored Beardie that makes me smile! <3

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
(A much belated thanks!)

Well, my sweet pookie-bear is in brumation or as close to it as he can get without it being full brumation. He's been out of it for about six weeks or so.

Some days he'll wake up and move to bask under his heat lamp, others he'll just spend all day in his hammock under the CHE. Some days when I turn on his lights, I'll put him in his basking spot just to see if he'll bask. Usually when I come home late afternoon, he's essentially asleep in one of his hammocks with his eyes cracked open just a bit. I just tell him "Okay, buddy" and turn his lights off early. Other days, I'll come home to find him hiding from his lights, sleeping or trying to sleep.

I offer him dusted dubia when he's out and basking and seems a bit more with it, and then give him some squash baby food to make sure he poops. He's eating maybe once or twice a week. I do give him water and liquid calcium and bathe him every few days. Then cuddle him because he'll fall right asleep on me and not even move, LOL.

His weight is holding steady at about 400 grams (he's still 18") and his beard is in shed. His coloration is dark most of the time, though he brightens up in the bath.

As far as I can tell he's perfectly healthy and just brumating-ish despite only being about nine months old. I think maybe his body just got big enough, fast enough that it decided to go for the slowdown despite him not being fully grown.

We have snow on the ground and it's about 7 degrees today so I don't blame him, I'd like to be back in bed myself!

Oh, one thing I won a contest for custom art of your reptile and picked him, so when the art is done I'll definitely have to share it!

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Long time, no post..haven't had much to report because Iroh was still out of it, but he's waking back up and eating well again, thankfully. It's been a long winter!

I did a complete spring clean/deep cage cleaning and disinfecting yesterday and changed his tile out. Now that the weather's getting a bit warmer (some days at least, ugh) he's getting to run around some and sit on a pillow in the window (with the screen so he doesn't fall out).

Excuse the blurry photo but I wanted to show his size.

tumblr_n2whfiicy21qz56kjo2_1280.jpg

Eating a strawberry.

tumblr_n2wh0ecLau1qz56kjo4_1280.jpg

And his new tile.

tumblr_n2whqojaOg1qz56kjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2whqojaOg1qz56kjo2_1280.jpg

He lost a little bit of weight over the winter, but not too much, and I expect him to catch up soon. If I can just get him back on his greens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom