Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
What are you measuring the temperatures with? Where are you measuring the temps? On the basking spot, or on the wall of the enclosure?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That's why your temps are probably off. You need to measure basking temperatures directly on the basking spot, in the center...at the hottest point. Get yourself one of these - http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1714
They sell them at just about every pet store. Place the probe directly on the basking spot, and you'll get the most accurate readings.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Would work great. I know for a fact that Petco and Petsmart both sell a digital probe thermometer for under $10...so it shouldn't be hard to get. Place the probe on the hottest part of the basking spot, and let it sit for 30-45 minutes for the temperature to stabilize. This will give you the most accurate temp reading. You may have to try the probe in different spots until you find the hottest (and coolest) parts of the basking zone. Remember to let the temperature stabilize each time.
Good luck!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Did he start hanging out on the log after you divided your tank for the crickets? If so, he could be trying to thermoregulate. They need a cool zone and a hot zone, by cutting that tank in half you've basically made his side mostly hot...as there isn't enough room to develop a proper thermal gradient. I'd try to find another home for the crickets, and let him have the full cage back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom