Juvenile Rescue Help

daveyj0nes

Original Poster
Rescued a baby bearded dragon last night. He’s maybe three-four months old and small for his size. I’ve had adult dragons before, but no experience with juveniles. Have him in a temporary hospital enclosure with a T5HO 10% (basking areas measuring between 5-7 on the Ferguson Zone scale with UVB meter), and a 100-105 degree basking spot. Cool side is between 75-80. Took him to the vet today because he appears underweight and severely dehydrated. They gave him subcutaneous fluids and a variety of vitamin injections. I was told to feed him Emeraid Carnivore for the next week but I’m concerned that this could shock his system with too much protein since he obviously hasn’t been eating all that well. The vet prophylactically prescribed ponazuril, metronidazole, and fenbendazole. Based on my previous experience with dragons, this seems like a lot, and I’m worried about the stress it will put on his already fragile system. Will be collecting a fecal sample as soon as possible. Should I wait to see what he’s actually got, or is this sort of prophylactic deworming the recommended course of action for a juvenile? Any thoughts on the Emeraid Carnivore? I’m tempted to just feed winter squash baby food for the first week based on advice found in Sarah Sutherlands Pampered Beaedies book. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

Medications:
Metronidazole Suspension 50mg/ml
Fenbendazole Suspension 100mg/ml
Ponazuril Suspension 50mg/ml

Attachments

• D77D12B7-2A29-486D-B14C-EE1774819A02.jpeg
    D77D12B7-2A29-486D-B14C-EE1774819A02.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 159
  • E372002C-37CA-44E5-A948-78F7C98FDD17.jpeg
    E372002C-37CA-44E5-A948-78F7C98FDD17.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 9BFA1F74-3B27-4BF6-A4DC-831E9E242F86.jpeg
    9BFA1F74-3B27-4BF6-A4DC-831E9E242F86.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

daveyj0nes

Original Poster
Sometimes it's best to see how a dragon eats before taking it to a vet when it's new to you and the reason for its condition is just lack of proper care + feeding. It's a great sign that he's eating small crickets, you can offer a little bit of the critical care but giving him small amounts of insects is fine. Can you show the size of the crickets ?
I just fed the last one. They are tiny though. Maybe the size of a pencil eraser at the top of a pencil.

daveyj0nes

Original Poster
Wanted to update everyone. This is a picture from today. Hard to believe this is the same dragon from two weeks ago. 😊 Thank you to everyone who replied for all of your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpeg
    IMG_0743.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 51

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, he looks very happy there! I think he's going to be just fine. I'm sure he loves his UVB
light also. The humidity is no problem, they can handle ranges of 30-50%.
I'm happy to see he has improved so much.

Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom